NEurope
MoogleViper

Awesome stuff thread

They were both from the same place, so I'm guessing they don't allow linking.

Basically a guy had not long left to live, so he walked his two unmarried daughters down the aisle and gave his future blessing for when they do actually get married for real.

That doesn't sound very funny...

It's a shame - metapicture rips everything from reddit and also reuploads the pics from imgur to their own server, then decides no hotlinking. Fugs!

If this is real then it's incredible...

252.gif

Ans as a vertically challenged person myself this is pretty amazing as well!

This is both amazing and weird.

It's an audible illusion. Basically it sounds like it's getting lower and lower, but it actually isn't. Click on the sound bar to listen to a sample.

Also, it says at the bottom that they used a sound like it for the sound of the Batpod in Batman as they wanted the sound of an engine which never changed 'gear' or tone, but constantly ascended. Awesome!

It's an audible illusion. Basically it sounds like it's getting lower and lower, but it actually isn't. Click on the sound bar to listen to a sample.

Also, it says at the bottom that they used a sound like it for the sound of the Batpod in Batman as they wanted the sound of an engine which never changed 'gear' or tone, but constantly ascended. Awesome!

Even though it's coincidentally bound to happen, I always find it weird when people mention something that I've recently been reading/seeing/learning about shortly afterwards. Was reading about Shephard Tones and the broader Strange Loops just last week! It's a very interesting thing, though.

(a much less interesting and not all that awesome quick audio/visual illusion to check out is the McGurk effect)

Even though it's coincidentally bound to happen, I always find it weird when people mention something that I've recently been reading/seeing/learning about shortly afterwards. Was reading about Shephard Tones and the broader Strange Loops just last week! It's a very interesting thing, though.

(a much less interesting and not all that awesome quick audio/visual illusion to check out is the McGurk effect)

When i'm not at work, I will certainly do that. These things are fascinating.

While listening to that I convinced myself I could hear the switch to the next tone.

I've also seen a video of the McGurk effect, and it's quite fascinating!

I watched the McGurk effect, and it didn't really work for me. I had to really strain to hear it any other way than what it actually was.

The McGurk effect is an excellent thing to learn about because it can help you understand the difficulties people like me endure daily! Without context i can find it very hard to pinpoint what sound is being made -- at work I have to use the phones often, and asking for someone's post code is a dreaded thing -- D, B, T, P, G (and e) all sound the same to me. The phonetic alphabet is a great invention (but not perfect for people with hearing difficulties -- sometimes 'echo' and 'golf' sound similar, as do 'tango' and 'bravo' with some regional accents), but most people don't know it so they say things like "P for Pea" or "B for Berry" (terry derry gerry perry... it doesn't help!).

Luckily most postcodes can be kind of memorised -- if it's an irish accent and you're struggling to hear what they're saying then typically they're saying BT rather than some other combination of The Same-Sounding Consonants. Similarly, scottish = G. Similarly, some accents mean my brain confuses A, H, K, J, Y, C (!), E. And M and N, of course, but the accent gives it away (mancurian or london?). With many accents 2 and 3 sound similar, as well as 5 and 9. When someone's post code is BT32 2DG... well it's difficult. I'm basically hearing the exact same sound 7 times in a row so I have to rely solely on context and a lot of trial-and-error to ensure I'm getting it right.

... SO yeah - if I can see the lips of the speaker I can know instinctively what it is they're saying. I did have one guy that made me feel fucking shit because I couldn't locate him on our system by postcode alone. I transferred his call to someone else and THANKFULLY they couldn't understand his postcode either, which made me feel a lot better.

But yeah - ultimate point; a large part of my job involves talking to people that I can't see, and for me it's like I constantly have no idea exactly what people are saying. If I explain that I'm 'hearing impaired' then often the customer acts almost insulted that an employer would hire a deaf person for a job that requires making calls. It's incredibly shaming to endure this day to day.

The McGurk effect is an excellent thing to learn about because it can help you understand the difficulties people like me endure daily! Without context i can find it very hard to pinpoint what sound is being made -- at work I have to use the phones often, and asking for someone's post code is a dreaded thing -- D, B, T, P, G (and e) all sound the same to me. The phonetic alphabet is a great invention (but not perfect for people with hearing difficulties -- sometimes 'echo' and 'golf' sound similar, as do 'tango' and 'bravo' with some regional accents), but most people don't know it so they say things like "P for Pea" or "B for Berry" (terry derry gerry perry... it doesn't help!).

Luckily most postcodes can be kind of memorised -- if it's an irish accent and you're struggling to hear what they're saying then typically they're saying BT rather than some other combination of The Same-Sounding Consonants. Similarly, scottish = G. Similarly, some accents mean my brain confuses A, H, K, J, Y, C (!), E. And M and N, of course, but the accent gives it away (mancurian or london?). With many accents 2 and 3 sound similar, as well as 5 and 9. When someone's post code is BT32 2DG... well it's difficult. I'm basically hearing the exact same sound 7 times in a row so I have to rely solely on context and a lot of trial-and-error to ensure I'm getting it right.

... SO yeah - if I can see the lips of the speaker I can know instinctively what it is they're saying. I did have one guy that made me feel fucking shit because I couldn't locate him on our system by postcode alone. I transferred his call to someone else and THANKFULLY they couldn't understand his postcode either, which made me feel a lot better.

But yeah - ultimate point; a large part of my job involves talking to people that I can't see, and for me it's like I constantly have no idea exactly what people are saying. If I explain that I'm 'hearing impaired' then often the customer acts almost insulted that an employer would hire a deaf person for a job that requires making calls. It's incredibly shaming to endure this day to day.

Dude, you're like the Samuel L Jackson character to my Bruce Willis. The McGurk effect makes your life hard every day, and I am impervious to it.

BRB off to fight crime and foil J7's attempt to commit atrocities.

Dude, you're like the Samuel L Jackson character to my Bruce Willis. The McGurk effect makes your life hard every day, and I am impervious to it.

BRB off to fight crime and foil J7's attempt to commit atrocities.

You're basically going to be making prank calls with silly postcodes, aren't you.

(personally the reason I like stuff like the shephard tone and mcgurk effect is it highlights the faliability in human perception; which I extrapolate to the faliability of us as a whole; which is most flawed by the fact we are ever so resillient against ever acknowledging these facts of fault)

An old friend from school is quite into circus and performing stuff. I knew he busks as a human statue thing and he's dabbled in Poi, but I had no idea he'd got to this standard (he's the one holding the other two up):

1238320_618077958244565_1418791552_n.jpg

Colour me impressed.

Kreiger makes an uncanny Kenny Loggins. And some of Archer's movements are perfect for Tom Cruise, especially the bar singing bit.