NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

I got that irritating dick is going to be doing media tours again isn't he? Lord help me.

Oh dear god, watched that whole trailer til the last 10 seconds, didn't really crack a smile. Then wasn't sure if I was meant to laugh or cry at the end.

Just appalling. Gervais is awful when he works alone,and he's written and directed 'On The Road' entirely by himself. I'm so glad Louis CK has woken up from the mental haze where he decided to be in 'The Invention Of Lying' and cast Gervais in 'Louie'. Worst moments of that series by a country mile.

It's a shame really becuase Extras was really good at times, I guess most of that was down to Merchant and Barry off EastEnders though - and Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart obviously.

"I've seen everything"

We're getting four sequels to James Cameron's Avatar. yay

2 is due 2018, 3 in 2020, 4 in 2022 and 5 in 2023. Each story will be individual but be part of an overarching plot.

Hasn't he been threatening sequels for a long time anyway?

Hasn't he been threatening sequels for a long time anyway?

Yeah, the first sequel being scheduled for 2014/15/16/17 and then moved due to Star Wars to 2018. Awfully cocky to announce four sequels (grown from two to three, and now to four in the last year or so), especially considering the current landscape of the film industry.

Fox are probably thinking they'll make $2 billion+ on each. Hate to let them down, but the moviescape is so very different to how it was before.

For the record, currently slated big Hollywood films for 2018 are:

- January 12th - Blade Runner 2

- February 16th - Black Panther

- March 2nd - A new Predator movie

- March 16th - The Flash

- March 30th - Ready Player One

- May 4th - Avengers Infinity War - Part 1

- May 18th - Lego Movie sequel

- May 25th - Han Solo: A Star Wars Story (likely subject to change)

- June 8th - Godzilla 2 and Bumblebee Transformer standalone movie

- June 15th - Toy Story 4

- June 22nd - Jurassic World sequel

- June 29th - How to Train Your Dragon 3

- July 6th - Ant-Man and The Wasp

- July 27th - Aquaman

- October 5th - Untitled DCEU film (most likely The Batman)

- October 19th - (Andy Serkis') Jungle Book

- November 16th - Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them 2

*films in bold are proven properties (a superhero film, space opera epic, sequel, etc)

**all subject to change and addition (especially Han Solo at this point)

All I've got to say is...good luck navigating that asteroid field for the first sequel, Cameron and Fox.

v68n7.jpg

Avatar was shite! It was Disney's Pocahontas in space. Exactly the same film!

I enjoyed Avatar but I think Cameron has missed the boat on this. It's waaaaaay too late. The world has moved on.

Just give us a true sequel to Aliens or a proper Terminator film and everyone will be happy. Ok, not everyone, but I will be. Please do what I want.

Well, never mind. Avatar 2 has apparently been dated for Christmas 2018...

So where on earth does the Han Solo film move to? No way are they keeping it in the old typical Star Wars May spot, right?

Wasn't too keen on Avatar the first time I watched it but didn't mind it so much on a rewatch. Maybe it's Sigourney, can't dislike anything she's in. Although yes, Alien5, would be much more preferable just so we can finally have a nice closer to Ripley's story.

So, this may blow some people's minds, but I'm yet to see a film in IMAX.

I'm considering Civil War being my first experience of it, however, my reservation is that I want to fully focus on and enjoy the movie. It's the reason I prefer to see 2D versions of films rather than those that have been converted to 3D in post production.

However... has this post production process got better over the years? Are post production 3D films worth seeing?

Wearing the 3D glasses in the cinema bothers me somewhat. I'm concerned I'll be thinking about the fact I'm wearing them and how good or bad the 3D is, and it will prevent me from being absorbed into the film.

But then that's the point of IMAX isn't it, to apparently immerse you in the film? My only experience of 3D in cinema's has been Avatar, and I think one other post production 3D film. But these are years ago now.

So say if can only go once to Civil War... should I be booking IMAX tickets, or keep it to 2D?

IMAX is a little different to your average 3D glasses viewing. The only time I felt the experience hampered was when I was sitting far too close to the screen, so book in advance, pick a central seat at mid-back/mid distance and it'll be great.

I'm considering Civil War being my first experience of it, however, my reservation is that I want to fully focus on and enjoy the movie. It's the reason I prefer to see 2D versions of films rather than those that have been converted to 3D in post production.

However... has this post production process got better over the years? Are post production 3D films worth seeing?

Wearing the 3D glasses in the cinema bothers me somewhat. I'm concerned I'll be thinking about the fact I'm wearing them and how good or bad the 3D is, and it will prevent me from being absorbed into the film.

But then that's the point of IMAX isn't it, to apparently immerse you in the film? My only experience of 3D in cinema's has been Avatar, and I think one other post production 3D film. But these are years ago now.

So say if can only go once to Civil War... should I be booking IMAX tickets, or keep it to 2D?

Can't you do 2D IMAX? I'm sure that's an option as well, no?

I've only been to an IMAX film a few times, and basically it's just a bigger screen you're looking at. :P

I usually don't think it's worth the money you pay for it to be honest, but then I also rarely go to watch films in 3D. Think the last one we did was Gravity? Watching it in 3D didn't stop me from enjoying it fully, it just added an extra dimension to the film. But if you are worried about not enjoying 3D, see if they have IMAX 2D.

No, post process 3d is still shit. I still opt for Imax sometimes because the scteen is still better regardless of number of dimensions. If you have the option for imax 2d, go for that. If not, well 3d doesn't hurt too much except for higher ticket price, but doesn't add anything either. At least you have likely a great film to look forward too, so you might as well make it your first imax experience, so you can see if you like it in general.

No, post process 3d is still shit. I still opt for Imax sometimes because the scteen is still better regardless of number of dimensions. If you have the option for imax 2d, go for that. If not, well 3d doesn't hurt too much except for higher ticket price, but doesn't add anything either. At least you have likely a great film to look forward too, so you might as well make it your first imax experience, so you can see if you like it in general.

The Force Awakens 3D IMAX was beautiful.

Still don't get why major chains in the UK only seem to show IMAX 3D, though.

I go to the movies quite a bit and have yet to see a film in IMAX. As long as the movie is on a big screen and in 2D then i'm a happy chappy. I'm too cheap to pay up for an IMAX viewing. It costs close to a tenner for a regular screen as it is!

Yeah I rarely go IMAX. Just too pricey. Then you get the different kinds of IMAX - the ones we typically get in our Odeons and cineworlds are IMAX digital, or "liemax" as many call them and are much smaller screens than the truly giant screens that you get at the likes of the BFI IMAX.

Saying that, the "liemax" screens aren't bad - they are bigger than your typical screen and do tend to have better sound too, which does make a difference. It's just whether you think the extra cost is worth it, and for me, that's a no. A ticket to see something in IMAX usually costs around £15 nowadays, and I pay £16.90 a month to see an unlimited number of films at cineworld. Just not worth it. I think the last time I went to a standard IMAX screening was Toy Story 3, which I admit was brilliant in it, especially the waste disposal scene at the end.

I did see The Force Awakens at the BFI IMAX and paid £24 for that, but that was on the nation's biggest screen, and was a special occasion.

Just came across this online, a comparison of IMAX screen sizes - it really does vary.

yXXveON.png

Edited by Mr-Paul
Automerged Doublepost

Oh SNAP

Optimistically predicted a Jungle Book domestic opening of $105 million and a worldwide of $300 million.

The actual figures? $103 million and $290 million respectively!

As far as I know they don't show films at Millennium point in Birmingham any more, which is a shame. Saw Avatar there and it was incredible.

Seeing the Jungle Book on Tuesday, which should be good. Really looking forward to it!

Thanks for the thoughts on IMAX guys!

Unfortunately @Mr\-Paul, I didn't realise there was such a varied IMAX experience, and that the more mainstream ones are somewhat watered down.

It makes me think I'll see Civil War in 2D, and that IMAX will either be a second viewing, or I'll make my first IMAX experience an event at a proper IMAX screen.

Whoa, some of those IMAX screens are completely ridiculous.

Oh SNAP

Optimistically predicted a Jungle Book domestic opening of $105 million and a worldwide of $300 million.

The actual figures? $103 million and $290 million respectively!

It's weird how there's going to be another live action Jungle Book in just two years.

Whoa, some of those IMAX screens are completely ridiculous.

It's weird how there's going to be another live action Jungle Book in just two years.

Well, isn't it closer to two and a half? I have a feeling Serkis' is in the latter stages of 2018...and apparently, because money, Disney are looking at the possibility of a sequel. If they confirm this and move ahead with it in the next year or so, Serkis' personal project could go under unless there's something special about his version. I mean, he's the mo-cap king, but...

Would be such a shame all things considered. Bale, Cumberbatch, Naomie Harris and Cate Blanchett, as well as being directed by and starring Serkis as Baloo?

Well, isn't it closer to two and a half?

Either way, it's pretty close for is the same film.