N-Europe

I'll be b...... I'M BACK!! (Terminator 5)

Retro_Link

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/116/1164320p1.html

Arnold's Back as The Terminator

Looks like we picked the wrong week to stop carving "No Fate" into picnic tables.

Deadline reports that Arnold Schwarzenegger is returning to the Terminator franchise in a new movie, to be directed by none other than Fast Five helmer Justin Lin.

The project is a package deal from Hollywood talent agency CAA, with the lead actor and director attached to make the film for whatever studio picks up the deal. No writer is attached and a release date has yet to be determined.

Deadline claims that Universal, the studio distributing Fast Five, is hot for the deal, as well as Sony and Lionsgate. Lin has a solid relationship with Universal, given the success of his Fast and Furious films.

While early rumors of Lin helming the project were met with head-scratching, the director has since silenced the naysayers given Fast Five's impressive international grosses and that movie's overall strong word-of-mouth.

The news comes as the former California Governor is quick to start the next chapter in an action movie career near and dear to us at IGN. No word on how this announcement will impact another project Arnold was circling, the action thriller The Last Stand.

The new Terminator movie comes on the heels of a long and complicated rights issue regarding the property, which, like the Superman rights, is governed by a ticking clock in regards to how long rights holders have to make a film. Deadline reports that the rights will revert back to James Cameron in 2018, and speculates that whomever makes a fifth Terminator movie will have plenty of time to make a sixth if they so desire.

The franchise started with 1984's The Terminator, directed by Cameron, who also helmed the very popular sequel, T2. Terminator: Rise of the Machines (the last Terminator headlined by Arnold) and McG's Terminator: Salvation followed with mixed critical and box office reception.

In short: A fifth Terminator movie, starring the original Terminator, is happening.

Not really sure what to make of this.

Terminator 3 was aweful... so Arnie isn't definately the solution for the franchise. Of course he brings what he does to the films/role... but the franchise has surely gotta move on at some point... or else just leave it what it is.

Edited by Retro_Link

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please no!!! T4 was an abomination.

Arine was actually very comical in T3, but that got overlooked due to the general crapness of the film.

It'll be the same this time around. He's got the part down to perfection sure, but he can't pass as a T-800 model now! Are we supposed to believe this 60 year old Arnie is the same T-800 model as the one we seen in 1984?? It'll look like a reject from the conveyor belt!!!

It'll be the same this time around. He's got the part down to perfection sure, but he can't pass as a T-800 model now! Are we supposed to believe this 60 year old Arnie is the same T-800 model as the one we seen in 1984?? It'll look like a reject from the conveyor belt!!!

I agree. I'm thinking maybe he'll be some sort of scientist whom he based the Terminator model on himself.

However Arnie as some form of scientist sounds silly in itself.

I agree. I'm thinking maybe he'll be some sort of scientist whom he based the Terminator model on himself.

However Arnie as some form of scientist sounds silly in itself.

If T3 is still in continuity then we know who real Arnie was, there was a scene where you see him as a soldier

They should just make this new movie the ending to the Sarah Connor Chronicles, thats something id much rather see!

I'd love it if they did that and it would potentially be the best thing they could do with this but they'll probably never touch the Sarah Connor Chronicles stuff again, annoyingly. Damn you again Fox for cancelling that show :mad:

I'd much rather see Thomas Dekker, Summer Glau and the other cast members in a Terminator movie than Arnie again because it's not going to come off the same way.

I think weve had this conversation before Flink but the problem I had with Bale as Connor was that at no point during that movie did he display any qualities that would make you believe people would follow this guy.

I remember, dude. I totally agree. I didn't see any reason why anyone would follow him, he just wasn't believable. It could be down to the script, or it could be Bale's performance, or both. There was a lack of conviction in either.

Compare that to John Connor (played by Edward Furlong) in T2:

That scene is where you think "shit...this kid is actually going to be the leader of the resistance." At that moment, you see it. At no point in T-Salvo do you see that in Bale. There's no passion.