N-Europe

Job Hunting

Ashley

Looks like I'm caught in a second game of voicemail tennis. I was out all yesterday and received a message, which I returned this morning but no reply so I left a message.

Probably going to try calling again in a bit or I'll try again tomorrow.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think they're that interested in knowledge of Japanese if you want to be an ALT, and CIRs have to be fluent. Then again, I guess it might show a committed interest in Japanese culture.

I worded it badly. I know you don't need it but seeing as I already applied I think it could be a way of showing that I'm trying to improve myself. Although I think I may apply through other schemes anyway.

Plus work may pay for it so if they do I'll definitely do it.

So I'm starting some work experience on a regular Monday slot with an IT support guy. He rang me today to say that the company he works for is looking for someone to step in for him as he moves into a different role. He's said I should meet the team... Yay me. That's kind if an interview!

Looks like I'm caught in a second game of voicemail tennis. I was out all yesterday and received a message, which I returned this morning but no reply so I left a message.

Probably going to try calling again in a bit or I'll try again tomorrow.

Left another message today and just sent them an email. I'm not sure if I'm calling the right number, but I don't want to miss out on this job.

What do you say on these messages?

I hope you're leaving a message saying what time you'll be available to be called OR asking them if they miss you to give you a time to call.

I've not, but then again they've only called me the once. I did however suggest sending me an email if they can't get hold of me via telephone.

I've not, but then again they've only called me the once. I did however suggest sending me an email if they can't get hold of me via telephone.

Ah dude, you need to get on that. Call them back at every opportunity you get, don't let the chance of the job swim away. And leave a message with a good window to call you in! Make it like an appointment, it makes you sound organised :)

I got a call on Wednesday afternoon from Morgan Stanley asking if I would be interested in coming in for an interview for a temporary position (rolling 17 week contract) for an Operations Analyst. Apparently someone I know who works there put me forward for the position. After looking through the Job Spec I've decided to go for the interview which is today at 1pm. Haven't had much of a chance to do preparation for it but the job spec I was given had notes for the interviewer in what they are looking for so it looks pretty positive that they actually want to hire me. So unless I royally cock up the interview I think I'll be offered it.

This would leave me in a hard position though; I've got a lot of other things on the go at the moment and making some decent money from that. I've also said on a number of times that I don't particularly want to work for a big company at this stage in my life which is why I haven't applied for anything. However, this is slightly different as it was them who approached me...

It pays £9.74 / hour (inc holiday pay) which works out as around £20k / annum which is pretty good. From what she said on the phone is that although she can't guarantee I would be kept on for another 17 weeks, it was pretty likely. If I did take the job and then didn't get kept on I'd have absolutely nothing to fall back on though...

Ah dude, you need to get on that. Call them back at every opportunity you get, don't let the chance of the job swim away. And leave a message with a good window to call you in! Make it like an appointment, it makes you sound organised :)

I really should have, but then again they've not returned my messages at all as far as I'm aware. Apart from the initial message on Tuesday I'm winning about four calls to one.

I tried calling again just now and got nothing, so I've sent them a message through their job website software (didn't know I could do this previously). Hopefully that'll reach them.

Edit - It would appear my message got through, got an email saying he'll try and call me this afternoon if not Monday.

Edited by Ramar

Stuff...

Seems like a good opportunity, may as well pursue it as best you can and then, like jayseven says, turn it down later if it doesn't fit in with your plans.

My job situation took an interesting twist this week. The President of the company called me into his office having heard I was thinking of leaving. Made me talk through all of my issues, where I really wanted to be, agreed with what I said and then said he would come back to me next week with a new job/agreement and that he hoped I would stay. I have a pretty good idea the kind of thing it's going to be and if that comes up then I think I may stay put for a little while.

Just got the dreaded phone call. They aren't taking my application any further. All the phone hassle for that...

Although the bloke was very polite, gave me some feedback (which is nice for a change) and said they really liked me as a person just thought I lacked passion for their product (true, I know very little about their games) and that I didn't convey enough interest in gaming technology/side-projects in my free time. The last is really lame because I know the specific question and I discussed a game I've been working on in my free time, admittedly I don't know much about the latest gaming software and industry breakthroughs at tech level.. but still tough break.

I think the real problem was they're after QA people, they said during the interview they want people in it for the long haul. And I told the ideally I want to do programming.

So! anyone got any tips for good job sites for London?

Flatshareeeee! Once Jodie goes (to France) I need to get out of this Spurs-ridden house :p

And umm...sites are all pretty much the same. I don't think there's really anything London specific.

Seems like a good opportunity' date=' may as well pursue it as best you can and then, like jayseven says, turn it down later if it doesn't fit in with your plans.

My job situation took an interesting twist this week. The President of the company called me into his office having heard I was thinking of leaving. Made me talk through all of my issues, where I really wanted to be, agreed with what I said and then said he would come back to me next week with a new job/agreement and that he hoped I would stay. I have a pretty good idea the kind of thing it's going to be and if that comes up then I think I may stay put for a little while.[/quote']

Is this Sega still?

@Dan Dare - London.Jobs.co.uk (jokez)

---------------

*Maybe I am in the wrong area, or just don't speak to/know enough people but the fact is....a lot of people have to do shit they "don't want to". At HBOS I knew sooo many graduates that couldn't find something in their field. I only know one person who actually got something (from HBOS) and then someone else (ahem....) who is now getting paid a fuck tonne so its fine.

Kind of the same at my current job, (I am not saying just graduates, obviously) but the way I see it is that you are incredibly, incredibly lucky if you end up doing something that you want to do. Unless you have really low ambitions.

Claire my (Brad) laugh the other day. "I'd love to work for Look Magazine in London". Brad; "Ah cool, like the layouts and stuff, or....?" Claire; "Oh no, just the admin".

Lulz.

Anyway my job is going great. My friend just got an epic bonus because of me (well a bit. For helping me slash good improvement) and a pay rise yesterday, so I'm definitely going to put my head down and work hard in this job.

Also get the oppurtunity to do exams at some point (currently still in my probation but probably a few months after that will be as soon as appropriate to ask) which I'm really eager to do.

gr8.

Cheers dude, though there's only so many times I can keep telling myself that. :weep:

Well at least you put in a lot of effort though :-) To be honest, I'm surprised that they called you back to reject your application. Tis a rare thing in job finding to get that.

Just out of interest, you sound like you are going for games industry related jobs. What are you after and where are you? I might be able to help you out a little.

Cheers dude, though there's only so many times I can keep telling myself that. :weep:

I'd say at least you got feedback, like you said, unless you specifically go out of your way to ask, they never bother to tell you.

You'll get there Ramar!

Spotify this week has been great, training was a little slow, but I'm a bit more used to it being rushed, so it was nice to relax, learn everything and meet the new team and the team that already exists, everything is pretty relaxed, very fun etc.

I think it could possibly be even better than Jagex, if I dare say, the rules are slightly different and less restrictive because of the way they operate in Sweden, eventually I hope to transfer over there.

Funny how I started off with gaming and now I'm heading into music, deary me. :yay:

Just out of interest, you sound like you are going for games industry related jobs. What are you after and where are you? I might be able to help you out a little.

Ideally after a junior programming job, but I've been applying for pretty much any junior job I think I'm suitable for just to try and land something. Where am I physically? Luton. Where am I in terms of the situation? Looking at my BSc and thinking "ooo you're an expensive piece of paper".

Where am I physically? Luton.

I too an job hunting, but at least I don't share that particular problem... ;)

(Actually, as much more pleasant a town Harpenden is, there's a distinct lack of jobs for anyone who isn't a chartered accountant or a solicitor already...)

Now I think about it, I recall seeing an advertisement for a .NET programmer somewhere in Harpenden a few days ago. If that's you're interested, I'll dig it up.

I too an job hunting, but at least I don't share that particular problem... ;)

(Actually, as much more pleasant a town Harpenden is, there's a distinct lack of jobs for anyone who isn't a chartered accountant or a solicitor already...)

Now I think about it, I recall seeing an advertisement for a .NET programmer somewhere in Harpenden a few days ago. If that's you're interested, I'll dig it up.

Or a teacher, or went to oxford or cambridge etc. Most shops there last a year or two before going into administration. How is the job hunt going anyway?

I get to apply for teaching jobs in november (eek)

• 2 months later...

So on the job hunting front for me, I have been working 1 day a week with an IT company for free. They are starting a new venture that I am going to head up which is a new ISP business.

It's a bit in at the deep end but I'm super excited. Just finished my old job today and starting the new one on Monday. And yay! I get my weekends back.

So on the job hunting front for me, I have been working 1 day a week with an IT company for free. They are starting a new venture that I am going to head up which is a new ISP business.

It's a bit in at the deep end but I'm super excited. Just finished my old job today and starting the new one on Monday. And yay! I get my weekends back.

Are you still working for free? Or is this new venture paid?