NEurope
Hero-of-Time

The Last Story Official Topic

Clearly our RPG tastes do differ. :D

Boring was probably the wrong word for Xenoblade. I think it just got too big for it's own good, kinda like the Fallout/Oblivion series. I don't really care for MASSIVE worlds that take ages to travel around. I much prefer a more streamlined experience, which is probably why I love FFXIII and it's sequel so much.

I found Xenoblade boring. Well not boring per say, I got bored of it, I should say. It was too big, I never did a single sidequest because there were way too many and things just never seemed to explain themselves fully. Just too much in it, was too daunting. And I just stopped caring.

Totally agree with these comments. I found Xenoblade very overwhelming, as it throws too much at you. This is hard for me to say, because I'm always saying I like exploring... which I do, just with game worlds that are a bit more carefully crafted.

Horses for courses, of course. I just don't like way RPGs are going, when I'm really only after another game like Dragon Quest VIII.

Lovely picture! Did you buy it there/win it?

Beautiful isn't it! They gave them to everyone who played the competition death match. Double sided as well. The other side is the main char facing off against some giant beasty.

Fallout 3 was one of the single most impressive gaming experiences ever created, I loved every moment of it. If I thought Xenoblade was anything like Fallout 3 I'd have got it day of release!

Zechs get Xenoblade, get it now... even if you don't get round to playing it till after you finish Last Story, on my recomendation I think you will love it.

Also while on Xeno, I'm slightly upset to see some negetive posts about it, I thought it was a dream to play. Maybe at the start of it the size and number of side quests was a bit overwhelming but once you get accumstumed to the world it was fine. Getting to a new area then running around collecting sides quests before moving on. Most quests were kill X number of enemies or collect items, which you would do anyway, rarely did you have to look for certain things as you'd come arcoss most in the general course of thing. If you had the side quest on your list you were gauranteed extra EXP for just moving on. And you rarely ever had to return to he quest giver to get the rewards too. And I just loved exploring the large world... if anything I wished it were bigger :D

There's a multiplayer mode?!

I just set up a friend code/meet up thread in the online forum

Anyway moving on to my own initial game Last Story experience.

Picked it up yesterday, local Gamestop only got in the standard editions though, dissapointed I didn't get the Limited Edition pack :(

But that said the game is awesome so far.

I listened to the music at the title screen for the first 10 mins, my god between Xenoblade and this two games in a row with such moving title screen music. Hopefully the music stays on par with Xenoblade throughout. :D

Also I am loving the voice acting again between this and Xenoblade I really hope NoE get the dubbing contracts for all other future Nintendo published RPGs going forward to the WiiU. You just know had NoA been onboard with both these games from the start they would have had an US voice cast that would have been sub par. Slightly better than Xenoblade here though as there seems to be a few other accents, like Scottish and Irish on some NPC's too where Xeno it was pretty much all english. Nice to get a bit more variaty.

Does anyone know if some of the voice cast from Xeno are also voicing Last Story? Some seem familiar?

Only weird thing I have with the voices so far though is Zeal sometimes sounds like Harry Potter :heh:

Anyway on to combat, I liked the auto attack at first, again reminding me of Xenoblade, but without the extra dept of choices that Xeno offered I soon switched attack to manual and finding this much better for this game for me. Only thing about the controls I'm not liking though is I wish they used the Wiimotes IR pointer for when you are in Seek mode or when using the crossbow, that would have made the Wiimote controls perfect. (I have a CC but no CCP and will be sticking to the Wiimote :D)

Love the vaulting over objects and players, allows you to get nice and fancy during combat :D

Characters and story so far I am liking, though was a little confused for a while (first 2 chapters I think).. so far I think I'm up to Chaper 5 I think it was?

Also messed with the "Colours" option a bit, looking forward to get more colours unlocked so I can customise my chars better... also messed with removing some armour parts.... did anyone else remove Syrennes chainmail leaving her with just a bra? *cough*

(I don't think it effected her defence stats either but I didn't check properly... I just liked looking.... *cough*

Got Lisa back to the Tavern and about to go find medicine for Warren is where I am

Also I was loving when Syrenne invited Lisa to have a bath *cough*

I also went into the room and peeked into the bathroom... was hoping for a nice hidden cutscene, shame it was just a black screen with text

Don't know why Syrenne got upset though... didn't she invite Zeal to join them during the previous cutscene :heh:

[/perv]

Zechs get Xenoblade, get it now... even if you don't get round to playing it till after you finish Last Story, on my recomendation I think you will love it.

Also while on Xeno, I'm slightly upset to see some negetive posts about it, I thought it was a dream to play. Maybe at the start of it the size and number of side quests was a bit overwhelming but once you get accumstumed to the world it was fine. Getting to a new area then running around collecting sides quests before moving on. Most quests were kill X number of enemies or collect items, which you would do anyway, rarely did you have to look for certain things as you'd come arcoss most in the general course of thing. If you had the side quest on your list you were gauranteed extra EXP for just moving on. And you rarely ever had to return to he quest giver to get the rewards too. And I just loved exploring the large world... if anything I wished it were bigger :D

Picked it up yesterday, local Gamestop only got in the standard editions though, dissapointed I didn't get the Limited Edition pack :(

I listened to the music at the title screen for the first 10 mins, my god between Xenoblade and this two games in a row with such moving title screen music. Hopefully the music stays on par with Xenoblade throughout. :D

Also I am loving the voice acting again between this and Xenoblade I really hope NoE get the dubbing contracts for all other future Nintendo published RPGs going forward to the WiiU. You just know had NoA been onboard with both these games from the start they would have had an US voice cast that would have been sub par. Slightly better than Xenoblade here though as there seems to be a few other accents, like Scottish and Irish on some NPC's too where Xeno it was pretty much all english. Nice to get a bit more variaty.

Does anyone know if some of the voice cast from Xeno are also voicing Last Story? Some seem familiar?

Only weird thing I have with the voices so far though is Zeal sometimes sounds like Harry Potter :heh:

Anyway on to combat, I liked the auto attack at first, again reminding me of Xenoblade, but without the extra dept of choices that Xeno offered I soon switched attack to manual and finding this much better for this game for me. Only thing about the controls I'm not liking though is I wish they used the Wiimotes IR pointer for when you are in Seek mode or when using the crossbow, that would have made the Wiimote controls perfect. (I have a CC but no CCP and will be sticking to the Wiimote :D)

Love the vaulting over objects and players, allows you to get nice and fancy during combat :D

Characters and story so far I am liking, though was a little confused for a while (first 2 chapters I think).. so far I think I'm up to Chaper 5 I think it was?

Also messed with the "Colours" option a bit, looking forward to get more colours unlocked so I can customise my chars better... also messed with removing some armour parts.... did anyone else remove Syrennes chainmail leaving her with just a bra? *cough*

(I don't think it effected her defence stats either but I didn't check properly... I just liked looking.... *cough*

Got Lisa back to the Tavern and about to go find medicine for Warren is where I am

I also went into the room and peeked into the bathroom... was hoping for a nice hidden cutscene, shame it was just a black screen with text

Don't know why Syrenne got upset though... didn't she invite Zeal to join them during the previous cutscene :heh:

[/perv]

I played it last night with auto attack on and didn't enjoy it, changed to manual this morning and am liking it a lot more. It pretty crap they didn't put in Wiimote aiming for the crossbow, pretty shoddy if you ask me. The game does look really nice and things start to pick up at about chapter 5ish.

It looks grogeous too and the voice acting and music are great.

The combat system and the battles are quite good when you get used to them. The closest thing to it is Gears of War. You use cover a lot to launch attacks and switch between ranged and close range.

I don't love it yet and will have to play some more. On the subject of packaging, the limited edition is the best limited edition on the Wii in terms of packaging, presentation and extras.

[/perv]

You should have chosen not to peek! The following conversation was something I wouldn't even expected in Grand Theft Auto. So dirty :p

Anyway, how in the world do you do a slash properly? It's making me nuts in a boss battle which is pretty much the only way to defeat it. I either jump to the side or stand up, the slash doesn't happen.

You should have chosen not to peek! The following conversation was something I wouldn't even expected in Grand Theft Auto. So dirty :p

Anyway, how in the world do you do a slash properly? It's making me nuts in a boss battle which is pretty much the only way to defeat it. I either jump to the side or stand up, the slash doesn't happen.

I peeked :)

Yeah, the slash can be a little tricky to do at times. I tend to wait til the writing goes yellow and then do it.

The amount of slowdown in this game is really killing it for me. It happens alot of the time, and it even happens when im not fighting anything. I was on chapter 25 and just walking though the caves caused the game to slow to a crawl.

I will give praise to the boss fights in the game. They seem well thought out, with tactics rather than brute strength being the way to go. Still doesn't stop me from grinding though. :D

I'd love to have pre-ordered this and be playing along but I don't think my Wii has been on since I finished Skyward Sword. :o(wait, I started Little King's Story didn't I...) I've just been going between DS, 3DS and the GBA Micro more recently. After Xenoblade murdered my zest for RPGs last September, I've tentatively been rediscovering it on the handhelds.

...A new Sakaguchi game... for once on a console I own...

I'm very early on, but I am pretty sure

Lord Jirall(?)

66971_jirall_2.jpg

is the same voice as Alvis:

250px-Alvis.jpg

Also, going out on a limb here, but I swear Mirania is voiced by Montserrat Lombard (Shaz from Ashes to Ashes)

226_ashesshaz06.jpg

SOMEONE AGREE WITH ME

The more I play this the less I enjoy it. The battle system seems irritating, I'm not really sure what I'm doing half the time other than mashing the A button, people are shouting at me to diffuse someone's magic, I don't have a clue how to that and can't find it in the tutorial, I upgrade weapons and armour, but there's no weapon or armour tree and nothing is really clear. I'm finding it a bit of a mess to be honest.

I'm at a huge boss that fires paralyzing spines and I'm totally stuck - which is a complete pain. Whilst this is killing me basic minions are nothing and I already cut through them very easily to the point where they pose no threat to me.

The more I play this the less I enjoy it. The battle system seems irritating, I'm not really sure what I'm doing half the time other than mashing the A button, people are shouting at me to diffuse someone's magic, I don't have a clue how to that and can't find it in the tutorial, I upgrade weapons and armour, but there's no weapon or armour tree and nothing is really clear. I'm finding it a bit of a mess to be honest.

I think you just have to attack which ever ememy is about to cast a spell. You can usually tell which one it is by the countdown timer on them

Has anyone tried the online yet? There's been no replies/codes post in the online thread yet... http://www.n-europeforums.com/showthread.php?t=33883

Well I'm up to chapter 10 and here are my thoughts so far. I don't really find myself caring about the story or the characters at all (though I do like Syrenne. God bless her drunken, unwashed soul :) ), but the set pieces are interesting enough to provide motivation to carry on.

The battle system really is the meat and potatoes of this game and I'm enjoying the game enough so far, but I do have to say that the game is far too easy for its own good. Having the Lives seems like a huge mistake to me as it's almost impossible to die! I'm looking forward to getting stuck into the online mode because there's a lot of depth to the battle system that isn't really being explored in the game itself, outside of boss battles (though again, they're far too easy)

For those wondering, there's basically no exploration at all (thus far anyway). It's ultra linear, but it has provided enough variety in gameplay to keep things interesting so far (the Shenmue 2 style chase sequence in particular was fun!)

As far as the visuals go, I actually expected a lot more slowdown based of of everyone's comments. It's not that bad at all! (yeah there's a bit of slowdown here and there, but it's not too bad. Much closer to say MGS3 than Perfect Dark!) Edit: Ok just got to the forest chapter and the framerate was pretty shittastic but it was not too bad before then Visuals are pretty stunning in places, with globs of effects that you wouldn't think possible on Wii (GODRAYS!, THAT LIGHTING!) though it has that same weird effect as in RE Mercenaries 3D where NPCs in the distance lose frames of animation. It's a bit uneven, but when it shines it's one of the Wii's very best looking games and could easily be mistaken for a PS360 title (it's just a shame that those various issues drag it down)

I'm not overly impressed with the soundtrack so far (save for a couple of tunes, particularly the online lobby music!) but the localisation is excellent. British as fuck and fits the game perfectly!

It's an interesting take on the RPG that is the polar opposite of Xenoblade in many respects. While it doesn't come close to that masterpiece of a game, it's still one of the most enjoyable JRPGs I've played this gen so far (though I suppose that's not saying a lot in the grand scheme of things). Either way, much better than Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssee so far - despite its flaws.

I'm very early on, but I am pretty sure

Lord Jirall(?)

66971_jirall_2.jpg

is the same voice as Alvis

Yep. I think you're spot on. That's the first thing I thought myself!

Edited by Dcubed

I'm at a huge boss that fires paralyzing spines and I'm totally stuck - which is a complete pain. Whilst this is killing me basic minions are nothing and I already cut through them very easily to the point where they pose no threat to me.

Use the Gale move by holding down A. Then move the cursor into a magic circle to dispel.

As for the boss, use dispel on a yellow magic circle this will give a shield which protects you from the para shots. This leaves the boss wide open for an attack.

On chapter 36 out of 44, the end is nigh.

Jesus H-o-T as always you are flying through the new game :heh:

I only managed to get 2 more chapters done this evening (6 & 7)... mostly on account of between 7 and moving on to the "gaurd duty" of chapter 8 I went for another run around the city and ending up finding and doing a few side quests :D

I also found the Arena for teh first time and man was that cut scene funny as hell in front of it when you talk to Syrenne, haha.

Speaking of funny on chapter 7...

When at the Stargazer thing with Lisa and you get to choose to talk to or touch her how many of ye went to try touch her? Be honest?

Now how many of ye then went to try and touch her a 2nd time, haha, I wasn't expecting that and almost fell off the chair laughing :D

Also again has anyone else tried some of teh online yet?

I'm still waiting on friend codes to get posted in the online thread :wink:

I was going to play this during this weekend but Resident Evil Revelations is keeping me from doing so... it's also keeping me from sleeping, it's SO damn frightening!!!

A little off topic and ignore the question if you like, but how would you rate the effort of the graphics: art direction and style on this game -- out of 10.? The IGN review, written by some drunken trollop, gave them 7.5, implying.. no, actually saying they are nothing like HD graphics on the PS360... No shit Sherlock...

From what I've seen, the environments and characters look stunning. Looks like a lot of effort went into them.

The art style is a hell of a lot better when you see it with your own eyes than it appears via internet videos/screens. Clearly inspired by Sakaguchi's time in Europe - has a distinct French renaissance period flair to it; especially the architecture.

Technically, it's superlative on Wii. There aren't many Wii games of the more 'realistic' style that you can say have had real effort put into them on the visual front, but the difference between these select few and all the others is day and night. I tend to use Resident Evil 4 as my 'SD benchmark' when it comes to these sorts of games, purely because of how astounding the graphics were (and arguably still are). The Last Story is certainly up there.

I can find literally no fault with the graphics.

A little off topic and ignore the question if you like, but how would you rate the effort of the graphics: art direction and style on this game -- out of 10.? The IGN review, written by some drunken trollop, gave them 7.5, implying.. no, actually saying they are nothing like HD graphics on the PS360... No shit Sherlock...

From what I've seen, the environments and characters look stunning. Looks like a lot of effort went into them.

Well, wanting great graphics on the Wii is foolhardy. Saying that the graphics of this game are great by Wii standards is a bit like saying a man missing half the fingers on his hand produced the best picture he could.

Always annoys me that Nintendo didn't make their console HD to be honest. To think that Lost Odyssey was made much longer ago by Mistwalker and looks far better is saying something.

I just wish now that the great games we've had recently like Xenoblade and The Last Story could have had the power of an HD console behind them to give them the quality they deserved. I find it a little bit sad that these fantastic games have come to the Wii so late in it's life.

I really hope we see the likes of Xenoblade continue on Wii U.

Anyways, I'm tempted by this game, but there's something kinda holding me back, I'm not sure what exactly. I don't think the dull colour palette is helping, but I'm liking the more action approach it seems to take in its gameplay.

Well, wanting great graphics on the Wii is foolhardy. Saying that the graphics of this game are great by Wii standards is a bit like saying a man missing half the fingers on his hand produced the best picture he could.

Always annoys me that Nintendo didn't make their console HD to be honest. To think that Lost Odyssey was made much longer ago by Mistwalker and looks far better is saying something.

I find that very harsh. Just because we have these HD consoles doesn't mean that anything less powerful can't produce "great graphics." Metroid Prime is a generation old, nearly two, yet I would say that contains great graphics. Punchout looks beautiful, as does Skyward Sword. Yes, it is subjective, and there is the art style to take into account, but HD isn't everything. I would take the visuals of something like Muramasa and Skyward Sword over the majority of what I've seen on a HD system. In a heartbeat.

They can be hit and miss at times. Some of the outdoor enviroments look really good, as do the main character models but when it comes to dungeons and NPC's they are pretty shoddy.

I also don't care for the shine/glare that seems to be on characters, it's annoying as hell and not needed at all.

To think that Lost Odyssey was made much longer ago by Mistwalker and looks far better is saying something.

Lost Odyssey is just a much better game, period.

I just wish now that the great games we've had recently like Xenoblade and The Last Story could have had the power of an HD console behind them to give them the quality they deserved. I find it a little bit sad that these fantastic games have come to the Wii so late in it's life.

Yeah, it would have looked great in HD, but what ya gonna do? I would have preferred it on a HD console not because of the graphics but so the thing would run smoother than it does. As I stated before, the slow down in the game is terrible at times and I can only imagine it's because of trying to stuff so much onto the Wii disc.

I'm on the Last Boss now, it's kicked my butt twice, despite me being overlevelled. I will get back to it later and it will fall to my blade!

Once I finish it off I will give my review/end thoughts on the game. Too many sites review RPG's without finishing the main story and as such I don't think the review is valid.

Yeah, it would have looked great in HD, but what ya gonna do? I would have preferred it on a HD console not because of the graphics but so the thing would run smoother than it does. As I stated before, the slow down in the game is terrible at times and I can only imagine it's because of trying to stuff so much onto the Wii disc.
I'd have liked to have seen the power used to create smooth character models and enabled the game to look consistantly beautiful throughout, instead of some areas looking incredible and others not so, and nice textures.

But yeah exactly, can only hope that the game is either ported and upgraded, or we see a sequel. I'm looking forward to finding out what the team is working on for the 3DS!

Look forward to hearing your final thoughts on this game!

Thanks for your opinions guys. Currently involved in a debate with the IGN reviewer on her method of scoring. According to her no Wii game should be credited with more than 7.5 for graphics. Very odd, but she isn't budging :wtf: Sorry to interrupt you all anyway.

Thanks for your opinions guys. Currently involved in a debate with the IGN reviewer on her method of scoring. According to her no Wii game should be credited with more than 7.5 for graphics. Very odd, but she isn't budging :wtf: Sorry to interrupt you all anyway.

Tell her she's an idiot, because she is.

Super Mario Galaxy 1&2 are definitely worth more than 7.5! They'd look at home on the HD consoles.

I find that very harsh. Just because we have these HD consoles doesn't mean that anything less powerful can't produce "great graphics."

I think it does mean that. What you're probably referring to is artistic style of the game as opposed to graphics. Essentially put, imagine any Wii game with a nice art style (Mario Galaxy, Okami, etc). Put this game on a PS3 or 360 with the exact same art style and it will be guaranteed to look at least twice as good. That's what I'm getting at when I say the Wii is a poor console for graphics.

There's no denying that Wii games look smeared and terrible on a HDTV even using its highest resolution setting. That, and the graphics are on par with those of gamecube games. While 6-7 years ago we might have considered these graphics good, today they are sorely lacking.

I still think that wii games should be judged by its capabilities... If a car can do 100 mph but with a certain driver averages at 70 you can say the driver isnt the best... In the way that they aren't making the most out of the hardware... Same with wii games... I'm so bored of people slating wii GAMES for their poor graphics... Slate the console til the cows come home, but the games are a different animal. They are being made within a hardware limit so there are going to be good wii graphics and bad wii graphics... Whinging that they aren't in HD is pointless and unfair of you are scoring the games in a review... The wii is not capable of HD, so stop harping on about how the game isn't as pretty as HD...

This IGN reviewer sounds like a total moron... A graphics score MUST include artistic direction, and where some games lack the polygons they MORE than make up for in art direction!!!

Plus we have a HD Nintendo console now, so be happy haha and Monolith Soft are making a game for it already so again, be happy!!

I honestly don't think it's that soul destroying to play a wii game with its SD visuals... It's not even a shame. I own all 3 home consoles, and yes I love great graphics... But so what? I still love my DS and iPhone and GBA... I love the Wii. I love a lot of its games but I dont love pointlessly complaining and wishing that it was HD when it's not and never will be :P just look forward to the future! All these hard done by games developers 'slumming' it on the Wii will have probably learnt a thing or two about artistic design... So let's see what they produce on an HD console eh? We all knew what we were getting into with the Wii... And this is the end of its life so chin up and look forward to Wii U... (please change the name Nintendo...)

Edited by Deku-Nutz