Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Job Hunting

Ashley

Ideally after a junior programming job, but I've been applying for pretty much any junior job I think I'm suitable for just to try and land something. Where am I physically? Luton. Where am I in terms of the situation? Looking at my BSc and thinking "ooo you're an expensive piece of paper".

I thought you did something more along the lines of design?

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ramar, come to Ireland...booming technology market :)

flip me really? We've got an awful IT market here in n.ireland and always have... yeah there are jobs in the IT sector but what jobs there are seem to be INCREDIBLY competitive as lots of experience people have been let go from other companies, as well as IT degrees being pretty popular (therefore lots and lots of grads, companies can pick and choose who they want)

flip me really? We've got an awful IT market here in n.ireland and always have... yeah there are jobs in the IT sector but what jobs there are seem to be INCREDIBLY competitive as lots of experience people have been let go from other companies, as well as IT degrees being pretty popular (therefore lots and lots of grads, companies can pick and choose who they want)

Yup. That's weird about NI. I know SAP have an office in Belfast, but they stopped advertising it to us. I'm surprised at Ramar's post about the UK too. There's an incredible shortage of developers in Dublin and wherever else IT places have offices. Oracle and Deloitte seem to be desperate for people at the moment. I studied Computer Science, and everyone in my class got a job almost straight away after we graduated. Of course you have to be competent and an internship/related work experience helps, but it's definitely not as difficult as...pretty much any other degree grad.

Apparently there's a shortage of developers in California too, but it's just hearsay from my end. @will&\#39;, is that true?

Is this Sega still?

I haven't checked this thread in a while so sorry for the slow reply. Yep still SEGA and the new job is now well underway. I'm basically managing the approval process and business plan for all non-boxed product. Just making sure the right things get through and that we have a fully backed up reporting procedure for when they do. It's a hell of a lot of work but very enjoyable.

Eddie, the engineer situation over here is a strange one. I don't think we do have too much of a shortage of developers, but companies like Facebook, Twitter, Google etc. have pushed salaries up so high everyone else is having to do the same to compete. The problem is that it's so easy to get funding for your own thing over here that many people choose to do that rather than work at a company. I don't think we have a shortage, just a massive massive tech bubble.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

After a run-in with my boss at work I've been actively looking for a new job for the past week or so.

Sent away a CV last Tuesday, had the first interview on Thursday and then was called back to a final interview yesterday. I found out that it was only me and one other person getting called back.

Felt the interview went really well, the MD was talking for ages and seemed really keen to know more about me and answer all my questions.

I should hear back today at some point.

This would be a great job for me as there will be a lot of leeway in what I can work on. I was told that I'd effectively be able to manage one of their sub-brands in a few months time once I learn how the business works.

• 3 months later...

Why is everything always fucking PART-TIME?? What's the point of that?? Just so they don't have to provide holiday allowance?? I heard it's more profitable for employers to hire two part time workers than one fulltime worker, as they don't have to provide the same benefits to the part-time workers. So greed, basically.

I'm on summer break now and was really enthusiastic a couple of weeks back when i started job search, but now i just can't be bothered and feel really discouraged after getting an idea of the type of job ads that regularly turn up.

There are so many job sites out there, but they all seem terrible. Full of vague computing jobs and 'exciting opportunities' that are not relevant to me at all. So that leaves Jobcentre Plus (which apparently 60 people apply for every vacancy posted on there, because it's so mainstream), and Gumtree, which i've actually found most helpful, but still not managed to find a job through it.

It feels like it's not even worth working part-time and that i might as well just be a poor slacker over the summer and content myself with Jobseekers Allowance. I didn't want it to be that way. *sigh*

:nono:

/rant.

Why is everything always fucking PART-TIME?? What's the point of that?? Just so they don't have to provide holiday allowance?? I heard it's more profitable for employers to hire two part time workers than one fulltime worker, as they don't have to provide the same benefits to the part-time workers. So greed, basically.

Part-time employees get exactly the same rights as full-time and therefore the same holiday entitlement.

If you work 2 days a week then you accrue holiday at 2/5 of the normal rate.

Hiring 2 part time employees, one 3 days, one 2 days shouldn't be any different to the employee than hiring one full time apart from they have to provide double the training.

Maybe businesses can't afford a full time member of staff because of the economic climate but still need someone to help out?

This.

Also you'll find that part-timers are more likely to do evening and weekend work, we currently have three part-timers for that very reason.

I know it's difficult, we've all been there, but do keep at it! You will find something. :love:

Thanks guys, i just get discouraged sometimes.

I know, we all do, my friends are currently all struggling to find full-time work in their fields (they did an extra year). For some reason they didn't start applying until after they finished their degree, so I imagine some of them will be waiting a while.

You will get there, it's just being pushy. Y'know N-E is always here to help! :awesome:

I was seriously tempted to pack-up and go back to China or join my mate in South Korea teaching again after seeing how hard it is to find work in this stupid country. I have finally found something though thank God. Systems Support Trainer. I quite like the sound of it actually, as it will be largely training and teaching people which i love, not just boring IT techy stuff, which i'm crap at. It is decent money and I get a company car, but i have to make-do with the fact that i'll be travelling alot on the road and probably away from home monday to friday most weeks. I'll see how the job goes. I might really enjoy it, as i have no problem being away from home, i just hope i work with some awesome people else it will likely be really lonely and miserable. I'm hopeful they will have similar interests to me though based on the job and type of person they were looking for interview wise.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess this is relevant here. I just sent my CV off to this new place. Praying it goes well and I get it and it just generally works out (obvious prayer is obvious). In the meantime, I'm entering negotiations at the end of the week where I currently work.

This is all real draining.

Good luck! :)

I need a new job. I'm sick of having to do other people's work because they're too stupid too know, too lazy to learn and (seen to be) too superior to have to.

I keep saying this, but then when I look I can't really find anything I'm suitable for.

Got an email completely out of the blue this morning from a company based up the road from me asking if I would be interested in a PPC Account Manager role with them. Although I've had next to no time to research them she's giving me a call in 10 minutes to discuss the role in more details.

She found me on LinkedIn and was impressed with my profile. Turns out she went to my school too which she said via email she didn't pick up on.

Got an email completely out of the blue this morning from a company based up the road from me asking if I would be interested in a PPC Account Manager role with them. Although I've had next to no time to research them she's giving me a call in 10 minutes to discuss the role in more details.

She found me on LinkedIn and was impressed with my profile. Turns out she went to my school too which she said via email she didn't pick up on.

Sounds like she just wants to bang bang bangety bang I said bang bang bang bang bangety bang.

Sounds like she just wants to bang bang bangety bang I said bang bang bang bang bangety bang.

It's highly likely.

Just going to copy and paste what I said to you on Facebook for everyone else to see.

just off the phone to her...

she's basically in love with me already

she thinks its amazing i have skills in social media, seo, ppc and web development because thats exactly waht they're looking for

someone who will mainly do the PPC but can help out in other areas too

going to meet her one evening early next week

only thing is.... they were thinking salary 15-18k

Will meet her next week and chat properly to see what the score is. Their office is no more than a 10 min walk along the road from me.

It's highly likely.

Just going to copy and paste what I said to you on Facebook for everyone else to see.

just off the phone to her...

she's basically in love with me already

she thinks its amazing i have skills in social media, seo, ppc and web development because thats exactly waht they're looking for

someone who will mainly do the PPC but can help out in other areas too

going to meet her one evening early next week

only thing is.... they were thinking salary 15-18k

Will meet her next week and chat properly to see what the score is. Their office is no more than a 10 min walk along the road from me.

The salary might not be ideal, but does the experience gained trump this? There may be a salary jump or two in the near future too if you were to stick around?

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!