Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Captain Planet!

Retro_Link

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=79951

Cartoon Network and Don Murphy to Make Captain Planet Movie

Source: Cartoon Network July 19, 2011

Cartoon Network announced today it has signed a deal with Angry Filmworks to develop a Captain Planet live-action feature film:

Cartoon Network has signed a development agreement with action-adventure producer Don Murphy and partner Susan Montford and their company Angry Filmworks to develop a live-action motion picture based on the groundbreaking, environment-saving animated hero, Captain Planet and the Planeteers, it was announced today by Stuart Snyder, president and COO of Turner Broadcasting System Inc.’s Animation, Young Adults and Kids Media division (AYAKM). The agreement gives Murphy and his company the exclusive rights to develop and package the property and advance it towards production.

Murphy and Angry Filmworks are most notably credited for the highly successful action-adventure franchise, Transformers (2007), Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009) and Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011). Murphy and Montford together produced the upcoming Hugh Jackman blockbuster Real Steel with Executive Producer Steven Spielberg. The company also is responsible for such action-oriented films as Shoot ‘Em Up (2007), The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2003), Apt Pupil (1998) and Natural Born Killers (1994). Angry Filmworks formed in 1998.

“The messages of Captain Planet are even more relevant today,†said Snyder. “We feel this team can bring the world’s first eco-hero to life in a powerful motion picture that is not only pertinent but entertaining.â€

“We are extremely excited about bringing the good Captain back to life,†said Murphy. “His adventures are known worldwide and he is recognized across generations. We expect to make a spectacular series of films with the amazing team at Cartoon Network.â€

“With the earthquakes, tornadoes, melting icebergs and all the other problems threatening the world right now, Earth really needs her greatest defender,†said Montford.

In an effort to inform younger viewers about serious environmental issues, legendary cable entrepreneur Ted Turner partnered with DIC Enterprises in 1990 to create the world’s first animated environmental series, Captain Planet and the Planeteers. The series was about a group of young people who combine their special powers (The Planeteers) to summon Captain Planet, an environmental superhero, to battle the world’s worst eco-villains.

Captain Planet and the Planeteers premiered in fall 1990, airing domestically and internationally in syndication and on cable networks TBS and TNT. Six full seasons of the series were produced in the original run of the series, featuring the voice talents of multiple guest celebrities, including Whoopi Goldberg (Gaia), Meg Ryan (Dr. Blight), Martin Sheen (Sly Sludge), Edward Asner (Hoggish Greedly), James Coburn (Looten Plunder), Dean Stockwell (Duke Nukem) and Sting (Zarm). Winning multiple Environmental Media Awards across its production, Captain Planet and the Planeteers also scored several Daytime Emmy nominations.

Captain Planet was Awesome! :D

I'm not expecting anything from this film yet, but will be interesting to watch where this goes... whether they manage to get any big names for this, whether it even goes into production, whether they'll place it alongside superhero/comic book movies or what they do?

Edited by Retro_Link

Fuck right off. Don't ruin Captain Planet.

Why don't these pricks create something new instead of ruining my childhood.

It's not something we have to pay any attention to if it turns out to be crap, just like people like the Transformers movies or not.

But it's quite nice to have old Captain Planet back!

It's not something we have to pay any attention to if it turns out to be crap, just like people like the Transformers movies or not.

But it's quite nice to have old Captain Planet back!

You can imagine the American kid being even more of a twat than he was in the cartoon.. Or for the sake of Hollywood they'll all be American.

Captain Planet, along with a lot of other childhood cartoons, is quite cringeworthy now.

HEART!

edit:wow just reading about the original cartoon etc on the wiki and the names that were attached to it are quite impressive!

Edited by Rummy

Guys, start throwing trash on the streets. Do you have a beautiful park or lake nearby? Pollute the hell out of that paradise.

Let's kill this thing before it happens.

An alternative positive viewpoint:

GOLDBLUM TO REPRISE ROLE AS JEW RAT, VERMINOUS SCUMM.

I used to like this and, for some reason, always remember the episode where they helped out a chef. As a reward, they asked him to cook them french fries, which he was aghast at!

OMG that is the episode i remember the best aswell. That is just really freaky!

Hmm... I have little confidence.

Live action captain planet... either he's going to be crappy CG or ...

IMG_1442capnplanet.jpg

I don't know how well the overt "hands round the world" messaging of 5 multi-national teenagers fighting evil corporations to save the environment will go down. I would have hoped that some subtlety would have been developed over 20 years.

I have doubts as it is and then they say that its the same people who made transformers, shoot-em up and league of extraordinary gentlemen. If they could fail to make giant robots interesting I doubt they can make kids/anyone care about recycling by using a mulleted smurf in red pants.

I love the intro there, everyone gets an example of how their power works, except heart. Which as everyone knows never made any FUCKING SENSE.
haha, yeah it was always wierd how the titles were all... 'HEART... meh' :p

The film could have a sort of Fantastic Four feel to itm what with everybody having a different type of power, and the fact they have a flying vehicle etc...

Of course the power rings have a somewhat Green Lantern feel about them, and I could certainly see them doing Captain Planet himself kinda like they did with Hal... human overlayed with CGI.

Screw this, they need to make a Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors film, now that would be awesome!

OMG YES! Either that or Ulysess 31! As for Captain Planet fuck it no, its not gonna be good in the least bit leave it alone! I loved the game on the amiga as well even though it was rock hard!

OMG YES! Either that or Ulysess 31! As for Captain Planet fuck it no, its not gonna be good in the least bit leave it alone! I loved the game on the amiga as well even though it was rock hard!
Yeah the Amiga game was fucking hard!

I'm not sure I even completed the first level, which was with the Fire guy I think. I may have made it past this level, but I remember watching a mate at the time make it a level or two further.

Edited by Retro_Link

• 1 month later...