NEurope
Dog-amoto

Football Season 2012/2013

2 out of 26 is also the fraction of passes by Joe Allen which go forward.

Oh yes, I went there.

h6D0A0C5F

Madpool I'm just saying, stats say everything, Brendan must be awful because of that one stat.

I swear last season people were constantly slating Suárez for not scoring enough for a striker.

No, they were slating Suarez for being a cheating racist.

You honestly can't be happy with 2 goals in 27 games from a striker?

You will keep on shifting the focus to my teams shortcomings, which are no secret.

You will keep on shifting the focus to my teams shortcomings, which are no secret.

I'm happy that he's getting into positions and wants to score. If he was doing fuck all and lazing about the pitch, then I'd be angry. The truth is that he is getting better all the time. It's unrealistic to expect all 4 strikers to all be scoring 10+ goals each at this stage of the season. Van Persie has 23, Rooney has 13 and Hernandez has 14 (in all comps).

It's a shame in a way for Danny because he played upfront quite a bit for us last season and bagged 12 goals in his first full season at the club. He's had to sacrifice his position to accommodate the likes of Van Persie and Hernandez for them to be able to do their stuff. But, he'll do that, because football is about the team, rather than one person's personal glory. He understands that.

I didn't shift the focus over to Liverpool, Ell did. I went along with it for the lolz.

Not in particular no, but pretty happy with the other 50 goals scored with United 's other 3 strikers.

And to be fair that goal last night could turn out to be one of the more important goals scored this season for us. Shall find out in 3 weeks time :)

If Welbeck scored 5 goals all season, and he got them in away legs in European fixtures that meant we qualified to the next round, i'd be happy.

It's a strange one, you'd think he's 3rd choice striker so what ever he chips in with will do. However I see he's had 19 league starts with only 1 goal, which is Chamakh levels of rubbish.

However after he scores a vital goal you won't hear many man utd fans complaining.

It's funny how every one said Arsenal wouldn't score goals once van Persie left and if possible we've probably come out better. As good as van Persie was for us last year, it's always risky having one guy score so many goals and that showed on the odd occasion Wenger rested him, we were pony. Now you've a similar amount of goals shared out amongst 4 players. Might not look as sexy in the headlines but it's a lot more beneficial to the side.

It's a strange one, you'd think he's 3rd choice striker so what ever he chips in with will do. However I see he's had 19 league starts with only 1 goal, which is Chamakh levels of rubbish.

However after he scores a vital goal you won't hear many man utd fans complaining.

It's an insult to compare Danny Welbeck in the same sentence as Chamakh. Chamakh, aside from his opening 2 or 3 months, has been awful for Arsenal. Terrible player and a bad buy. Danny is a million times better, in every single way. I thought you knew better than that. :p

It's funny how every one said Arsenal wouldn't score goals once van Persie left and if possible we've probably come out better. As good as van Persie was for us last year, it's always risky having one guy score so many goals and that showed on the odd occasion Wenger rested him, we were pony. Now you've a similar amount of goals shared out amongst 4 players. Might not look as sexy in the headlines but it's a lot more beneficial to the side.

Well, it depends. Van Persie was there at the right time for you last season. Without him then, you would have struggled to make it into the top 4. As good as Arsenal's goal-scorers have been, you are still only 5th. That could mean the defence isn't as good as last season, or it could mean something else entirely. There's a strong possibility that Arsenal will finish outside of the Top 4, in which case a lot of people will point to the fact that this happened down to the sale of Van Persie.

He was free..

What did you pay his wages with? Carbon Dioxide? He's still a waste of money.

It's an insult to compare Danny Welbeck in the same sentence as Chamakh. Chamakh, aside from his opening 2 or 3 months, has been awful for Arsenal. Terrible player and a bad buy. Danny is a million times better, in every single way. I thought you knew better than that. :p

Well, it depends. Van Persie was there at the right time for you last season. Without him then, you would have struggled to make it into the top 4. As good as Arsenal's goal-scorers have been, you are still only 5th. That could mean the defence isn't as good as last season, or it could mean something else entirely. There's a strong possibility that Arsenal will finish outside of the Top 4, in which case a lot of people will point to the fact that this happened down to the sale of Van Persie.

It's the defence, nothing to do with van Persie. People who point to that are clearly stupid. His job was to score goals, we don't have any problems doing that. We've changed from being a one man team to scoring by committee.

What did you pay his wages with? Carbon Dioxide? He's still a waste of money.

Sheesha.

He is, but that doesn't deter from their comparable returns even though Welbeck has played far more games.

Can we both agree they're pony?

Let's face it Wellbeck is only being kept around because of this.

It's the defence, nothing to do with van Persie. People who point to that are clearly stupid. His job was to score goals, we don't have any problems doing that. We've changed from being a one man team to scoring by committee.

I know it's the defence, you know it, but there will be plenty who will just say "Arsenal sold Van Persie, and now they're fifth." Mainly because it's easy/lazy journalism.

Sheesha.

He is, but that doesn't deter from their comparable returns even though Welbeck has played far more games.

It's not comparable in the slightest. Danny had a good first season at United, and now with Van Persie arriving, he is having to play in positions that won't help his goal-scoring stats. You put Wayne Rooney on the wing, you'll see less goals, same with Danny. He's a striker, not a winger. But, he's played in that position numerous times this season for 3 reasons.

1. Because the other forwards are in-form, so the only way to get him in the side without disrupting them is to play on the wing.

2. He deserves to be in the squad because of how he's played, even if that means playing him out of position.

3. Even though he plays out of position, he's probably played better than all of our wingers, which shows how well he has done and how badly they have played.

If he played up top as a striker in each of those games, then the stats wouldn't look good. As for Chamakh, he has been terrible even without looking at his stats. He's never really given it all for the shirt and aside from a few good months, he never really looks capable of doing it at Arsenal's level. Also, he's 29...he's not going to get any better.

Also, we seem to be under the assumption that "returns" seems to be goals. Football isn't really that straightforward now, is it? By being in the team, Welbeck creates opportunities for others to score. Look at Luka Modric's stats, they never really set the world on fire, but he went for a lot of money, because of the job he did for that team. That alone sets apart Danny Welbeck from Chamakh.

I know it's the defence, you know it, but there will be plenty who will just say "Arsenal sold Van Persie, and now they're fifth." Mainly because it's easy/lazy journalism.

It's not comparable in the slightest. Danny had a good first season at United, and now with Van Persie arriving, he is having to play in positions that won't help his goal-scoring stats. You put Wayne Rooney on the wing, you'll see less goals, same with Danny. He's a striker, not a winger. But, he's played in that position numerous times this season for 3 reasons.

1. Because the other forwards are in-form, so the only way to get him in the side without disrupting them is to play on the wing.

2. He deserves to be in the squad because of how he's played, even if that means playing him out of position.

3. Even though he plays out of position, he's probably played better than all of our wingers, which shows how well he has done and how badly they have played.

If he played up top as a striker in each of those games, then the stats wouldn't look good. As for Chamakh, he has been terrible even without looking at his stats. He's never really given it all for the shirt and aside from a few good months, he never really looks capable of doing it at Arsenal's level. Also, he's 29...he's not going to get any better.

Also, we seem to be under the assumption that "returns" seems to be goals. Football isn't really that straightforward now, is it? By being in the team, Welbeck creates opportunities for others to score. Look at Luka Modric's stats, they never really set the world on fire, but he went for a lot of money, because of the job he did for that team. That alone sets apart Danny Welbeck from Chamakh.

It's all I was ever comparing. Nothing else.

It's all I was ever comparing. Nothing else.

Fair enough, but just relying on stats isn't really wise. As I said, he's been played out of position, so it's obvious his stats aren't going to look as great.

Europa League Newcastle v Metalist:

We dominated, lacked in the final 3rd slightly but scored two good goals. Both were incorrectly disallowed for offside, leaving the game at 0-0. Pretty annoying, although a scoring draw sees us through in the next round. All to play for, as they say.

Europa League Newcastle v Metalist:

We dominated, lacked in the final 3rd slightly but scored two good goals. Both were incorrectly disallowed for offside, leaving the game at 0-0. Pretty annoying, although a scoring draw sees us through in the next round. All to play for, as they say.

I dunno, the replays of the second goal give me the impression that it was offside. First was definitely ok, mind.

I watched the Spurs/Lyon game. All 3 goals were fantastic. Aside from that, it wasn't brilliant.

I dunno, the replays of the second goal give me the impression that it was offside. First was definitely ok, mind.

I watched the Spurs/Lyon game. All 3 goals were fantastic. Aside from that, it wasn't brilliant.

Bang on. It's hilarious what a one man team we are at the moment. I was laughing when the second free kick went it.

Really really love ITV HD on freeview. Makes me hate not having sky and resent the shitty streams that I watch games on when I can't be bothered with the pub.

itrAe6dyDMLOe.gif

Phwoar. Lyon goal Maddog posted was immense too, obvs.

I was surprised the game was on ITV1, didn't even know that they showed ANY Europa games at all. Always thought it was ITV3/4 or Channel 5 or something. Hopefully the second leg will be better.

It was obvious he was going to score with that second free kick. Great strikes. I love watching free kicks go in.

Was going to post this in the bad stuff thread, but compared to alot of the stuff in there, this is nothing at all.

I'm sidelined from football for 2 weeks, I've today been diagnosed with a .. "Hip Flexor Strain - Grade 1 tear"

Basically. My right hip and down the right of my groin hurt to fuck at the moment. Tore it/them?? last night :(

Heat packs and Anti-inflams prescribed.

The better side of it, Since our promotion as champions, in our new league we've played 2, won 2 :)

But I'll be screaming on the sidelines for the next few weeks :( gutted.