N-Europe

N-E Quiz 2011

jayseven

Buuuurn by diageo there! Him and Chairdriver get the point.

(diageo; technically I think they're to be called firefighters in general)

I appreciate the last two questions are pretty hard (the narcissistic one especially narrows down potential answerers), but I don't expect all questions to be answered every round.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must have missed it Chair, he's got me there.

Santa is a terrible influence.

I R ARTICHOKE

Dwarf is a twat.

Negativity negativity negativity.

Barcelona played very badly last night.

I'm not going to say I am good at this, because clearly I am not.

Couldn't the winner also have just posted something characterful in black for those who feel that you don't need a colour to be noticed? ;)

5. Fight Club! Because Wikipedia says: Wikipedia reference-linkCharles Michael "Chuck" Palahniuk ( /ˈpɔːlənɪk/;[1] born February 21, 1962) is an American transgressional fiction novelist and freelance journalist. He is best known for the award-winning novel Fight Club,

Also because Fight Club is saweeeeeeeet, and I've not read any of his other books :(

No idea how you do a wikipedia thingy on this forum.

My turn!

1) What's sinister about Klein's bottle? Zell remains top of the topology class.

2) What do you consider the world's first modern battle? Give reasons why. Tales flexes his historical muscle.

3) Write a creation story, to explain how the world and humanity came to be. [Point may not be given if not long / involved enough. Should be fantastical.] The Peeps stunned us all.

4) In my iTunes library, I have 10 artists/bands whose name begins with N. Name 3 for the point. Dazz revises last.fm with guile

5) Prove Pythagorus' theorem. Heroicjanitor shows us the right an(gle)(swer).

6) What is the bestselling comic book in history (according to Guiness World Records)? ReZ is the best at what he does.

7) What are the names of Barack and Michelle Obama's children? Eenuh swipes it.

8) Give an example of neologism in action, by quoting a respected/revered author/writer. jayseven shazeems the prize.

9) Whose Shakespeare film adaptation ends with a surreal diva-pop marriage sequence? Paj is really good at film school...

10) Give 8 examples of words/phrases commonly used in day-to-day English which have been appropriated from other languages. [For example: raison d'etre] Ashley, blatantly the most cultured here.

Edited by chairdriver

Watchmen innit.

Thats technically 5/6/7/howevermany issues / not the answer I'm looking for, because it actually sold not amazingly at the time, relative to its impact. Talking a single issue.

Because I'm not sure. Is it correct?

Well it's a subjective question. You tell me the answer, and your reasons why.

Thats technically 5/6/7/howevermany issues / not the answer I'm looking for, because it actually sold not amazingly at the time, relative to its impact. Talking a single issue.

Well it's a subjective question. You tell me the answer, and your reasons why.

I remember reading something on Wikipedia some time ago. It was not about Napoleon or total war, but I ended up in some page that said total war (re)emerged during and after the Revolutianary Wars in France. And I know prior to that all the time since the Romans(or was it the Greeks) battles took place outside cities to prevent civilian destruction. But after the Revolutinary wars in France battles were more large scale and included the civilians more in various degrees, hence the term total war. Most notably the Russian and their destruction of their own cities. Civilian losses has been a major case in every war since.

I remember reading something on Wikipedia some time ago. It was not about Napoleon or total war, but I ended up in some page that said total war (re)emerged during and after the Revolutianary Wars in France. And I know prior to that all the time since the Romans(or was it the Greeks) battles took place outside cities to prevent civilian destruction. But after the Revolutinary wars in France battles were more large scale and included the civilians more in various degrees, hence the term total war. Most notably the Russian and their destruction of their own cities. Civilian losses has been a major case in every war since.

Nice. Point awarded.

[Although, total war happened in China in the BCs, when China was unified under the Han empire, and after.

I think of battle of Nagashino 1575 as the first modern battle; first time gunpowder was used to decimate a cavalry charge, and it's said to be the event that caused the downfall of honourous battle, and the samurai.]

1. To put it vaguely, the Klein bottle doesn't have an inside or an outside. In a topological sense, it's a non-orientable surface (like a Mobius strip) but it has no boundary.

5. Trivial Q.E.D. ;)