Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The Apple Thread

Nintendohnut

The difference in apple and pc tech is massive. I used PC my whole life and for my businesses until a few years ago, after a small adjustment period apple hardware is so much better - it runs better, you have less problems, no viruses, the software is infinitely better. Especially in businesses. If you're a mega techhead and build pcs and don't mind constantly changing and adapting to the problems of PC's I'm sure PC's can be as good and maybe even cheaper, but I think the difference is huge.

I also find it weird you have the exact same argument people have against iPhones, but you prefer them. I find the phone and pc arguments identical.

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problems with my rig and Windows 7 and it's a year and a half old. I haven't had any viruses from what I can tell (thank you AVG) and I haven't had any problems. I'm not sure what these problems would be. As for the software being better, the differences between the OSs are negligible and the rest...well I use Google's software most of the time and Word. Apple's Final Cut Pro is virtually identical to Premiere Pro and you can get Adobe's CS on both systems.

Seriously, what are the differences? I use a Mac at work and they only think noticeable are the different keyboard shortcuts.

I guess we are talking margins, but I think pages and excel are infinitely better, just how the navigator works and how easy and logical they are to work through, and yeah, a lot of the keyboard shortcuts on that software which make my life a lot easier.

Actually, to confess, I haven't used PC's since, so things may have got better, but from chatting with clients and friends it doesn't seem to be. I guess it's all about how you use the devices really.

Also, just how stuff like motion, premiere etc run; much faster, software doesn't crash etc. You just barely get any problems with the machines.

Also, how apples tuff all links up with each other - airdrop, iCloud and the software (ical, mail, the iworks stuff) and then how they link with the ipad and iPhones. It's got some amazing stuff on there, and with having a few employees and about 10 different computers, it all synching up is useful.

One thing I love in OS X that Windows doesn't have is how Finder works in columns. You open a folder and its in the next column, then the next column and so on. It makes a big difference rather than clicking and out of folders on Windows. Minor difference, great functionality change.

Windows 7 'snap to edge' feature is bloody brilliant though. So useful. I downloaded an app for OS X so it could do it I love it that much.

Snap to edge is great but It's annoying it doesn't work with/on a second monitor.

I guess we are talking margins, but I think pages and excel are infinitely better, just how the navigator works and how easy and logical they are to work through, and yeah, a lot of the keyboard shortcuts on that software which make my life a lot easier.

Actually, to confess, I haven't used PC's since, so things may have got better, but from chatting with clients and friends it doesn't seem to be. I guess it's all about how you use the devices really.

Also, just how stuff like motion, premiere etc run; much faster, software doesn't crash etc. You just barely get any problems with the machines.

Also, how apples tuff all links up with each other - airdrop, iCloud and the software (ical, mail, the iworks stuff) and then how they link with the ipad and iPhones. It's got some amazing stuff on there, and with having a few employees and about 10 different computers, it all synching up is useful.

I get the links thing, being tied into an ecosystem makes sense. Personally, I have all my stuff with Google (conversely I'm not bothered with Android and I love my iPhone) - the advantage of that is I'm not tied into either OS. Like I said, I get much more bang for my buck with a PC so with similar price points I have a much faster PC. As it is, Windows 7 isn't the bugfest Windows of old used to be. I love it, but then I like using Macs, too.

Edited by Daft

the software is infinitely better. Especially in businesses.

A lot of businesses (including the company I work for) rely heavily on software like Sage Instant Accounts and Sage Act, pretty much the biggest accounts and CRM software. Which aren't available on Mac.

You open a folder and its in the next column, then the next column and so on.

So it's like the sidebar in Windows Explorer, except the folder view gets smaller and smaller each time?

Snap to edge is great but It's annoying it doesn't work with/on a second monitor.

Actual Multiple Monitors lets you use snap to edge on both monitors. Or at least that's how it's working on my computer right now. It can put a start button on both monitors too, but when the pro version runs out that disappears, and then you cry because you miss it so. The taskbar on both monitors sticks around though. It's great just for that.

Actual Multiple Monitors lets you use snap to edge on both monitors. Or at least that's how it's working on my computer right now. It can put a start button on both monitors too, but when the pro version runs out that disappears, and then you cry because you miss it so. The taskbar on both monitors sticks around though. It's great just for that.

Holy shit. It does. I am stupid.

A lot of businesses (including the company I work for) rely heavily on software like Sage Instant Accounts and Sage Act, pretty much the biggest accounts and CRM software. Which aren't available on Mac.

Isn't there SAGE online? I don't use Sage, it keeps ghosts of everything so you can't delete stuff. i can't do my creative accounting if it won't let me delete stuff :)

My point is that the "better programs" depends massively on what programs your company uses. Sage Accounts/ACT are pretty much the only programs my company uses (I migrated all documents from Office to Google Docs, I've been trying to find something similar to ACT that I can upload to our website so it can be used online).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Seems to have gone under the radar but the new iMacs are the most interesting news to me today. They look rather sleek and I wonder if the absence of an optical drive could be the start of a new trend in PCs.

Can't make my mind up on the iPad Mini. Does it have Retina Display? Though it's apparently LED - backlit. I don't have a tablet but I've been thinking of buying one to use at home and travelling but theres an increasingly number of choices to choose from.

Yeah, the rest of the stuff they showed was pretty good.

The mini doesn't have a retina display. It's basically an iPad 2 in a new form. Which is a real rip if you ask me. Really wanted to want a mini but I'm 90% sure the next gen mini will have what I want.

Th people who have been shafted are those who bought a 3rd gen iPad. Only released 6 months ago, yet that has been discontinued, while the iPad 2 lives on. If you'd bought a new iPad recently thinking it'd be at least six months til the new flagship model came out, you'd be pretty pissed off.

I'd absolutely love an iPad mini. But not at that price. I really don't understand how they can charge such a premium for extra storage. I bought a 32GB MicroSD card this afternoon for £20. It's crazy.

iMac is ridiculous. iPad mini is not actually what I was expecting, and I can see it selling extremely well this Christmas. But yes, highlight for me was definitely the iMac, and the MacBook Pro with Retina. Just beautiful machines.

Few people at work who bought the iPad 3 were pretty pissed today :D

Also found it interesting when they compared the 7.9" screen to the 7" screen of other tablets. 38% more screen space is a hell of a lot when you think about it!

Wait, there's a new non-mini iPad? I've not seen anywhere mention that yet.

£349 is a little bit more expensive than £199...

It's $329 in the US, £269 in the UK. It's basically £70 more than a Nexus 7 - make of that what you will!

And yes, there's a new iPad with Retina Display. It's replacing the iPad 3 with a new processor and Lightning connector. Nothing massive, but enough to annoy those who bought an iPad 3. Not bad if you were holding out for an upgrade, though. I just don't see why they couldn't wait until March, which is when they normally do iPad announcements.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!