NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

Watched 2 movies last night i've never seen before, 1 in a tribute to the late, great Harold Ramis in the form of Stripes. Not a bad movie, few chuckle moments. Very much enjoyed the movie and well worth watching (on Netflix UK, new addition). The second was Footloose (the original one with Kevin Bacon). Again, never seen it before and was a good movie to watch.

I went to see The Raid 2 tonight. If you've seen the jest and liked it, you'll like this too... amazing action scenes, the east still puts everything Hollywood does to shame in choreography.

Yesterday I saw:

Snowpiercer

Pretty good. There is a fun contrast between serious acting and some serious themes, and brutal action and some over-the-top acting and some absurd themes.

Saturday I will see at a film festival:

The zero theorem

Coherence

Maybe I´ll make a last-minute decision to go tomorrow as well.

Regarding The raid 2:

The raid 2 is currently number 1 on the public poll of that film festival I´m going to Saturday. This makes me even more interested in this title, but fortunately, IMDB seems to suggest that it will get an actual theatrical release over here too.

A few of the titles that interest me that will be released here in the next 2 months:

Oculus

La belle et la bete

Minuscule: La vallée des fourmis perdues

The amazing Spider-man 2

Godzilla

Starred up

X-Men: Days Of Future Past

Blue Ruin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt1m_MG9Vwo

Trailer for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Hadn't realised it was coming out in July. Thought it was releasing a little later in the year so nice surprise for me at least :D

Looks really good so far. Enjoyed Rise of so hoping this one lives up to, if not surpasses, that one.

Trailer for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Hadn't realised it was coming out in July. Thought it was releasing a little later in the year so nice surprise for me at least :D

Looks really good so far. Enjoyed Rise of so hoping this one lives up to, if not surpasses, that one.

I'm hyped for this but won't watch the trailer as I'm going into it blind. :D

Star Wars Episode III is on telly right now. Fuaaaark, the script is terrible. I remembered it being awful, but some of the lines in here are horrifically brilliant.

"You are so... beautiful."

"It's only because I'm so in love."

"No, it's because I'm so in love with you."

"So love has blinded you?"

Bwhahahahahahaha.

I re-watched the four X-Men films and watched The Wolverine for the first time. Apart from the action scenes, I thought The Wolverine was pretty poor, although the mid-credits scene made up for any flaws in the film.

I quite liked Wolverine, but if you want to improve it, have a look around for the pre-cgi version that got leaked a while back. Turns the whole film into a cheap sci-fi B-Movie.

I quite liked Wolverine, but if you want to improve it, have a look around for the pre-cgi version that got leaked a while back. Turns the whole film into a cheap sci-fi B-Movie.

I think you're thinking of X-Men Origins: Wolverine, which I couldn't bring myself to re-watch.

Ah, yes. I am indeed. They should diversify in terms of names.

They should stop wanking so much over one of the most boring X-Men. #controversy

I never understood Wolverine's popularity. He's like a typical 80s dark, edgy, anti-hero that somehow survived beyond the decade (probably his regeneration, being as hax as ever).

Channing Tatum cast as Gambit

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/05/13/channing-tatum-confirmed-as-gambit

Back in January X-Men producer Lauren Shuler Donner expressed an interest in casting Channing Tatum as Gambit in a proposed standalone movie, then in April the 21 Jump Street star said that he’d love to play the character. And now it seems a deal has been done, with Donner confirming the news last night.

“It is Channing” Donner told TotalFilm on the X-Men: Days of Future Past red carpet in London. “He’s a rogue, Channing, he’s a rascal, like Remy LaBeau, and he can handle the action, we all know that.”

Donner added that the fact he’s a southerner and knows that world makes him the perfect person to play the part.

Really can't see it. Dissapointed, as Gambit is one of my favorites. Edited by Retro_Link

Channing Tatum cast as Gambit

Really can't see it. Dissapointed, as Gambit is one of my favorites.

Yeah, seems like a terrible decision. They should've gone with someone suave, like Jean Dujardin. Although obviously younger, since the story demands it. Maybe Jack Huston? Gaspard Ulliel would be perfect, but they'd never cast him since nobody has any clue who he is...

Not going to watch it, but I´m sure there are people out there who do want to see it.

Spotted the Alan Partridge movie is on Amazon Prime Instant Video, shall be watching it and reporting back.

Anyone watched Frank ? Caught it at the Cornerhouse in Manchester the other day and really enjoyed it. Utterly unpredictable, genre-defying stuff with awesome musicianship and offbeat characters.

Tempted to get a cineworld unlimited card and start seeing more films at the cinema. There's a deal on right now for 14 months for the price of 12. Anyone on here got one/had one?

Wild Wild West was just on telly right now.

Bwahahahahhahhhahah. Who on Earth thought that this would be a good idea? You'd have thought that at some point, somebody would have piped up and said, "you know, what we're doing is a bit shit, really."

Hideous film. I'm impressed that such an abomination was made and that I was alive to witness it. :bowdown:

It's still an enjoyable film. Terrible, but fun and enjoyable. Like Pacific Rim.

Did you know that Will Smith turned down the part of Neo for that film?

It's still an enjoyable film. Terrible, but fun and enjoyable. Like Pacific Rim.

Did you know that Will Smith turned down the part of Neo for that film?

It's a bit of a stretch to call it fun, imo. :p

I know and I'm glad that he did. He would have ruined The Matrix and it would have been Will Smithified; the process of changing the entire nature of the film to fit Will Smith. Imagine the dialogue. It would be even worse than it was in the sequels.

Anyone watched Frank ? Caught it at the Cornerhouse in Manchester the other day and really enjoyed it. Utterly unpredictable, genre-defying stuff with awesome musicianship and offbeat characters.

Haven't seen it but I love the Cornerhouse. Although I had the world's worst date there when I was 18. Took a girl to see Control and her brother was in the row in front giving me the hound eye through his stinky dreads.

Anyway, just watched Starter For 10. Would be a fairly generic university/ coming of age film in the John Hughes mould if it wasn't set in 1980s Bristol and centred around a nerdy kid whose lifelong ambition is to make it to the university challenge team. I have a soft spot for understated character films like this, and I like the way it's a recontextualised genre film, and quite amicable while still reminding you of all of the absolutely humiliating times you had being an utter callow goon at uni, and that one girl that was always so much of a dick that it kept you pining while completely missing the other one who had a crush on you and wouldn't inadvertently decimate your psyche.

Watching Friends with Benefits, which has made me realise Justin Timberlake's face isn't attractive. Mila Kunis however...

Blue ruin (

) and Starred up (
) were good.

Edge of tomorrow.. I didn´t think it would be good, judging from the trailer. I generally try to avoid trailers, and for good reason: I actually thought the film was great. When I saw the trailer, I wanted it to be some serious sci-fi film with a good and thought out time-travel plot, but I thought that was not going to happen. And it didn´t. This film isn´t that. However, I got rid of my expectations / hopes, and was rewarded with a very entertaining film. Story-wise it keeps things not much more complicated than Groundhog day, and that is really what you´re getting from this film, a sci-fi action Groundhog day. No more, no less. It has similar humour

(some of Tom Cruis´ deaths are hilarious)

, and similar drama, but also plenty scenes of soldiers in exo skeleton armour blowing up aliens, which in the end didn´t nearly look a bad as I imagined it in the trailer.

I personally think this film is up there with all the super-hero blockbusters.

I watched 22 jump street last night and it was fucking hilarious.

Doesn't take itself too seriously and has some brilliant jokes in it (both physical slapstick and verbal).

Tatum and Hill make a brilliant double act, and I am constantly surprised at how great an actor Tatum is.

Not many comedy films contain loads of laugh out loud moments, but I burst out laughing at least 10-15 times.

I recommend it, especially if you liked the first.