NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

Watched Indie Game After Life.

It starts out as a direct sequel to the original, catching up with the people that were in the first, then it shows other developers then essentially half an hour of disconnect DVD extras ending with a bad parody trailer and then an actual trailer for the original movie... Of which you've watched the sequel.

It's not really one thing or another.

It's a shame that when looking at new developers they didn't try and frame it as part of a bigger story. How has the industry changed? Why are there more people trying now? How did the games featured in the original film impact on the industry? The first half provides an interesting insight into the creative process and what happens after you have a success.

Worth watching, but when it gets to the "online extras" section I'd say skip it. Interesting bits if you're half watching, but it's filler.

Went to see When Marnie Was There at the wonderful independent cinema with the big screen. Wonderful movie, what a perfect swan song for Ghibli. Really made me want to go check out the book. Thought I'd managed to avoid crying until the credits when they played "Fine on the Outside" by Priscilla Ahn. It all hit rather close to home.

tumblr_inline_nlt0fzvKnf1sz7x1l.gif

Moonrise Kingdom is my new favorite movie currently.

I also have a good hankering to watch the original Evil Dead trilogy. It's been years.

Just back from seeing Kubo and the Two Strings and it's easily one of my favourite films in a long time. The music, the animation, textures, colour. It all worked really well.

And it was like an old school Zelda game in its own way!

Pans Labyrinth is going to be 10 years old this year. As good a reason as any to rewatch it. Course I had to buy a copy as well.

Pans Labyrinth is going to be 10 years old this year. As good a reason as any to rewatch it. Course I had to buy a copy as well.

One of my favourite films. :D

Watched The Little Prince last night. Never read the book (nor heard of it until someone told me about it recently) but I really enjoyed it.

Apparently the film adds a framing element around the book which seems to have gotten mixed responses, but I think it worked well. The 'real world' (as it were) characters look a bit generic 3D animation-ey but there's nice touches and the story-within-the-story stop motion animation is wonderful:

the-little-prince-animation-2.gif

The little stuffed fox in the real world is really cute too (different from the fox above). Nice movement animation on him (her?). The photography is also really good, some wonderful shots in the film.

I liked that the story itself was still written in French (and apparently the signage but I didn't notice). Nice way to honour the original book.

I watched this after you recommended it. I read the book yeaaaaaaars ago, think I was a teenager at the time, so my mind is a bit hazy on how it goes. But I remember it being quite strange and very philosophical (it's presented as a children's book, but it's more than that really).

To be honest, I was a bit disappointed by this film. There is nothing really wrong with it, but I did feel that the story they created around the original, kind of butchers the book's story... they have cut it up into so many short and insignificant pieces, that it loses all meaning. You don't really get to know much about the Little Prince and his travels, apart from little snippets (where they skip a lot). I was hoping for the film to be more faithful to the book. :(

The story they added around/throughout the original was okay (typical type of story really), but it just wasn't necessary. It broke up the original story too much. It probably would've been better as a separate film altogether. Plus I hated how they reintroduced the characters at the end... That just ruined it for me. I get what they were trying to do, but urghhh. No.

The only good things about the film for me were the art style of the original story, which was in lovely stop-motion (like the GIF you posted, love it), there just wasn't enough of it! The 3D art style was ok, just generic like most films these days. The music was lovely, guess we got Hans Zimmer to thank for that (and Camille, who is a great French singer songwriter).

So yeah, loved the stop-motion art and the parts that followed the original, but disliked the "main" story. Was kinda happy when it ended. :P

Might be time for me to re-read the book!

little-prince-1280jpg-19d59e_1280w.jpg

Just back from seeing Kubo and the Two Strings and it's easily one of my favourite films in a long time. The music, the animation, textures, colour. It all worked really well.

That is EXACTLY what I thought while watching it!

Just got back from seeing it. Incredible.

I watched this after you recommended it. I read the book yeaaaaaaars ago, think I was a teenager at the time, so my mind is a bit hazy on how it goes. But I remember it being quite strange and very philosophical (it's presented as a children's book, but it's more than that really).

To be honest, I was a bit disappointed by this film. There is nothing really wrong with it, but I did feel that the story they created around the original, kind of butchers the book's story... they have cut it up into so many short and insignificant pieces, that it loses all meaning. You don't really get to know much about the Little Prince and his travels, apart from little snippets (where they skip a lot). I was hoping for the film to be more faithful to the book. :(

The story they added around/throughout the original was okay (typical type of story really), but it just wasn't necessary. It broke up the original story too much. It probably would've been better as a separate film altogether. Plus I hated how they reintroduced the characters at the end... That just ruined it for me. I get what they were trying to do, but urghhh. No.

The only good things about the film for me were the art style of the original story, which was in lovely stop-motion (like the GIF you posted, love it), there just wasn't enough of it! The 3D art style was ok, just generic like most films these days. The music was lovely, guess we got Hans Zimmer to thank for that (and Camille, who is a great French singer songwriter).

So yeah, loved the stop-motion art and the parts that followed the original, but disliked the "main" story. Was kinda happy when it ended. :P

Might be time for me to re-read the book!

little-prince-1280jpg-19d59e_1280w.jpg

Hmm it probably helped I hadn't read it!

As you said the stop motion was much better. At the start I found it difficult to get into it because the 3D art was so generic, but ended up forgetting about it after a while.

Although you should definitely check out Kubo ;)

Double-featured it at the cinema yesterday with Kubo and the Two Strings and Don't Breathe. Wish I'd watched the former second to cleanse my mind of the rubbish of the latter. No idea why it's been so well rated as it was just not scary or exciting at all.

Kubo on the other hand was wonderful, masterfully created and ultimately very charming.

Need to catch this before it leaves the cinemas.

Watched 2 movies in the cinema today.

Captain Fantastic - really good. Great cast and very emotional. I'm man enough to admit that tears were shed.....twice!

The Girl with All the Gifts - decent movie, didn't like the ending. A tad over-rated.

So, now there will be 5 "Fantastic Beasts" movies, and it looks like they're eventually going to deal with Dumbledore and Grindelwald.

I was so excited for the first film. A trilogy of films only very loosely related to the events of the book, but exploring the universe more, sounded amazing. Having 5 films and dealing with events we were told about in the books just seems wrong.

I imagine the films will be stretched really thin now, with only a few additional bits added. Hobbit syndrome. Get that money.

Watched Bad Moms which was, as expected, a middling harmless comedy. Nothing great, nothing awful (except the three main leads who I really like) and then looked at the IMDB message boards and hot damn are a lot of people hung up on a circumcision joke.

I think someone even linked the practice to terrorism. I had no idea it was such an issue for some people....

Watched Bad Moms which was, as expected, a middling harmless comedy. Nothing great, nothing awful (except the three main leads who I really like) and then looked at the IMDB message boards and hot damn are a lot of people hung up on a circumcision joke.

I think someone even linked the practice to terrorism. I had no idea it was such an issue for some people....

Well circumcision is archaic and should only be performed if medically necessary, but I've never thought it something that shouldn't be joked about.

What was the joke?

Well circumcision is archaic and should only be performed if medically necessary, but I've never thought it something that shouldn't be joked about.

What was the joke?

There was a joke visualisation of what an uncircumcised penis looks like and how you should handle it (using Kristen Bell in a hoody to represent said penis). It's not that people seem offended by the joke really, it's just there is a lot of talk about the practice and several threads dedicated to it.

Scarlett Johanson in body paint? Yes please!

Oh. THe movie looks interesting. Don't know the background material but it looks good.

It looks like it's going to be a decent adaptation but I don't think that was a very good trailer, which was a surprise as the 10-second teasers they released a while ago were excellent.

The new Beauty and the Beast trailer dropped today. It's my favourite Disney film. I'm no longer afraid of them ruining it. It looks beautiful. As soon as I can, I'm booking it in Gold Class!

The trailer music is beautiful, the casting is perfect and...ugh, everything is just there. If they sing the songs as well, I'd lose my shit!

Still not sold on the Beast look, but liking everything else.