Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Rayman Origins

Ashley

So Rayman gets a treatment which is a combination of New SMB Wii and DKC Returns... looks pretty good and I'm liking the humour in it.

Must admit though, I'm not sure I'd fork out a lot of money for it :S

• 4 months later...

It surprises me a little that there has been no talk of this game since June :eek: Rayman may not be everyone's favourite mascot, but Origins has received a score from Nintendo Power that is likely to make some of us sit up and take notice!

Rayman Origins: 9.5/10 (Wii)

+Beautiful art

+Inspired soundtrack that amplifies the manic atmosphere

+Nothing plain or boring

+Extremely fluid

+Some of the "tightest" level design in the reviewers' 26 year experience with platformers

+Great at creating sense of momentum

+Perfect difficulty

+Great multiplayer

+Always introducing new concepts

Overall: "Best Rayman game ever made. A platforming masterpiece."

Rayman has always been by my side through my life, and I've thoroughly enjoyed all his games! (Though I'll be buying Rayman 3D when it has dropped in price, because I never finished The Great Escape)

Still, I even bought Rayman: Hoodlum Havoc (My absolute favourite game in the series), to play on my Wii a few months back, and it leaves me in awe.

Rayman's universe is an incredibly beautifully crafted place in which plums are delicious:D

So, I have been keeping an eye on this, it's on my backlog, and I was a tad surprised by the fact that Rayman Origins has now been granted a title which usually only NINTENDO platformers are privy to.

All in all, ever since I first saw this game, just like with Muramasa: The Demon Blade, I thanked the gods that we still get such incredibly painted pictures as games.

Great news, can't believe it got a higher score than Mario land... Hope the 3DS version is equally as incredible!

I don't think there is a 3DS version is there?... or if there is it hasn't been announced/coming out anywhere near the same time, as it's not listed on Amazon etc...

Annoying because for a long time I thought there was a 3DS version too, and thought it could look incredible!

Edited by Retro_Link

The best thing Rayman ever did was create the Rabbids...!! :D

Still, the Wii has been a haven for 2D platformers (to think they were meant to be on the way out with the coming of the N64 generation. I remember how NMS scoffed at Mischief Makers!) so I'll maybe pick this up in January when its a fiver. ;)

I don't think there is a 3DS version is there?... or if there is it hasn't been announced/coming out anywhere near the same time, as it's not listed on Amazon etc...

Annoying because for a long time I thought there was a 3DS version too, and thought it could look incredible!

I believe there is a 3DS version as I remember it being mentioned in some press release. That is, unless they've cancelled it.

Won't see the light until next year though if it's still going as they've shown nothing of it (at least I don't remember proper 3DS screenshots for it. Think I saw some cropped images from the 360/PS3/Wii version that was made to look like it was a 3DS image) or even spoken about it other than the initial fleeting announcement.

Anyway, this has interested me for quite some time but I'm going to have to pass on it, like just about every other game that's been released so far in this last quarter of 2011 as well as quite a lot of the games released throughout the year, because of time and money constraints.

It is available to preorder on the GAME website for 3DS so it looks like I'll maybe have to make a choice between that and the Wii version somewhere down the line if it does indeed turn out to be that good :heh: I'm probably more inclined to go with the Wii version due to the D-Pad and the ease of being able to play it in multiplayer..

It is available to preorder on the GAME website for 3DS so it looks like I'll maybe have to make a choice between that and the Wii version somewhere down the line if it does indeed turn out to be that good :heh: I'm probably more inclined to go with the Wii version due to the D-Pad and the ease of being able to play it in multiplayer..
Good find!

Can't see it making the date they've got it down for though, seeing as we've seen nothing from it yet. But I think if I was going to get the game, it's quite likely I'd get the 3SD version, but I'll have to wait and see it first.

I really want this game - even more so after that review - but I'll have too much to enjoy during the period it's released, so will either get it for Christmas or in the new year.

Also, from an ONM interview :-

How will the 3DS version differ from the Wii game?

GS: We designed all versions of the game to allow you to experience the full game no matter the platform. The experience of playing on the Wii and the 3DS is obviously quite different, but the content is roughly the same.

Same worlds, same structure, same challenges, same levels, same enemies, optimised for the system. Rayman Origins is really well-suited to the 3DS display, due to our 2D 'layered' approach to the environments; it's very immersive.

Link

I've a feeling the 3DS version won't be released until February or March, which is when the Vita version will probably be released too.

Btw, here's the cheapest place to pre-order the Wii version - £24.85 at SimplyGames

Thank god. I'm not going mental. I'll definitely wait then and maybe get the 3DS version. Glad it's awesome, love platformers!

Didn't even know it had a multiplayer, what's all that about?

Same as in NSMBWii; 4 player co-op where players can kill and get in the way of each other.

A demo for this (or an equivalent game) is up tonight for Xbox Live and PSN. I don't know if it is for Gold-members of Live only but at least some get a taste of this magic. Here's to hoping it's available for all Xbox-users: X

Edit: It's up now, but only available for Gold-members, sadly.

Edited by MindFreak

Shares a couple of similarities (whether coincedental or not) with DKCR like the flying Jetpack/Mosquito sections and the silhouette levels.

Some of the quick reflex sections look crazy! That bit in the video @03:42!

Probably won't be popular saying this, but there's just something about the visuals I'm not particularly keen on... partly some of the character designs, and partly something to do with the quite blocky structural layout of the levels.

That's not to say the art style and animation isn't very impressive.

Don't think it's one for me though... But I'm looking forward to seeing what the 3DS version has to offer.

I cannot believe how well this game has been rated.

After so so many lacklustre games involving those bloody Rabbids, I expected this to follow in the same fashion, even though it was just Rayman and co.

So this was a huge surprise when I seen it had been given such good scores!

Now it leaves me with a tough decision to make - as there are just countless good games already out, and coming out in the run up to Christmas.

Grr - I need a lottery win.