N-Europe

Gametrailers Top 100 Video Game Trailers

Happenstance

Just noticed Gametrailers were doing this countdown and thought it could make a good thread following it.

Personally I cant remember a lot of trailers so ive no idea what I would put as my top ones.

100-81

http://www.gametrailers.com/top-100-trailers/countdown/trailers-100-top-100/718580

80-61

http://www.gametrailers.com/top-100-trailers/countdown/trailers-80-top-100/718578

Trailers for games don't really do anything for me. Or maybe they do and I just can't remember any... but if they aren't memorable then surely they don't do anything for me... ::shrug:

Let me think. The Galleon trailer! It was good. As was the one for Kameo and other early GC games like Luigi's Mansion and Rogue Squadron. I remember watching tiny, grainy trailers and videos for those two on game.co.uk of all places before the GC came out. I watched plenty of gameplay videos for early GC games thanks to the famed VHS that some magazine gave away. :cool:

I also remember seeing the trailer for SSB Melee very late one night on that program... Cybernet was it? That was epic but largely due to me sitting up to the wee small hours to watch it, then being rewarded for that with a trailer for a Nintendo game. Good times.

What next? THAT Zelda trailer obviously - Ganon taunting Link a la Morpheus and Neo was amazing to behold. The original Twilight Princess trailer too. I remember watching it repeatedly late at night at University at the end of first year. By this point IGN were providing me with game videos. It gave (and every one of us) goosebumps.

After that I can't really think of anything. Anyone remember the short trailer for Fire Emblem on Wii? After playing Fire Emblem: PoR towards the end of the GC's life, I was pumped for the sequel. The Mario Galaxy trailers were spectacular. I remember in particular, getting shivers watching the E3 trailer for Galaxy 2 the other year when the Galaxy theme kicked in. Great stuff. :D

That Japanese bird trailer for the Wii U was probably the last one to wow me. I've watched that several times and have found it pretty impressive.

I think, for me, game trailers are all about nostalgia. They worked best when the Internet was just starting to supply us with game videos, which coincided with the leap from N64 to Gamecube - when there was still a little bit of wonder left in the process of hearing about games. Nowadays, we have information on demand and trailers are all full of standardised "bad ass" scenes that are meant to look super cool, so they've lost their appeal for me. Seeing the stuff on the GT list so far, a lot of those trailers are very similar, y'know? Game trailers cater to the current generation of gamers, I'm sure I would have lapped up these CoD and Killzone games when I was a wee teenager too.

Let me think. The Galleon trailer! It was good. As was the one for Kameo and other early GC games like Luigi's Mansion and Rogue Squadron. I remember watching tiny, grainy trailers and videos for those two on game.co.uk of all places before the GC came out. I watched plenty of gameplay videos for early GC games thanks to the famed VHS that some magazine gave away. :cool:

I saw you mention the Galleon trailer and immediately thought about the VHS from the first issue of NGC magazine.

I generally don't watch trailers. Especially for games I know I'm going to get anyway.

I always loved the intro to Battlefield 2142

Such a fantastic game! The ground assault to get all the bases and then the gameplay completely shifts once you break in to the enemy baseship. It's all frantic corridor shooting as you try to break through to the core. Amazing gameplay :love:

• 4 weeks later...