Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Job Hunting

Ashley

Speaking form experience (although I've only done six interviews), the first impressions seem to go from "No..., just no." to "could be decent" (although that's clothing, how they dress and how they act). I'd imagine "they look perfect" to be a very rate thought.

Are you on jobseekers? They will sometimes pay for clothing if you need them for an interview/new job.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope they wouldn't give me any Jobseekers, as i'm a student on a 2 year course (already asked them).

I could afford a new shirt, i guess. But i think i'll just go with the grey number and see where that gets me. Although like most women's shirts, it's annoyingly low cut. Somehow i don't think sexy would go well in a Greggs interview.

Not my fault though! Stupid shirt makers.

I told my existing job about the new one today... They made a counter offer which up'd my salary by 30% and gave me increased responsibilities.

That's my decision been made for me, then!

This is fantastic! 30%! Well played you, I had wondered in all of this though, whats the travel/commute difference like compared to essentially 10min from your house?

Definitely go with the pin stripe shirt, shows you're making an effort for a job that you're not particularly interested in.

Make sure to seem enthusiastic, almost like Greggs is the best place to work. I know a few people who work at various stores and they don't tend to have a bad thing to say about it (it's not the best job, but it's by far the worst.) so don't worry too much.

:)

This is fantastic! 30%! Well played you, I had wondered in all of this though, whats the travel/commute difference like compared to essentially 10min from your house?

I can do it in just under 20 mins in the morning (drive).

Way home, usually around 25 depending which way I go and the traffic.

So I got an email about an interview and they asked me to pick one of two times. The problem here is I sent the initial email to your bog standard job email address, but the person replied with their personal email address. I only noticed this morning that my response went to the jobs email, how long should I wait for a reply before sending it to the blokes personal email?

It's almost been 24 hours without a reply.

So I got an email about an interview and they asked me to pick one of two times. The problem here is I sent the initial email to your bog standard job email address, but the person replied with their personal email address. I only noticed this morning that my response went to the jobs email, how long should I wait for a reply before sending it to the blokes personal email?

It's almost been 24 hours without a reply.

Just send it again now and say at the top "Hi there - I'm not sure if you got my previous email as it went to the generic account. Find email below!"

There's no harm and just shows you're keen.

Just send it again now and say at the top "Hi there - I'm not sure if you got my previous email as it went to the generic account. Find email below!"

There's no harm and just shows you're keen.

Righto skip, just sent the email.

Well my interview for Senior DBA role at my current employer is due to start in 8 minutes.

It's strange, I'm already employed with the group, I know the 2 guys interviewing me well, I've got 5 years of DBA Experience and knowledge of the current environments...

But I am shitting myself.

well.. here's hoping it goes well.

EDIT - Interview over, Spoken to one of the DBA's 10 minutes ago from the team, and he said that the he'd spoken to the guys who interviewed me and has said I've done well, and things went well.

My manager is back in office Wednesday, they'll speak to him then, so here's hoping.

cue slowest week ever starting from now. (doesn't help that DKR is out this week too, double slow week)

Edited by Murr

Good luck Murr!

I had an interview this morning. In typical me fashion (as I seem to be a bad American sitcom at times) at the start of the interview I was sat down and was asked to produce an example of written work. So I lent to my right to get it from my bag and my trousers popped open! The trousers I was wearing were way too tight (but show off my ass so well, which is obviously important in interviews). So as I left I was clutching my bag in front of me and scooted out.

Anyway it doesn't seem to have affected my chances as they just called to say I got the job.

I've some how got to tell my team leader tomorrow. That could be awkward. She's awesome and I will feel terrible. She'll understand but even so. Eek.

Good luck Murr!

I had an interview this morning. In typical me fashion (as I seem to be a bad American sitcom at times) at the start of the interview I was sat down and was asked to produce an example of written work. So I lent to my right to get it from my bag and my trousers popped open! The trousers I was wearing were way too tight (but show off my ass so well, which is obviously important in interviews). So as I left I was clutching my bag in front of me and scooted out.

Anyway it doesn't seem to have affected my chances as they just called to say I got the job.

I've some how got to tell my team leader tomorrow. That could be awkward. She's awesome and I will feel terrible. She'll understand but even so. Eek.

Is that the one at the uni?

Congrats :)

Good luck Murr!

YOU OWE ME €5,000

Thanks guys, and yes Paul it is.

I'm currently applying for another job...unlikely to get it but its for a company I really want to work for!

Hmm just checked the policy document related to bonuses (due to get one in October) and it doesn't say anything about it being voided if you leave. Would be nice to get that.

Somehow doubt they'll still give me an iPad though :heh:

Edited by Ashley

Interview seemed to go well this morning. They had a headhunter working on it so they want to see if any good people come through from that before moving forward. I should find out next steps within three weeks. Kind of a long time to wait but at least it's not a no. Really really hoping I'll get it now, a move back to London is very exciting.

Good luck Ramar. Let us know how you get on as I'll probably be doing a programming job in a year or 2.

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the uni thread but is there any good websites on where to find out about Graduate Fairs? I basically want to spend the next few months hunting for my graduate job and want to start the research early.

I just had a look on reed.co.uk.

They show the number of applicants who have applied for each vacancy so far. Wow. Just... wow.

The only job relevant to me was a sales assistant... 89 applications. :o

I think i'd rather not know.

Good luck Ramar. Let us know how you get on as I'll probably be doing a programming job in a year or 2.

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the uni thread but is there any good websites on where to find out about Graduate Fairs? I basically want to spend the next few months hunting for my graduate job and want to start the research early.

Well any that happen near your Uni should be on the Uni website (probably in the careers section).

Otherwise you could just choose a large company in the area you're looking at and see where they are displaying in the next few months and follow them. Assuming the big companies will go to most of the Fairs...

The only job relevant to me was a sales assistant... 89 applications. :o

I think i'd rather not know.

How many other jobs have these 89 people applied for?

What sort of job are you looking for, Pancake? Uni Summer job? Have you been out to hand you CV into every single place in town?

I'm not too fussy, i just want a job. But i only have experience in housekeeping and retail. It's a bit late for a summer job now, so i'm looking for part-time so i can keep it after i go back to college.

Have sent about a million CVs out, plus went into places and asked. Nothing! :sad:

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!