NEurope
Wesley

Netflix

Some colleagues of my girlfriend where going on about Tiger King, so we decided to watch the first episode on Friday. With not much to do this Easter weekend we ended up watching the whole thing (except for the new episode 8). Yeah what a ride. The fact that these people are in existence is just baffling. I couldn't help but feeling sympathy for Joe, what a guy. No doubt he did bad things but this being America I think this is just the tip of the iceberg regarding animal abuse. Not just for big cats but for all animals in general.

Carole is just wrong, she looks like the kind of woman who will do whatever it takes to get what she wants. And then there's the endless list of side characters. That ragtag crew of Joe, goddamn. You just can't make that up.

Saw this succinct summary of Tiger King on Reddit:

This series did really well in America because it's basically a Tiger'd up version of...

Hillary Clinton vs. Donald Trump

On one hand, you have the somewhat unlikeable lady who is more qualified, means well, but has a past she regrets parts of (and has since reformed). This is coupled with an entire population of whack-o's making up conspiracy theories about her and spinning them into implausible tall tales of murder. Somehow the bar for bad or suspicious behavior is lower for her compared to him.

And the OTHER person is a wildly unqualified (though somewhat charismatic to certain people) cult-of-personality meme-subject with a history of sexual predation, violence, racism, and idiocy. He's in it for the money and that's about it. He's got country music in his corner. In a habit of stiffing workers and not paying them a fair wage. Facebook loves him while reddit comment sections eviscerate him. He deserves to be in jail.

The other day I started watching the Michael Jordan/Chicago Bulls documentary series called The Last Dance. In my teenage years I was well into basketball, watched all the NBA games I could and played the sport a hefty amount, so much so that I was part of the local team. Watching this documentary really took me back to those years and it's been fascinating viewing so far. 

Micheal Jordan was always an icon in the sport but I love how much this series goes into some of his other team mates, namely Dennis Rodman and Scottie Pippen. Scottie Pippen was well liked in my circle of friends and we always said that he was a key part of the team. Watching this makes me sad for the guy having to constantly live in MJ's shadow but also being completely screwed over by the Bulls. The guy was so underpaid by them that i'm honestly surprised he didn't walk away from them a lot sooner. 

The guy in charge of the bulls seemed like a nasty piece of work. Your typical corporate douchebag that was all about the money and not the players. I hate people like that but I suppose that is why they are rich and powerful. They are quite happy to trample everyone in their path in order to reach that status.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the next episodes bring. It's just a shame that they are only showing 2 per week as it's something I would have happily watched one after the other. I've read that this has something to do with ESPN being part of the deal and Netlfix would have just put the whole thing up had they been in control of it.

Another thing I watched was the second season of After Life. I LOVED the first season of this and had no idea that a second was even being made. I'm not a huge fan of Ricky Gervais shows ( I do love how candid he is in real life though ) but as someone who does suffer from depression, the subject matter is one that really speaks to me.

I think the first season is the better of the two but I did find certain things in this one that I found myself nodding and agreeing to. I found some of it quite powerful and I shed tears a few times during the course of the series. I think Ricky is able to pull off emotional performances quite well and i've certainly got a lot more respect for him as an actor after watching both of these series.

Like the first series, the comedy is there but can be quite vulgar at times. There's no shortage in the use of the C word and the therapist, while funny, can often go a little bit too far. Saying that, there is a conversation that happens that involves him wanting to rape Hitler which I did find hilarious. The postman, who didn't feature that heavily in the first series, plays a bigger role in this one and i'm glad that is the case because he had me in stitches throughout.

Lots of emotion, lots of heart and lots of laughs. Well enjoyed it.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Animal Crossing made me completely miss the trailer for season 3 of Dark, my 1 of 2 favourite series on Netflix.

Fucking HYPED!

Rewatching season 1 & 2 soon.

And yesterday they released the official trailer apparently.

I've now re-watched season 1 and 2 completely, and I'm ready.

Really excited for the third (and final) season. Loved the first two and it's been one of my favourite shows of the last decade. Definitely not watching that trailer, though! :D 

1 hour ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Really excited for the third (and final) season. Loved the first two and it's been one of my favourite shows of the last decade. Definitely not watching that trailer, though! :D 

Yeah, for other things I'd normally be in that camp, but I was just so excited I couldn't help myself, and even watched some analysis and speculation videos.. Can't wait to see how it all comes together.

Anyway, I think it's going to end in 1 of 2 ways.

Spoiler

12 Monkeys style where nothing matters and everything that happened, will happen again or:

Donnie Darko style where the only way to get out of the loop, is for all of Winden to be erased, which to be honest just means erasing one person..

This actually may need it's own thread, maybe I'll make one on releaseday.

Managed to get my wife watching Avatar:TLA on Netflix. She was fairly non-committal at first. I had to put it on when she had very little choice other than to watch it, but slowly she got into it, and eventually absolutely loved it. Glad I got a re-watch as well, that show is so good.

1 hour ago, bob said:

I had to put it on when she had very little choice other than to watch it

Stanley Kubrick cinemagraphs trip me out (27 gifs) | Clockwork ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Frank Miller's Cursed is out on Netflix on July 17th. 

Now I know what to do on my wife's birthday.

Just watched Hannah Gadsby's Netflix special Nanette.

It left me speechless.

And now I have watched the first episode of Dark.

Mymy, what a perfectly crafted pilot.

3 hours ago, drahkon said:

How have I not seen this before...

Spoiler

Dude in the hotel (in 2019) is either Mikkel or Jonas' father. Most likely Mikkel, though.

5 hours ago, drahkon said:

Mymy, what a perfectly crafted pilot.

What the fuck? How are you only watching Dark now? I thought you had taste. :cheeky: 

One of the best shows of the last few years, imo. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

What the fuck? How are you only watching Dark now? I thought you had taste. :cheeky: 

Haven't seen new TV shows in ages :p

8 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Haven't seen new TV shows in ages :p

This was new in 2017/18. You're just slooooooow. :laughing:

47 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

One of the best shows of the last few years, imo. 

Funnily enough, we only just started watching it the other night. Absolutely brilliant.

We're watching it alongside our re-run of Bosch (Amazon Prime) and thoroughly enjoying it.

• Like 1

Well...

Spoiler

...this episode certainly raised a million more questions. And didn't answer a single one :D

Obviously, there's some time travel shenanigans going on in the Winden caves. Enter at one time and exit in a different year. Based on the map Jonas found it seems like there's one "transition point".

Not sure what to make of the whole nuclear power plant thingy. Right now I think it's mostly just a red herring. Maybe some power is diverted to that weird device/chair we've seen.
Speaking of: That chair is being used to send people through time (into the future) but it's not working properly, given the fact that people have their eyes burnt and ear drums popped.

Why birds and sheep die...no idea.

Also: That weird device at the end? Portable time machine?

Those are my theories for now :D

Will I be productive tomorrow? Or will I binge watch the rest of season one and the entirety of the second season?

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

This was new in 2017/18. You're just slooooooow. :laughing:

Jajajajajaja... :p

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OH BOY!

Spoiler

With all the talk of space/time/black holes, here's my theory: You can't just drop the typical "wormhole picture" more than once without me coming to the conclusion that it exists. And given how a theory about wormholes is time travel I am calling it now: The Winden Caves are the wormhole.

Anyways. Remember my theory from episode 2? "Dude in the hotel (in 2019) is either Mikkel or Jonas' father. Most likely Mikkel, though."

Who would've thought that Mikkel is Jonas' father. Is it that dude, though? Mikkel has died, made clear from the very first scene and the letter, but...

tenor.gif

For now, I'll stick to my theory that Sam Porter Bridges is Mikkel.

Lots of intrigue going on between a lot of characters. Love is a bitch, aye?
Everyone's connected...

And also: A wild Noah appears. Probably the one who sparks the fire to the "overarching, big storyline", whatever that may be.

Lunar-solar cycle. 33 years. Something's happening again. The Chernobyl disaster happened in 1986...maybe something similar might happen in 2019 (or later) and this time travel thingy is a means to prevent that?

Yeah...I won't do anything productive tomorrow...

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 2

I just read the overview on Dark and it sounds really good. I watch most of my Netflix with my wife and anything foreign language is kind of difficult, will have to see if I can find time to watch this alone.

My wife is too tired to start Dark. So I haven't seen it either... but we both really want to.

Spoiler

Ok, so whenever someone goes through the caves/travels through time, the town goes ape shit.
Birds and sheep died because Mikkel traveled back in time.

And now Jonas is in 1986.

Quite a bit of character development went down with a lot of the protagonists. Very grim...

Ulrich now knows that his brother is dead. His brother was sent to the future. Madd's eyes are burnt because the device (on the chair) is closed around the head...

Sic mundus creatus est. - So the world was created.
I think this is a quote from something regarding alchemy. I read about alchemy a few years ago when IAMX's creative head Chris Corner dived deeper into the philosophy.
What does this all mean, though? No clue :D

Not a lot of new information regarding the overarching mystery in this episode. This one focused more on the characters, and it was done very well...

Mr. Doppler (forgot his first name) and Ulrich's father know something (everything? Are they behind everything?), that much is obvious.

I have a crazy weird theory: Mr. Doppler and Ulrich's father are the same person. They are Jonas. If that's the case then there are actually three timelines intertwined, which could make sense given that Jonas came across a fork in the road/tunnel. Maybe the other path leads to a time further in the past (which would be 1953).
Most likely not even close to the truth because that has "time paradox" written all over it.

See you again in 50 minutes :D

Edited by drahkon

Spoiler

Ha, so 1953 does play a role :D

To clarify who I was talking about in the last spoiler:
Mr. Doppler is the psychiatrist, Charlotte's husband, not Helge (Yasin).

So Noah and Helge Doppler are working together. What exactly they are trying to do is still a mystery to me.

Way too many things are at play here. It's tough to keep track of all.

My biggest question: When did it start? And when will it end? And what "can be changed"?
These three questions have been asked in the show, too. And they will most likely play a major role given the fact that different images of "loops" keep showing up.

Spoiler

1953 is weird.

To be honest. This episode didn't give me any ideas for new theories, neither did it help confirming/debunking any.

Only thing I was right about: Wormholes exist. And I was half right that there are three timelines times involved.

Who is Sam Porter Bridges...is it really Mikkel? Is it maybe Helge? Or somebody completely different?

AND WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?

Two more episodes of season 1 to go. But first...lunch :D

Edited by drahkon