Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

PlayStation Vita Console Discussion

Aneres11

yah last fifa I properly played was FIFA 10. The rear touch pad sounds likes something that make the shooting more fun than the usual mechanics....

@Happenstance cheers for the heads up about Quicklook over at Giant Bomb.

Dont think the Quick Looks are actually on their site yet but if you are bored and want to watch them unedited heres all the 5 hours of them looking at it all:

http://www.justin.tv/giantbomb/videos

yah last fifa I properly played was FIFA 10. The rear touch pad sounds likes something that make the shooting more fun than the usual mechanics....

Shooting in FIFA always felt like kicking a balloon. There was no weight to it. The manual control over the shooting in PES was so much more comprehensive whereas in FIFA a lot of it was context sensitive. Which is great but also feels a bit auto-piloty to me.

I've got a sneaky feeling the digital games will be better 'handheld' games with the Vita.

I'm hoping Marvel Pinball will become available. [EDIT - it is!] As much as I like Zen Pinball on the 3DS, the higher-res the screen the better. Sometimes I just can't see or understand which bits of the table do what.

Oh... So that makes that. Orderline pointless then :( I love streetpass, I thought this was gong to be similar

I expect it uses Wi-Fi, just doesn't need the internet. So yeah, I'm expecting it to be just like StreetPass.

Is there a really good site about downloadable games for Vita, like Nintendolife? I'm totally out of the loop and I'd love to see clear lists distinguishing between PSP games, download-only Vita games and optional-download/retail Vita games.

Edited by Grazza

I'm hoping Marvel Pinball will become available. [EDIT - it is!] As much as I like Zen Pinball on the 3DS, the higher-res the screen the better. Sometimes I just can't see or understand which bits of the table do what.

I expect it uses Wi-Fi, just doesn't need the internet. So yeah, I'm expecting it to be just like StreetPass.

Is there a really good site about downloadable games for Vita, like Nintendolife? I'm totally out of the loop and I'd love to see clear lists distinguishing between PSP games, download-only Vita games and optional-download/retail Vita games.

Nintendolife recently spawned a sister site:

http://www.pushsquare.com/ which is for all things Sony but also they are a vitagamr site in the works... I use PSU, sixthaxis and psnation for all my sony needs.

Push Square actually have a great article:

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2012/02/feature_the_positives_and_negatives_of_ps_vita

all about the positive and negatives of the vita, tis a good read.

So Near on the WiFi model works like streetpass, while the 3G sucks up data and uses the GPS to boost range?

I'm not sure the GPS module is used for Near at all, although I don't believe it would infringe on your 3G data usage anyway.

My understanding is that Near essentially maps where you were using WiFI hotspots; the underlying tech comes from Skyhook. I haven't had a chance to try it myself, but presumably it works by keeping track of discoverable access points whilst you're out and about, then the next time you have a 'net connection that data is referenced to see where you've been and who else was nearby at the same time. Perhaps there is also a real-time element to it ? with Vitas pinging each other ? but "It works" is about as in-depth as I've read people get so far.

As soon as I read Uncharted got 8.5 by IGN, I knew I had to read the comments. And boy was I right to do so, I fucking LOVE it when a popular franchise gets less than a 9.0 just to see thousands of bickering kids.

But seriously, those games got pretty solid ratings for launch titles.

EDIT: WipeOut got 7.0? A bit lower than I thought it would get.

Edited by Debug Mode

I'm not sure the GPS module is used for Near at all, although I don't believe it would infringe on your 3G data usage anyway.

My understanding is that Near essentially maps where you were using WiFI hotspots; the underlying tech comes from Skyhook. I haven't had a chance to try it myself, but presumably it works by keeping track of discoverable access points whilst you're out and about, then the next time you have a 'net connection that data is referenced to see where you've been and who else was nearby at the same time. Perhaps there is also a real-time element to it ? with Vitas pinging each other ? but "It works" is about as in-depth as I've read people get so far.

I don't get how it accessing these wifi hotspots without you approving the connections.

Yeah, sort of makes it kind of pointless without multiplayer... Bizarre decision. I really thought it would be a super online device; I thought Sony and MS show Nintendo how to do online...?

On the 3DS board we moan about what is and isn't online and we all seem to think 'this wouldn't happen with Sony" but it actually does. Maybe even worse currently. Mod Nation Races not online is absurd!!

I don't get how it accessing these wifi hotspots without you approving the connections.

It isn't accessing the connections, just making a note of when it came into contact with them. They're essentially landmarks, via which the system can place your whereabouts and generate a timeline of your movements, seeing where that intersects with others.

Again, though, I might be wrong. I can't find any real specifics as no one seems to be talking about it, which is strange as I think it'll prove to be a pretty significant feature.

Whilst functionally similar to StreetPass it is a somewhat different proposition. It's more about location than who you bump into, as you can leave items/challenges in certain areas and see active users in a fairly wide radius; I think it's 2km. It's a lot less anonymous than StreetPass ? if you've opted in, that is ? as people can see your PSN name, what you're playing, etc.

Huh? I thought Motorstorm RC was cross-platform online...

RC is the one where you pay once and get both versions.

It has 4-player split-screen on PS3.

And yet I still don't want it.

Whilst functionally similar to StreetPass it is a somewhat different proposition. It's more about location than who you bump into, as you can leave items/challenges in certain areas and see active users in a fairly wide radius; I think it's 2km. It's a lot less anonymous than StreetPass ? if you've opted in, that is ? as people can see your PSN name, what you're playing, etc.

In one of the videos I think it said something like 4 - 6km. Which is probably overkill. Or not. Who knows.

8g about ?30. So still not great.

Just seen this new Mortal Kombat trailer

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2012/02/15/mortal-kombat-vita-trailer?objectid=111269

Now is there a reality fighters style mode where you can fight on proper backgrounds or is it just showcasing you can play it anywhere?!

Really tempted by this game, love mortal kombat; presuming it's online!

Ive been thinking recently actually that the Vita might let me get back into fighting games. I loved them on my Mega Drive then PS1 but after that my interest dropped off. I think playing them on a handheld where I can just mess about for a while anywhere might help. Ive already liked the look of MvC3 and Mortal Kombat was another series I always enjoyed growing up.

This is quite useful info:

Looking to go digital-only with your PS Vita? Well, for one, you?ll obviously need a PS Vita proprietary memory card, but what capacity do you need? Well, check out the file sizes of the launch games and apps below and that should help you figure it out.

AR Combat DigiQ: Friend Tank Battalion ? 220 MB

Army Corps of Hell ? 598 MB

Asphalt Injection ? 724 MB

BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend ? 3180 MB

Extreme Escape Adventure: Good People Die ? 121 MB

Dark Quest: Alliance ? 1057 MB

Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention ? 1619 MB

Dream Club Zero Portable ? 2835 MB

Dynasty Warriors Next ? 1485 MB

Everybody?s Golf 6 ? 1100 MB

F1 2011 ? 1435 MB

Little Deviants ? 869 MB

Live Tweet ? 5760 KB

Lord of Apocalypse ? 1427 MB

Mahjong Fight Club ? 793 MB

Michael Jackson: The Experience HD ? 1225 MB

Minna to Issho: Friend Network ? 168 MB

Monster Radar ? 1640 MB

Nico Nico ? 14 MB

Power Smash 4 ? 1241 MB

Ridge Racer ? 561 MB

Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen ? 1057 MB

Touch My Katamari ? 744 MB

True Night of the Kamaitachi: The 11th Visitor ? 793 MB

Uke-torne ? 16 MB

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 ? 1350 MB

Uncharted: Golden Abyss ? 2777 MB

Again, there are is a 4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB and 32 GB memory card that range from U.S. $29.99 to $119.99. Taking that into account, a $30, 4 GB card is said to only fit 1 to 2 full PS Vita games, but looking at this and depending on what you download, you may very well get 3 to 4 full PS Vita games (not including the smaller download-only games). It?s not quite as bad as I thought it would be, but I still think I?d go with buying the games in stores. Even if the games? download versions are a lot cheaper as is being rumored, you can usually find deals on the games themselves in stores anyway