NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

A week today got a day booked off, gonna watch Dr Strange and Arrival as a double bill :D

A week today got a day booked off, gonna watch Dr Strange and Arrival as a double bill :D

Watched the latter at the weekend. Absolutely brilliantly crafted film.

Pretty interesting watching it in light of the US election; the whole narrative being based on the idea that America are the peaceful global superpower next to Russia and China. Think there's even a shot of a female president at some point. Pretty confident it isn't how things would play out if the film took place in the coming months!

Deeply excited for the Bladerunner sequel with the run that Denis Villeneuve's on.

Glad I didn't watch the trailer though, literally 90% of the plot there. Let us know what you think! Going to catch Dr Strange hopefully this week too.

Also watched The Light Between Oceans.. think I was the only male in the cinema. Great though, hit me in the feels. Alicia Vikander and Fassbender are two of the best actors in hollywood, for my money.

Better still, this was chilly, uncomfortable and great!

nocturnal-animals-poster2-slide-8e66106c-c3ee-453f-8222-09fecf8c7ecf.jpg?w=450&h=450&fit=crop&crop=faces&auto=format&q=70

Arrival is an absolutely beautiful film. The music, the cinematography, the acting, everything is absolutely top nothing. A real thought provoking science fiction film.

I watched Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them this evening. I enjoyed it, but I haven't read any Harry Potter books. I went with a friend who is a massive Harry Potter fan and she also liked it though.

Also saw the trailer of Logan, didn't know of the existence of the movie. Anyway, this Thursday I'll finally watch Dr Strange!!

I saw FBAWTFT, and liked it, but did anyone else think it felt very low budget? Especially at the beginning with the CGI? Maybe they saved all their money for the finale end scene...

I saw FBAWTFT, and liked it, but did anyone else think it felt very low budget? Especially at the beginning with the CGI? Maybe they saved all their money for the finale end scene...

I thought it was alright (even though at that point all I was thinking about was how much Newt reminded me of Matt Smith's Doctor).

Yeah I thought it was pretty uneven. Or rather, the actual character animation and designs were all excellent and a bit of a pleasure to watch, but it was like a lot of it was rendered really poorly or something. All looked a bit like a high res pokemon go or something.

Weird. Maybe they predicted the film wouldn't make enough money to spend too much on the effects! I enjoyed it well enough though. A solid 3 or 4 stars.

Yeah I thought it was pretty uneven. Or rather, the actual character animation and designs were all excellent and a bit of a pleasure to watch, but it was like a lot of it was rendered really poorly or something. All looked a bit like a high res pokemon go or something.

Weird. Maybe they predicted the film wouldn't make enough money to spend too much on the effects! I enjoyed it well enough though. A solid 3 or 4 stars.

It was most noticeable when any actor had to interact with a beast - complete disconnect!

But yeah, i'd give it about 3.5 stars.

I saw it in 3D and obviously adored it. I didn't think it was going to be as great as Harry Potter but I truly loved it just as much. Newt is a loveable character and I thought the beasts looked awesome. I'm planning on seeing it again. I can't wait!

I was dreading Fantastic Beasts, based on stuff I'd heard about it, but I ended up really enjoying it. The main four characters (and all the creatures) were wonderful. My main complaint:

The main villain was dreadful. I honestly think the film would have been better without him (especially with the obvious and dumb twist at the end). Just have something more meaningful to the main threat "trigger" him.

Oh, and they used Hedwig's Theme a few times in the film. HEDWIG ISN'T IN THE FILM! DON'T USE HER MUSIC!

Oh, and there were a few things that were poorly designed. There were three goblins in the film who looked completely different to each other (as in, they were each done in a very different style). Poor-CGI Ron Perlman goblin was a waste of Ron Pearlman.

Still, the settings and characters were brilliant.

Still don't know what to think, but I'm going to see it regardless, and will reserve judgement until then. That said, Denis Villeneuve hasn't let me down yet.

Arrival is an absolutely beautiful film. The music, the cinematography, the acting, everything is absolutely top nothing. A real thought provoking science fiction film.

Saw this recently and have to agree with all that you said. It reminds me a lot of films like Contact and Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Very similar in feel. It all comes together nicely in the end that leaves you with lots of questions and things to think about afterwards.

I'm curious about how well it would hold up on a second run through due to the viewer knowing the answers behind the mysteries throughout the film.

I went to see it yesterday and loved it. Thought it was a really well put together film. I've been thinking about it all day actually.

I'm curious about how well it would hold up on a second run through due to the viewer knowing the answers behind the mysteries throughout the film.

I saw it twice at the cinema and enjoyed it just as much the second time.

From the director of The one I love.

Trailer is a bit too vague for my liking, so here's the premise:

Scientists discovered proof of heaven, and millions of people simply commit suicide in order to get there quicker. That's the situation when Jason Segel's and Rooney Mara's characters in the trailer fall in love.

Coming straight to Netflix on 31-03-2017 apparently.

Love the premise, but I despise Jason Segel in anything other than HIMYM.

Will watch it, though, and hope he can prove that he's much more than an actor for comedies.

Love the premise, but I despise Jason Segel in anything other than HIMYM.

Will watch it, though, and hope he can prove that he's much more than an actor for comedies.

Well, I can't stand How I met your mother, but you should watch Freaks & Geeks. It has a bunch of familiar faces.