Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

Murr

Rather than compare it to MK/DKR (which it will never beat honestly), why not just appreciate it for what it is? It's not just a poor man's Mario Kart this time around.

I understand what you're saying but I didn't enjoy the original and this looks like more of the same with a twist :hmm:

It may end up being decent but I don't have much hope that it'll satisfy me personally.. though I'd be happy to be wrong :heh:

The first was a poor man's Mario Kart? But it was a masterpiece compared to MK Wii.

Hell, I'd go so far as to say it was a masterpiece compared to MK7. Having the option of turning off rubberbanding is something Nintendo should have taken note of because it ruined my enjoyment of MK Wii (although it was pretty poor game anyway after MK DS) and MK7 (horrible rubberbanding on this even on 50cc).

As long as they've kept that option in there, along with the mission mode which was great, this will be a definite purchase. I'll admit some of the course design could have been better but it generally decent (the Samba de Amigo tracks were pretty well done as were the Super Monkey Ball ones).

If Ryo hazuki from Shenmue returns I hope they have a stage set in Dobuita, racing around the docks where you had forklift races in the original game.

All that said, I didn't enjoy the original at all, so I hope this is a lot better.

(MKWii was a much better game imo.)

If Ryo hazuki from Shenmue returns I hope they have a stage set in Dobuita, racing around the docks where you had forklift races in the original game.
That would have to be the equivalent of the Oval in Mario Kart Double Dash though, passing through waehouses and alleyways, as the forklift track was really quite small.

I too thought Mario Kart Wii was brilliant.

That would have to be the equivalent of the Oval in Mario Kart Double Dash though, passing through waehouses and alleyways, as the forklift track was really quite small.

Baby Park? That course was brilliant.

No way was this better than MK Wii. Superb arcade alike handling with the wheel which meant anyone could play? Sublime designed wide tracks, straddling a fine line between too wide and thin? A feature set that made Wii seem to have an online network! Miracle!

Seriously, this was a great game but in no way would i say it destroyed MKWii. It was buggy as hell imho and the sliding mechanic felt extremely rubbery.

ANYWAY - as much as this seems like good news this is EXACTLY why SEGA went under!

They release things far too much and damage their IP's.

They could have at least waited a couple of years or just released DLC for the original.

I too thought Mario Kart Wii was brilliant.

I never thought of it like that. I was thinking of just a remake of the forklift track from the orignal game but yeah, going through the warehouses would be better, with maybe even a cameo of the homeless man that teaches Ryo fighting moves at the dock, standing around inside one practicing kung fu moves lol

Edited by Helmsly

The first one came out in February 2010, so it'll be more than a couple of years.

Time flies. Perhaps this is because I've been playing the IOS version lately!

Still...for a Kart game it just feels too soon. I'd rather SEGA worked on something else - perhaps something original. We all know there used to be a studio in there whom could produce wondrous, imaginative, innovative experiences that could grab you and make you feel like you were sitting in an arcade. Maybe I hanker for that rather than this. :love:

ANYWAY - as much as this seems like good news this is EXACTLY why SEGA went under!

They release things far too much and damage their IP's.

This statement is so wrong. Can you name a franchise that Sega treated like this before their failure? Because the most obvious example, Sonic, didn't even get this treatment before the Dreamcast. Hell, the Saturn didn't even get a proper Sonic entry at all.

Either way, I don't think two years is that short for a game like this, a party racing game. Especially considering the first one showed plenty of potential (as I hear, anyway)

This statement is so wrong. Can you name a franchise that Sega treated like this before their failure? Because the most obvious example, Sonic, didn't even get this treatment before the Dreamcast. Hell, the Saturn didn't even get a proper Sonic entry at all.

Either way, I don't think two years is that short for a game like this, a party racing game. Especially considering the first one showed plenty of potential (as I hear, anyway)

Perhaps I'm wrong then. It just seems like SEGA puts out a lot of 'meh' sonic titles when he is their mascot. If you have an 'iconic' gaming figure at least make sure that content is AAA.

Well yeah, but that happened after they went under. Before, they were doing exactly the opposite, they never fell back on "safe" options, and took so many risks that didn't pan out (Game Gear, Sega CD, releasing the Dreamcast early while aiming for online play...They were too ambitious for their own good)

• 5 weeks later...