NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

I hope Barbarian gets a physical release one day. I'm a collector, so this is essential to me. But more and more, I can see everything being sold as a download in the future.

Was just here to post that!

I was hoping that my ears were deceiving me and it wasn't Patton Oswald... But then he appeared. 

EDIT: Watching it again it got me hoping they explain this Death Chill a bit better, because it doesn't look like people are being frozen to death because they are being literally scared to death, it looks like they are being frozen because of a giant ice wave making razor sharp icicles queef out of the ground.

Edited by EEVILMURRAY
  • Like 1

Another Spider-man related character without the connection to Spider-man in the movie. These are all so weird to me.

4 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Another Spider-man related character without the connection to Spider-man in the movie. These are all so weird to me.

Yeah, I'm not sure what Sony is trying to do with these movies. Are they creating a Spider-Verse but not having Spider-Man appear? 

44 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, I'm not sure what Sony is trying to do with these movies. Are they creating a Spider-Verse but not having Spider-Man appear? 

Isn't their licensing agreement with Marvel contingent on them doing something with it every X years and if not they lose the rights?

16 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Isn't their licensing agreement with Marvel contingent on them doing something with it every X years and if not they lose the rights?

I'm not sure but you're probably right. It's the same reason why the Fantastic 4 movies kept getting made and rushed out.

Yeah the Fantastic Four one with FOX definitely was. The Sony one is a bit harder to know given they work with Marvel on the mainline Spider-Man movies as well.

I just don't know what to think about it all really. The idea of it turning into some kind of Spider-verse like movie at the end could be cool but having Spider-Man appear later (or never) just doesn't help anything. Venom is worse without Spider-Man, the less we talk about Morbius the better and Kraven just looks a bit crappy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Been talking to some friends about this very thing after the trailer dropped today and I'm still shocked that Sony haven't given the go-ahead on either a Spider-Man 4 or TASM3 following the success of No Way Home and the love for those returning Spider-Men, and then potentially using those versions of Spidey in their Sony-Verse films. Especially with the focus being on multiverse stuff and considering the current titles of the next Avengers films – why wouldn't they be cashing in? 

With the Spider-Verse films presumably wrapping up after Beyond, though, it wouldn't shock me if they end up utilising Miles in their films instead. 

It's all very bizarre, and makes me wonder if there's some weirdness to their contract with Marvel that while they can have their Spider-Man in the MCU, he can't be used to prop up the Sony-Verse. Because they seem keen to include everyone and their mother except Pete in their live-action films. 

22 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

The Sony one is a bit harder to know given they work with Marvel on the mainline Spider-Man movies as well.

The give and take we've seen with the Spidey films coming to Disney+ definitely compounds how confusing the whole situation is. 

22 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I just don't know what to think about it all really. The idea of it turning into some kind of Spider-verse like movie at the end could be cool but having Spider-Man appear later (or never) just doesn't help anything. Venom is worse without Spider-Man, the less we talk about Morbius the better and Kraven just looks a bit crappy.

I think the sad truth is that Sony doesn't really seem to care about these projects and are focused on profits. I mean, some of these films actually perform really well at the box office without Spider-Man, and it really could be as simple as the cost of having a Spider-Man show up being too expensive for the money they'd stand to gain vs without, at least using one of the existing Spideys. 

Because I totally agree, it's why I tend to skip what they're doing with those films, because it just doesn't seem like it's leading anywhere despite acting like it is? ::shrug:

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

I think any potential new Spider-Man movie could also be dependent on if these rumours about Secret Wars are true and the direction that's being taken.

Spoiler

There seem to be theories/rumours going around that in Deadpool 3 we'll find out that he's having to locate the "Prime" versions of certain characters which will be one of the reasons why he gets Jackman's Wolverine and the big rumour is that this will also lead to Tobey Maguire's Spider-Man having a big role in Secret Wars. No idea if any of this is true at all but if it is then it could explain the lack of Sony taking advantage of a Spider-Man 4 movie.

I think I've read somewhere that they are building up the Sinister Six team with these movies. That would tie in well with some Spider-verse movie in a few years. 

But yeah, Madame Web looks quite meh, though the character is quite interesting. Might catch it on streaming. 

Had a bit of a look and yeah the original deal was that the rights had to be used every few years (can't find an exact number but sure it's out there). Which would explain why there's so many random films from the franchise coming out. 

The agreement with MCU was essentially him being "lent" to Marvel films, but they keep the rights to the solo films. Disney gets the merchandise money, Sony the box office revenue (I think Disney get merchandise for all films, Sony only for theirs but perhaps they get a bit of the MCU).

Production costs are also split and were renegotiated back in 2019. But perhaps if the cost is split on the films he's "lent" to Marvel it might explain why he's been absent in the Sony spin-off films; it would cost a lot more for a cameo and given Sony only gets the film profits maybe they just consider it financially better off to keep him out of them. 

A few years ago there was talk of another Holland trilogy but not sure why that hasn't progressed. It was 2021 so not really Covid but maybe just generally Holland's availablity. Plus obviously the recent strike. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Ashley said:

But perhaps if the cost is split on the films he's "lent" to Marvel it might explain why he's been absent in the Sony spin-off films; it would cost a lot more for a cameo and given Sony only gets the film profits maybe they just consider it financially better off to keep him out of them. 

Yeah, that would make sense to me, and ties into what I was thinking about Sony just wanting to keep their costs low. While they've already got A-listers like Dakota Johnson, Tom Hardy, Woody Harrelson, etc., in their films, due to them fitting in really as the centrepiece, any of the Spider-Men would rightly be in a position to negotiate much higher pay, higher than the other A-listers already in these films – and if Disney aren't splitting the bill or the fee is extravagant, yeah, I can't see Sony wanting to put up. 

The Sony films as they are, love them or hate them, are more than profitable enough for Sony as things stand. Why add the expense of a Spider-Man to that? 

37 minutes ago, Ashley said:

A few years ago there was talk of another Holland trilogy but not sure why that hasn't progressed. It was 2021 so not really Covid but maybe just generally Holland's availablity. Plus obviously the recent strike. 

He's currently taking a year-long break from acting following his work on The Crowded Room for mental health reasons following his work on that film, and has also earlier this year touched on some troubles he's had with alcoholism, which I imagine may have played a part in his decision. But also, yeah, as well as the strike! 

I watched Whiskey Mountain with Christopher George. It's about four people on motorcycles out in the wilderness, who encounter a gang who grow weed in a cave.

It's good, but not mindblowing...

On 15/11/2023 at 7:36 PM, Happenstance said:

I think any potential new Spider-Man movie could also be dependent on if these rumours about Secret Wars are true and the direction that's being taken.

Deadpool 3 and Secret Wars theories (Hide contents)

There seem to be theories/rumours going around that in Deadpool 3 we'll find out that he's having to locate the "Prime" versions of certain characters which will be one of the reasons why he gets Jackman's Wolverine and the big rumour is that this will also lead to Tobey Maguire's Spider-Man having a big role in Secret Wars. No idea if any of this is true at all but if it is then it could explain the lack of Sony taking advantage of a Spider-Man 4 movie.

I glimpsed somewhere that they're getting Karl Urban to be an alternate Wolverine, which is a shame because he should be busy with Dredd 2, but I suppose he can do this in the interim.

A good thriller I seen recently is Stalker in the House. It's about a guy who is obsessed with a woman he dated, and won't leave her alone. He is a real creep. I thought it was one of the better free movies on Prime Video, as they do have a lot of trash online as well.

On 30/11/2023 at 6:25 PM, Ashley said:

Booked my ticket for the 11th (Cineworld is doing an early screening for members). 

Got mine booked in now for the 18th. Really can't wait to see it!