NEurope
Dog-amoto

Football Season 2012/2013

It's a seriously unfair scoreline for Celtic, who've been the better team (Not the most clinical, not to get confused). The ref hasn't helped their cause either to be fair, the way Juve defend corners is just outrageous, it's all fine stopping a player getting the ball when you yourself are trying to get the ball, but when you grapple and wrestle players to the ground and not even look at where the ball is coming from, that should surely be a foul and penalty, if it was like that Celtic would have had some 5 or 6 penalties.

That happens all the time though. Each team would be getting 5 penalties a game if they were given every time.

Celtic did themselves proud though and were unlucky to lose 3-0.

That happens all the time though. Each team would be getting 5 penalties a game if they were given every time.

Celtic did themselves proud though and were unlucky to lose 3-0.

Best English striker Gary Hooper did fuck all though....eh! :)

That defending at corners happens in every league. Its not just Italian league. Just an excuse to be used because Celtic couldn't hit a barn door.

The excuse that "it happens everywhere" is utter bullshit. What a way to bury your heads in the sand and just ignore the problem.

How is it ok to have your arms around an opponent, whilst not even looking at the ball as it's coming into the box. If you did that outside the box, you'd give away a free kick. Complete crap that the rules suddenly change as soon as it is inside the box. If more penalties were given for this kind of thing, then defenders wouldn't do it. I'd be livid if I was being hauled to the ground like some of the players tonight.

The excuse that "it happens everywhere" is utter bullshit. What a way to bury your heads in the sand and just ignore the problem.

How is it ok to have your arms around an opponent, whilst not even looking at the ball as it's coming into the box. If you did that outside the box, you'd give away a free kick. Complete crap that the rules suddenly change as soon as it is inside the box. If more penalties were given for this kind of thing, then defenders wouldn't do it. I'd be livid if I was being hauled to the ground like some of the players tonight.

I'm sure nobody would say it should be allowed, but it's just how it is.

The most frustrating thing about football is how nobody seems to know the rules in so many situations, there's so much confusion on what is and isn't allowed. In the NFL, while some rules may not make sense, they are 100% clear and everyone knows what you can and cannot do.

Juventus' defending no different from what Shawcross and Huth get away with at Stoke. When we recently played them knuckle draggers Shawcross was all over Giroud, just like Hooper got marked tonight.

I'm sure nobody would say it should be allowed, but it's just how it is.

The most frustrating thing about football is how nobody seems to know the rules in so many situations, there's so much confusion on what is and isn't allowed. In the NFL, while some rules may not make sense, they are 100% clear and everyone knows what you can and cannot do.

I'm pretty sure having your arms around an opponent whilst not watching where the ball is (by literally having your back to the ball and flight of it) and pushing the player away from the ball is not allowed. You really don't need to look at the rules for that one.

I know it happens a lot, but it shouldn't. Referees need to sort it out.

Look at 15seconds, where Lichtsteiner "falls" over after fouling another player. That's pure play-acting. Why didn't the ref spot that? That's when the score was still only 1-0 IIRC.

I'm pretty sure having your arms around an opponent whilst not watching where the ball is (by literally having your back to the ball and flight of it) and pushing the player away from the ball is not allowed. You really don't need to look at the rules for that one.

I know it happens a lot, but it shouldn't. Referees need to sort it out.

Look at 15seconds, where Lichtsteiner "falls" over after fouling another player. That's pure play-acting. Why didn't the ref spot that? That's when the score was still only 1-0 IIRC.

Celtic were doing their fair share of play acting too, several dives throughout the game, the left back did his best superman in the first half.

Celtic behaving poorly does not excuse the behaviour in that video though. That's completely shocking. I can't recall seeing that many instances in a premier league match of that severity!

Indeed, when I was watching the match I was just waiting for Lichtsteiner to get a 2nd yellow but it never came.

The one Flinky pointed out at 15seconds in that vid was just taking the piss. On the TV they had a behind the goal view which shows it even better. Lichtsteiner gives the Celtic player (think it was Brown) an almighty push, see him go flying then just tumbles to ground himself as if by some invisible force.

It's all easy to dismiss it and say "ah it happens all the time" but that should not be a reason to excuse it. And I can't even recall seeing a match where something like what Lichtsteiner wa doing happened so often and at every corner in the game.

I'm so excited / anxious about tonight's match.

Probably jinx it now, but also quite confident that United will get the desired result.

Today has been so slow, cannot wait for this match.

Allow me to sum things up for you lost south of the border who hadn't seen Celtic before last night in the last 5 years. Does that behaviour happen in every game? to a degree yes, no where near as bad as it did last night. It was disgraceful, made worse with the fact you have the idiot officials behind each goal staring at it and doing nothing. Did that behavoiour cost Celtic the game? No it didn't and any media (probably Scottish) trying to spin it that way is just bitter.

I'll make one thing clear though, you'll never get a pen for that, doesn't matter what the rules are, they're never given. I don't know who the clown was that said something about Hooper being the best English striker, he isn't. He's a damn sight better than some of the trash you've had over recent times, however he was poor last night. He let that RB get in his head and never got going.

Celtic were the better team but it doesn't matter how well you play if you make costly individual errors. We've beaten far better teams than that Juve side at Celtic Park but you can't hope to beat decent teams conceding after 2 minutes.

Never fear, big Georgy Samaras should be back for a 2nd leg hattrick in Turin.

So excited, nervous and scared for tonight's match. Terrified because the likelihood that we could get pumped 4 or 5-nil is very real. But, excited because I believe we could go there and win it. Anything could happen. If we start quickly and close their midfield down, thereby starving Ronaldo of service, then we could get something from the game.

I'm going to go for a 2-1 United win. Cmaaaaaaan.

Fair assessment @JonSt.

I'm off down the pub in a bit. Literally going to be full of people watching the Man Utd match. Not that I don't want to watch it, but nobheads are nobheads.

No Vidic tonight...

He was a rock against Everton. Controlled everything in defence. Hoping Ferdinand is up for it tonight.

I found this interesting:

The Following conditions must be met for an offence to be considered a foul:

- it must be commited by a player

- it must occur in the field of play

- it must occur while the ball is in play

Remove any one of these conditions and the offence is not and cannot be a foul.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_12_fouls_misconduct_en_47379.pdf

Apparently it is not a foul to manhandle a player while the ball is not in play. Presumably then the players booked last night before the corners must have been booked for unsporting behaviour instead, but the ref can't give a pen unless the ball is in play.

I found this interesting:

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_12_fouls_misconduct_en_47379.pdf

Apparently it is not a foul to manhandle a player while the ball is not in play. Presumably then the players booked last night before the corners must have been booked for unsporting behaviour instead, but the ref can't give a pen unless the ball is in play.

That's interesting. Must've been unsporting behaviour, like you said.

Excellent game tonight! De Gea, Welbeck, Carrick and Evans were fantastic. As were Ferdinand and Jones. Welbeck was so, so good with almost everything he did. Held the ball well, challenged for everything, went forward whenever he could, defended well. Man of the Match for me.

We could have won that. Any of Van Persie's 3 chances could have gone in. I was sure Welbeck's second effort had gone in before it went past the post. So close.

Ronaldo was contained in that second half. Rafael struggled in the first, but he seemed to get his act together in the second and I can't remember Ronaldo doing anything in that half. Khedira and Di Maria looked brilliant, though. They've got such a great midfield Madrid.

We can do them in the second leg now. :D Cmaaaaan. Made my day. I have the worst headache in the world, but that has helped somewhat.

Well that was a fine result for me. Happy with that.

Can't believe RVP didnt finish that left foot take down from Jones. And When Giggs got a break through, was screaming "SHOOOOOOOOOT!!!"

Still positive.

David De Gea..... WOW!

Well that was a fine result for me. Happy with that.

Can't believe RVP didnt finish that left foot take down from Jones. And When Giggs got a break through, was screaming "SHOOOOOOOOOT!!!"

Still positive.

David De Gea..... WOW!

I had a premonition of Giggs hitting it first time and it smashing the back of the net. Was gutted it didn't happen.

De Gea kept us in that game. Some of his saves were brilliant. Top keeper. He's going nowhere.

I had a premonition of Giggs hitting it first time and it smashing the back of the net. Was gutted it didn't happen.

De Gea kept us in that game. Some of his saves were brilliant. Top keeper. He's going nowhere.

I know, when they were saying Giggs is the oldest Champions League scorer and that he could top that, just had a hunch it'd happen.

Jones was solid too, he protected the defence so well, and Carrick was quality too.

Welbeck has scored 2 in 28 games this season.

I had no idea he was that bad.

Welbeck has scored 2 in 28 games this season.

I had no idea he was that bad.

You know nothing. When he has played, he's been pushed out wide the majority of the time. Like how Rooney hardly scores when pushed out wide, he benefits from being up top. With Rooney, Van Persie and Hernandez at the club, Welbeck usually gets played wide. Or as a sub, sometimes.

He's been excellent this season. Gave his all for the shirt and knows its about the team rather than his own personal glory. That goal is his reward for all the hard work he has done this season. To say Welbeck is "bad" shows you that either don't watch United's games, or you know very little.

Brendan Rodgers has the lowest total in points out of the first 26 games than any other Liverpool manager.

Did you know he was that bad?

I swear last season people were constantly slating Suárez for not scoring enough for a striker.

Brendan Rodgers has the lowest total in points out of the first 26 games than any other Liverpool manager.

What has that got to do with anything?

Rodgers has the job of rebuilding an entire team. Welbeck plays in one of the best teams in the world who is already there.

2 out of 26 is also the fraction of passes by Joe Allen which go forward.

Oh yes, I went there.