NEurope
Dog-amoto

Football Season 2012/2013

Maybe they are arrogant, we don't really see much about that in England, but they've got the stats to back it up. They're a very good football team.

They are good, but not as good as they think they are. And their behaviour on the pitch just reeks of arrogance.

It annoys me. :p

If they had gone up and attacked, Arsenal could have gained momentum on the counter and grabbed a second. Good tactics from Bayern.

Don't think it was tactics. Bayern couldn't really get an attack going.

Mandzukic had one good scene, and it lead to the 1-3.

Ribery was awful, Müller didn't do anything special, Kroos only scored a goal, didn't do much else, Schweinsteiger didn't play as well as we're used to.

Bayern had to defend because they couldn't get to Arsenal's goal.

They are good, but not as good as they think they are. And their behaviour on the pitch just reeks of arrogance.

Ribery was awful, Müller didn't do anything special, Kroos only scored a goal, didn't do much else, Schweinsteiger didn't play as well as we're used to.

Bayern had to defend because they couldn't get Arsenal's goal.

I'm pretty sure every Arsenal fan will disagree with you tonight. You don't play average football and win 3-1 away in the Champions League.

Even if certain players don't play as well as they can, collectively Bayern play good and effective football. They're walking the German League.

I'm pretty sure every Arsenal fan will disagree with you tonight. You don't play average football and win 3-1 away in the Champions League.

You do, if you're against an opposing team that plays poorly in the first 20 minutes.

You do, if you're against an opposing team that plays poorly in the first 20 minutes.

I never thought I'd spend part of my evening convincing a German that a German team played well against an English team, in England. :p

Yes, Arsenal were poor. But, Bayern exploited that and walked over them in the first half. Yes, they didn't play as attacking after that, but they didn't need to because they were 2-0 up away from home. Those away goals are precious in games like this. Arsenal got a goal back, which came from poor defending (and a corner that never was) but aside from that, Bayern were in control of the match. They should go through quite easily now.

I never thought I'd spend part of my evening convincing a German that a German team played well against an English team, in England. :p

Then let me give you that part back: Maybe you're right ;)

On a side note:

Those away goals are precious in games like this.

I hate this rule...

Then let me give you that part back: Maybe you're right ;)

On a side note:

I hate this rule...

Yeah, the away goal rule is harsh. But, it also means that you get teams playing attacking football or at least trying to get goals away from home. Otherwise, the amount of defensive or negative football would be even worse. It's a necessary evil. I've hated it for a long time, but I appreciate it because it is needed.

@dr4hkon whats the best beer in Munich? I'm going to need to watch the second leg through beer goggles.

Beaten by the better team, can't say more than that. Only disappointing because all we've got to play for now is Arsene's 4th place trophy. Get the bus booked.

@dr4hkon whats the best beer in Munich? I'm going to need to watch the second leg through beer goggles.

Beaten by the better team, can't say more than that. Only disappointing because all we've got to play for now is Arsene's 4th place trophy. Get the bus booked.

I wouldn't bother, you have no chance of winning that either.

Bayern had to defend because they couldn't get to Arsenal's goal.

I think you're utterly insane :) You easily deserved to win. What I will agree though, is on ribery. I have NEVER seen this guy have even a remotely good game. Admittedly I haven't seen him loads, but I've seen him a fair bit, and he looks so cack it blows my mind how highly regarded he is.

I think you're utterly insane :)

That's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me. :p

35108508.jpg

I love this meme

Admittedly I haven't seen him loads, but I've seen him a fair bit, and he looks so cack it blows my mind how highly regarded he is.

He's amazing in the Bundesliga, I shit you not.

I wouldn't bother, you have no chance of winning that either.

We've fucked everything else up this year, might as well go full whack.

We've fucked everything else up this year, might as well go full whack.

Don't you think it s weird that its almost a year ago when Tottenham were way more clear than this year, and we had to play each other. You won and everything turned on its head.... Surely the same cant happen this year!

Two big differences though 1. We're at home 2. We don't have Harry as manager

And in all honesty, a few of my spurs mates were ripping arsenal fans and I've been a bit quiet. They asked why, and I said, to be honest, they've just played a champions league game. We're not there. What really do we have to gloat about. Plus arsenal are still in it!

Don't you think it s weird that its almost a year ago when Tottenham were way more clear than this year, and we had to play each other. You won and everything turned on its head.... Surely the same cant happen this year!

Two big differences though 1. We're at home 2. We don't have Harry as manager

And in all honesty, a few of my spurs mates were ripping arsenal fans and I've been a bit quiet. They asked why, and I said, to be honest, they've just played a champions league game. We're not there. What really do we have to gloat about. Plus arsenal are still in it!

I can see us doing it again but equally I'm sceptical that lightning doesn't strike twice. There's only a week and location difference in the fixture, could be a very important for both sides. Good job we've got no midweek fixtures to congest it..

I can see us doing it again but equally I'm sceptical that lightning doesn't strike twice. There's only a week and location difference in the fixture, could be a very important for both sides. Good job we've got no midweek fixtures to congest it..

Having that Villa game between the Derby might help you lot get your act together. If it were this week, I could see a Spurs victory rounding off a terrible week for Arsenal, as it would put a bigger gap between you and Spurs.

It would be typical if Arsenal did come out and get something out of that derby, but it would be also typical if they crumbled. My heart and head says 2-2 draw. You'll beat Villa on Saturday 3-0, with some good performances from the strikers. Defensively, you'll look a lot better than tonight.

When does Wenger's contract expire? 8 seasons in a row without a trophy?...

2014 his current contract runs out.

I think if he doesn't pull off a miracle, he should leave on his own accord in the summer. But I reckon the board will keep him on until his contract runs out.

Yes, he doesn't win trophies. But, "he's keeping the company" in a money-making state, as in they don't blow and squander money and are not in huge debt. For that reason, they'll keep him. If he leaves, it'll be because he wants to. I'm not sure he wants to leave.

Besides, if he does go, I imagine a similar situation taking place to Liverpool's demise. It's not easy replacing a manager and just giving them a shit-tonne of money isn't going to guarantee anything. It has to be spent in the right way and on the right players. Paying 30 million for somebody like Danny Graham wouldn't get Arsenal fighting for the title, for example. But, 30 million on somebody like Falcao might. (he wouldn't go for 30)

There was a good post on Reddit by a guy who has been supporting Arsenal for 40 years, who said that basically this 8 year drought is nothing special, and current supporters were a bit spoilt by the massive success 10+ years ago.

He put it better than me.

There was a good post on Reddit by a guy who has been supporting Arsenal for 40 years, who said that basically this 8 year drought is nothing special, and current supporters were a bit spoilt by the massive success 10+ years ago.

He put it better than me.

I guess he's happy with Arsenal selling off/letting go of quality players and instead bringing in the likes of Andre Santos, Per Mertesacker, Gervinho and Park Chu Young.

I can't really see how anyone can be happy with an 8-year drought, especially when before that drought the same club were playing in big finals and challenging for all competitions. The key word there is "challenging". If Arsenal were getting to the top 2 in the league and reaching big cup finals and narrowly missing out, it would be excusable. But, for a club of this stature to be nowhere near competing is shocking. 21 points off the league leaders. If you count 21 points the other way, they are in the relegation zone. They are just as close to relegation as they are to the league.

21 points...

Gervinho is worth it just for the forehead jokes.

I really don't think anything is going to be solved by getting rid of Wenger though.

Gervinho is worth it just for the forehead jokes.

I really don't think anything is going to be solved by getting rid of Wenger though.

Maybe or maybe not. But, clearly his philosophy isn't working or it isn't transferring over to the players or he hasn't got the right players to play the way he wants.

But, he recruits the players and he should have final say on who comes and who goes. With regards to what happens on the field, the buck stops with him.

2011-12 Final League Position 3rd - 19 points behind

2010-11 Final League Position 4th - 12 points behind

2009-10 Final League Position 3rd - 11 points behind

2008-09 Final League Position 4th - 18 points behind

2007-08 Final League Position 3rd - 4 points behind

2006-07 Final League Position 4th - 21 points behind

2005-06 Final League Position 4th - 24 points behind

2004-05 Final League Position 2nd - 12 points behind

2003-04 Final League Position 1st - 11 points ahead

2002-03 Final League Position 2nd - 5 points behind

I've bolded the ones where they either were ahead or came within 10 points of catching the league leaders.

Look at those last 4 seasons. This time a decade ago, Arsenal were either within touching distance of winning the league or they had actually won it. But, looking at how far behind they are finishing, I don't see how anyone cannot be alarmed by it. Yes, the likes of Chelsea and City have been pumping cash into their teams and as a result the league has become more competitive. But, Arsenal have not adapted to this issue whatsoever. If they finish outside of the top 4 this season, which is a very distinct possibility, then they are in big trouble.

Even looking at those finishes, one or two things need to happen. Either fans realise that this really is as good as it gets for Arsenal (A 4th placed team, 3rd at the very best) or something at Arsenal needs to change. Just for the record, Wenger has brought in some very good attacking players this season, which is the right move. But, they are still so far behind as a cohesive unit and yesterday just shows how far out of their depth they are against the really good teams in Europe.

We have players who aren't performing anywhere near the full ability. A couple years back, Vermaelen was one of the best CB's in Europe but he looks completety list now. Ramsey's never been the same since he Shawcrossed and it's a similar story with Sagna, can no longer beat a man, always has to turn back.

Wenger's philospy was aways bound to have some lows. When you spend anywhere near the funds of the Manchester sides or Chelsea, it's hard to argue that you should be matching them but on the other hand when you've had seasons better than all of them have ever accomplished, it's hard to settle for scrapping for the runner up places. It's all the more annoying when you know there's plenty of money to spend and it's never getting used.

On the bright side, we're having our worst season in a long time but we'll still finish above Gareth Bale.

We have players who aren't performing anywhere near the full ability. A couple years back, Vermaelen was one of the best CB's in Europe but he looks completety list now. Ramsey's never been the same since he Shawcrossed and it's a similar story with Sagna, can no longer beat a man, always has to turn back.

Wenger's philospy was aways bound to have some lows. When you spend anywhere near the funds of the Manchester sides or Chelsea, it's hard to argue that you should be matching them but on the other hand when you've had seasons better than all of them have ever accomplished, it's hard to settle for scrapping for the runner up places. It's all the more annoying when you know there's plenty of money to spend and it's never getting used.

On the bright side, we're having our worst season in a long time but we'll still finish above Gareth Bale.

article-2147150-133228E1000005DC-30_634x444.jpg

You've had better seasons than the one where we one the Champion's league? Do tell.

Also, I love Kalou in the picture, he knows he is being kicked out of Chelsea and just looks so moody!

article-2147150-133228E1000005DC-30_634x444.jpg

You've had better seasons than the one where we one the Champion's league? Do tell.

Also, I love Kalou in the picture, he knows he is being kicked out of Chelsea and just looks so moody!

You mentioned the Champions League.

Is this where i come in and...

tumblr_llxbaqNnkD1qdmmz9.jpg

;)

The treble says hiiii.

What I'll always remember about Arsenal's invincible season is that they lost to United in the semis of the FA Cup and Chelsea in the Champions League. Could have been an even better season for them, but it's amazing that the opposition they lost against in these two competitions just so happened to be their rivals in the league, especially in the Champions League.