NEurope
gaggle64

London 2012 Olympics & Paralympics

The following would work

- A thread for each sport.

- A sticky thread for general Olympic sports talk

- A sticky thread for general Olympic non-sports talk (mistakes, problems in London, good things that happen because of the Olympics, terrorist attacks, the budget and that sort of thing).

If a thread isn't used, then it isn't used. No harm there. If anything, it encourages discussion of the lesser sports (as it would get lost in a general thread).

Do it, MoKING.

Make the board. Do eet naaaw.

Ok since, I can't say no to Flink now can I.... plus you called me King :D

The following would work

- A thread for each sport.

- A sticky thread for general Olympic sports talk

- A sticky thread for general Olympic non-sports talk (mistakes, problems in London, good things that happen because of the Olympics, terrorist attacks, the budget and that sort of thing).

If a thread isn't used, then it isn't used. No harm there. If anything, it encourages discussion of the lesser sports (as it would get lost in a general thread).

K, I'll go with this format so, should we have a few country specific threads too maybe?

I'll get to making the forum in a bit once I feed Oisín his lunch (gotta go out at half 2 also so hopefully I'll get it done before that... if not will get it done by the Opening Ceremony this evening.)

Continue to use this thread till I have the forum sorted and I'll then move this thread there and this can be the General talk thread

EDIT

AND DONE

In record time too... I should get a medal for that

or like be remembered come N-E Awards time at the end of the year :wink:

If anyone spots any issues post them up and I'll sort it when I get back (or another mod/admin will be kind enough to do so)

or like be remembered come N-E Awards time at the end of the year :wink:

Most Threads Started in 2012.

Most Threads Started in 2012.

So long as I win :wink:

Anyway was just thinking bout the Paralympics, just as an FYI, we'll keep the forum open for the Paralympics too.

I've just had a look at the full sports list and there is a bit of overlap, Archery, Athletics, Cycling and such. So for those sports when the Paralympics start we can just keep using the current Archery, Athletics, Cycling, etc threads.

And I'll at the start of the Paralympics create new threads for the sports that only feature in the Paralympics, such as Wheelchair Basketball and others (so's that they don't get forgotten about at bottom of forum if I made them now)

EDIT:

Oh and I figured any other non-sports specific threads that get made (if any) we'll just stick to top of the page and leave all the sports threads unstuck that way they non events threads don't get mixed and lost amongst the events ones

So erm...anyone know how I can watch the opening ceremony whilst I'm in the US? Obviously iplayer doesn't currently work and it seems the NBC aren't really covering it all that much.

Sad times. :hmm:

Probably won't work but give it a try. It's the Norwegian broadcaster. http://nrk.no/ol2012/

I think it says that I'm not in the right country. I've also tried a proxy for iPlayer and not got anything. Which is disappointing.

It doesn't hugely matter, but it would have nice to have given it a watch.

Well I think its been amazing. They have done Britain proud with that.

Yep very impressed with the opening ceremony so far. I was worried we'd embarrass ourselves but I think it's been brilliant.

Edited by Shorty

I've not long got backed from work, I wasn't expecting there to be much to talk about but everyone genuinely seems to have had fun. Wish I had been able to see it now.

The only thing I didn't like bout the opening ceremony (so far) is during that whole celebration of British music not one play or mention of either Iron Maiden or Black Sabbath... FOR SHAME London, FOR SHAME Danny Boyle. :mad:

Just seen the Irish team come out, nice to hear a great big cheer from the stadium too.

Come on Team Ireland

I watched the James Bond and Mr. Bean bits on the BBC site. Good stuff.

Now where's The Doctor?

It may not of been as grand as the one in Beijing but it had alot of heart, entertainment, British humour and some down right brilliant music. Loved the realtime changing of the stage and the Olympic rings rising out of the ground was just amazing.

Bond and Bean ftw.

It took me too long to realize the countries are presented alphabetically :blush: Didn't hit me before Nigeria/Nibya.

WHose the flag bearer for Britain?

Giggs by chance? I'd like for it to be Giggs :D

EDIT

Haha, best tweet I seen so far

Queen sitting there saying "mine.... mine ..... Used to be mine.... Mine...."

WHose the flag bearer for Britain?

Giggs by chance? I'd like for it to be Giggs :D

EDIT

Haha, best tweet I seen so far

Its the cyclist. I forget his name, Chris something.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

british-flag.jpg.jpeg

Yeah where were Iron Maiden :mad:

Would have been awesome to have Eddie at the Olympics :D

I must say, good job, London. Great opening. Loved the "industrialization" segment, paving away all the green and forging the olympic rings.

The Mr.Bean segment brought a big smile to my face :)

(I confess, I almost expected The Doctor to appear at one point, as well :heh:)

I loved the symbolism in how they ended up lighting the flame.

Don't get someone from the past, look to the future.

Great Idea, unexpected and brilliant.

And damn, what an amazing honor for those 7 kids to get to light the Olympic flame at such a young age... would they be the youngest people ever to light it?

And I love that the cauldron is made up of some many little "petals" one for each country. Apparently each country will get their petal back at the of the games too to bring back. Brilliant idea.

Aside from the lack of Iron Maiden and Sabbath (maybe saving them for the closing *fingers crossed*) well done London