NEurope
Ganepark32

Dealing with the High Street Charity Vendors

We've all seen them and they can be incredibly annoying.

They're often pushy and somehow can't seem to take no for an answer, continuing to press you for your details.

They haunt the high streets, lining you up from about 20-30 metres away and slowly make a bee-line to cut off your route, more so if you're on your own.

How you you guys deal with these 'pests'? I say 'pests' because although they aren't really and are trying to drum up support for charities (and I'm not against helping charities, just the idea of being hounded when I'm trying to walk up the high street to get lunch or head for the bus in attempt to get you to sign on to them and give the some money. If I want to give money to charity, I'll do it on my own accord and not through pressure), in many cases most of them are employed by a secondary party working on behalf of the charity.

They're frequently out and about in Dundee, where i go to Uni, and they're a nightmare. You'll get free of one of them only to be stopped 5 seconds later by someone who has seen you talking to their colleague but though they'd stop you again anyway. Luckily, it's only been the British Red Cross and Cancer Research UK that have been about and I've stopped for one of each merely to give them my details so I can get out of having to stop for them ever again. And its worked so far so I say its a nice little idea.

So yeah, are you annoyed by them and how do you guys deal with them?

Apparently a lot of these charities will only take money off you if you're 21, I've been stopped in Sheffield and been asked how old I am, to reply 20 and been told I cannot donate but if I would kindly look and join up to a website.

Seems rather daft to me.

They piss me off to end. Firstly because they called themselves "paid volunteers". Mostly because as you said they'll spot you from 20m and do anything they can to get in your path. I deal with them in either of 2 ways:

1) Talk to them for ages, make them think they've got the sale, then back out.

2) Tell them I've got a train to catch.

Usually the 2nd one as it is polite and even if they know it's bull they'll let you go anyway.

I just say I'm busy and walk away if they spout the usual bullshit. (I'm pleasant and stuff, not just an asshole)

The worst are those FUCKING Christians with those FUCKING books. All the others are fine, I get it, charities, all good. But don't push your fucking beliefs on me that I do not want in my fucking life, and don't sell me a second hand book/leave me the hell alone.

A simple "no thanks mate" whilst continuing to walk where I was going seems to work really well.

Edited by Ramar

2) Tell them I've got a train to catch.

The number of times I've used that and it hasn't worked, even if I genuinely am heading for a train or bus. "Oh, I can walk you there and talk with you about it." :mad: They're really pushy around here and really don't take no as an answer. Short of telling them to "f**k off!" they'll pretty much ignore what you say to try and get away.

I just say I'm busy and walk away if they spout the usual bullshit. (I'm pleasant and stuff, not just an asshole)

The worst are those FUCKING Christians with those FUCKING books. All the others are fine, I get it, charities, all good. But don't push your fucking beliefs on me that I do not want in my fucking life, and don't sell me a second hand book/leave me the hell alone.

I love messing with the Jehovah's Witness that come round the houses knocking on the doors on Sundays. Has given me endless pleasure seeing how little they know about their own religion. Last time they came round, after speaking with me for about an hour, they didn't even bother going to any other houses so either I annoyed them greatly or used up all of their time :D

Edited by Ganepark32

I found I have an unconscious habit of just saying no thanks while waving my hand at them, I didnt realise until later that it looks a hell of a lot like im doing the Jedi mind trick on them.

I remember me and Goafer were stopped once and the girl went through the whole speech, asking us where we slept last night etc. When she came to ask me some questions I just told her I was unemployed and she responded with "Well I guess if you can't look after yourself then we cant expect you to look after others". I probably would have been offended if I wasnt so glad she was now leaving me alone.

Edited by Happenstance

"I honestly do not care."

That shuts them up.

Of course this is context sensitive. My favourite is for the NSPCC; "Children disgust me."

Use headphones and just walk by, pretending you never heard them saying anything. You're only going to waste their time if you stop.

Last time I was caught out I had a hard time explaining that I was in massive debt, had no money in the bank, no job, no job seekers (I was waiting for the forms to be processed) and £10 in cash for the rest of the week. They still wanted me to sign a direct debit.

Of course this is context sensitive. My favourite is for the NSPCC; "Children disgust me."

Or ;

(Whilst trying to hold back sinister laughter) "You're asking the wrong person, mate."

Headphones help, and walking fast and avoiding eye contact.

My friend taught me the best way to get out if you do get caught. Pretend you're only 17. Works every time.

Also pretend you're talking to someone on the phone. Naturally you'll have to keep it up a while after for maximum effect.

I love messing with the Jehovah's Witness that come round the houses knocking on the doors on Sundays. Has given me endless pleasure seeing how little they know about their own religion. Last time they came round, after speaking with me for about an hour, they didn't even bother going to any other houses so either I annoyed them greatly or used up all of their time :D

I almost fell pray to some of them. Whilst at uni they came door knocking. I made the mistake of being the one to open the door, then saying I kinda believed in God. One of them proper tried weedling their way into the house by asking for water. I left them on the doorstep and got a glass of water and brought it to her. Cheeky bitch.

I then told them I was busy and come back tomorrow, and that my name was Steve.

I love messing with the Jehovah's Witness that come round the houses knocking on the doors on Sundays.

I've literally never had Jehovah's Witness's at my door. I'd be the best/worst person they've ever talked to. Part of my plan involves stopping them mid-sentence after about 15 minutes to talking, excusing myself briefly, spinning to face Mecca, and start praying.

That, and rebut literally every point they come up with. I know it's an easy victory, but I find it fun.

I hate these. And cold calls.

If someone rings me at home, I test their intelligence and tell them I'm driving at the moment and can they call me back later.

And it usually works. An advertisement to try harder in school if I ever saw one.

The whole point of charity is to give to causes you believe in, not to be pressured by twats in the street.

The worst are those FUCKING Christians with those FUCKING books.

...I always feel like I joined the wrong Church... there was little-to-no fucking among the congregation. What denomination were they?

I love messing with the Jehovah's Witness that come round the houses knocking on the doors on Sundays.

"I'm Jehovah. You didn't witness shit, got it? Don't even think about going to the cops. I have a man outside your house."

Tell them you're not 18 yet(or maybe it's 21 now as nightwolf said?) but up until 20 I always used to just tell them I was under 18, even though I looked well older than my actual age anyway. They usually look quite puzzled, but know they can't take the risk anyway.

First and foremost, avoid eye-contact, and make a wide berth, if you see them heading towards you, veer away(ie coming from your right go more left).

Be rude. Tell them you don't care. Tell them you're busy. Tell them you already give to their charity(which I did after an NSPCC one started a massive speech and wouldn't let me say a word, as I already DID give to them, and more than they were asking). You owe these people nothing, don't be polite. Tell them you're busy, tell them you're on your way to work! Tbh, these are all actual things that tend to happen to me, it's rare I end up lying to them these days, but I'm just pr0 at ninja'ing past them now. Line your pace up so that someone else'll be in their beeline for you, these creatures are weak and eager, they'll jump someone else if they're along the way.

"I don't want to support a charity that thinks that my activities are unethical."

Sony-MDR_2D00_NC500D-Noise-Cancelling-Headphones.aspx

seriously, put on headphones. You vanish from their view like a gazelle freezing in place to throw off a predator. No mp3? no problem! Just put some on anyway...

I've been accosted in Sheffield whilst wearing headphones. I actually gave the guy a moment of my time and interest, until he asked for my phone number. Screw you, buddy! You want to inform me about the cause, maybe I go home and visit the website and make a donation. But the concept of you ringing me up at my inconvenience to bug me for my credit card details? Ha!

I feel bad for them because it's a hard time to get a job, and they probably want a bigger role in the third sector, but their approach is way off.

I've been accosted in Sheffield whilst wearing headphones. I actually gave the guy a moment of my time and interest, until he asked for my phone number. Screw you, buddy! You want to inform me about the cause, maybe I go home and visit the website and make a donation. But the concept of you ringing me up at my inconvenience to bug me for my credit card details? Ha!

I feel bad for them because it's a hard time to get a job, and they probably want a bigger role in the third sector, but their approach is way off.

ah, Fargate...

my brother worked in the charity sector for a few years doing proper fundraising (hundreds of thousands, not a tenner a month) and he said that a lot of organisations were moving away from the chuggers because they suck massively. All they do is get students etc to sign up and they can never commit to any kind of long term payment. Plus they generate a lot of ill will because they pester people, associating annoying tactics with even good causes.