NEurope
Aneres11

PlayStation Vita Console Discussion

Yet its done all the time elsewhere. Im sure a lot of people have NES games that theyve bought again on Virtual Console or something. The release times may be further apart but I dont think that matters.

It would be like Nintendo not allowing you to play N64 games on a GameCube.

And yet, if you have the ability to not have to buy the same game again, you wouldn't do so?

Custom Firmware isn't illegal. Iso ripping software isn't illegal. Therefore the only act of making your own backups and playing them that could be detected (providing you play offline) is downloading the actual programs to do it, which isn't illegal.

It's a senseless law to restrict something that is physically impossible to detect and has in all likeliness never been prosecuted. And really, the ethics of charging you again is a bit dodgy.

I think the argument of N64 on Gamecube (sorry to pick on your example cube) is a little off to use

the gamecube isn't designed to run N64 games, be them emulated or using an adaptor

however the Vita is designed to be backwards compatible with psp games, yet sony are removing methods/not providing methods to use this feature

if the vita wasn't meant to play psp games at all then there would be no argument at all, but it is and sony should provide a method to allow people to play their games before the console is hacked and they start having the same issues with the vita they did with the psp

they could at the very least allow you get a massive discount if you own a physical copy of a psp game.

Ideally they should have a pc programme where you can rip a copy of any UMD's (tied to a PSN account) and then transfer it to the Vita. they could charge a monthly fee, or a charge per rip anything they want to justify it

but blatantly ignoring the problem and expecting people to rebuy games to use on a supposedly backwards compatible system is counter productive.

I in no way advocate piracy, but i can so understand using a custom firmware and eboots of psp games you own if sony are making it difficult (for the sake of making themselves money)

Aren't some psp games still the full retail price on the psn, when in stores they are about £10? its madness the whole system/lack of a system

Sony haven't taken away your PSP, though. You still have one to play all your PSP games on.

And I'm pretty sure Sony never promised UMDs would be compatible with the Vita only that they were looking into a possible program. The Vita isn't meant to be compatible with UMDs.

Perhaps Sony simply couldn't find a way to make it work. Short of asking for proof of purchase, they have no way of knowing if you own the game.

I think the argument of N64 on Gamecube (sorry to pick on your example cube) is a little off to use

the gamecube isn't designed to run N64 games, be them emulated or using an adaptor

however the Vita is designed to be backwards compatible with psp games, yet sony are removing methods/not providing methods to use this feature

if the vita wasn't meant to play psp games at all then there would be no argument at all, but it is and sony should provide a method to allow people to play their games before the console is hacked and they start having the same issues with the vita they did with the psp

they could at the very least allow you get a massive discount if you own a physical copy of a psp game.

Ideally they should have a pc programme where you can rip a copy of any UMD's (tied to a PSN account) and then transfer it to the Vita. they could charge a monthly fee, or a charge per rip anything they want to justify it

but blatantly ignoring the problem and expecting people to rebuy games to use on a supposedly backwards compatible system is counter productive.

I in no way advocate piracy, but i can so understand using a custom firmware and eboots of psp games you own if sony are making it difficult (for the sake of making themselves money)

Aren't some psp games still the full retail price on the psn, when in stores they are about £10? its madness the whole system/lack of a system

I'm not going to get too much into the pirating. Only to say Sony promised compatiability with digital PSP releases and not UMD. People got mad when they found out Sony planned to charge for the program as it was going to exist but seriously at the end of the day they are business and are not going to let people just leach off them by swapping games amongest friends. Using this as a term to justify methods such as pirating and hacking is just wrong.

Sony are not expecting anyone to rebuy old games they already own its an option one can take. Much like Nintendo doesn't expect you to buy any of its back catalogue yet it offers it as an option...I know arguements can be made that PSP is only 1 gen back but really its still the same in principal.

Anyway what I really wanted to say is this notion that all PSP games are still full whack on PSN is flat out wrong they have had the PSP Power Sale running for ages and a lot of the games are reduced permantly afterwards too. There are tons of cheap games to be had so its misconception that they aren't reduced.

Sony haven't taken away your PSP, though. You still have one to play all your PSP games on.

And I'm pretty sure Sony never promised UMDs would be compatible with the Vita only that they were looking into a possible program. The Vita isn't meant to be compatible with UMDs.

No they certainly didn't and i never expected them to, but during the psp gen they said they weren't abandoning UMD support and forcing digital upon us (following the pspgo) so i kept buying games in the shop on UMD

now if i want to use the backwards comparability on a vita i'm told i should have ignored sony and bought them digitally to future proof them.

Its plain annoying

@ Flameboy ; well you learn something new every day, in my defence my psp hasn't been even switched on in 3 years so i haven't ventured near the psp side of the psn/sen

i think my main dismay at this all is down to the fact the games i still have for the psp are

the two GTA's, Disida final fantasy, Crisis core, Kingdom Hearts, Metal Gear Ac!d, Metal Gear Ac!d 2 and portable ops......which aren't up on that list

once they are on that list i'll probably not give two hoots, but until then (since i have all the above on UMD) i'd have to buy them all again to use on a vita because to me there is no point keeping a psp if a vita can technically play all psp games.

i suppose the fact i don't use my psp due to it having a broken square button and noisey UMD drive don't help either

Edited by Agent Gibbs

Perhaps Sony simply couldn't find a way to make it work. Short of asking for proof of purchase, they have no way of knowing if you own the game.

Yes they could, they had a UMD passport system in Japan which they then decided not to bring anywhere else.

It's simple why people outside of Japan would choose to use custom firmware and rip their games. Why carry around your Vita and an outdated, somewhat weighty PSP to have your full PSP and Vita library than just your Vita? All because you chose to buy physical copies of your PSP games over digital downloads?

To do this would be a sign of common sense, not pirating or immorality or whatever crap some people might think this means.

230 for vita, memory card and vt4... Getting more tempting by the day.

Played on one today, played uncharted. Fuck me the loading times are ridiculous! Technically impressive, not amazing to control; but the machine itself was pretty good!!

Got a chance to play with a Vita today.

Great hardware, really nice.

Uncharted was dumb though.

When you say load times are ridiculous, is that in a good or bad way?

Like cube said, ridiculous bad. Insanely long. It was the digital version, at first I thought it should be loads quicker as its installed, but then I thought would it be slower because it's off the memory card... If so then it's worrying the extremely expensive vita only memory cards are slow indeed.

I wasn't impressed with the game, but very impressed with the machine itself.

If virtua tennis is meant to be great I'll probably go for the amazon deal.

WipEout is due to get a patch to alleviate the load times, although I've no idea how significant a cut they can make. I've also heard the situation might be exacerbated by an OS issue, so future firmware could potentially take the edge off.

Hopefully it's just a teething problem of developers getting to grips with a new machine.

Based on the size of the device , I would think that the lazy option would be sticking to buttons.

Amazon have dropped their bundle price( Vita, 8GB mem card, choice of a selcetion of games ) to £214.99.

Anyone who has pre-ordered - has the price of yours changed in the 'Your Orders' section?

Mine is still showing at £232.84?

And I haven't had an email from them either. :hmm:

Yes mine has reduced in price, but to the price you just posted so are you sure yours hasn't reduced? (that's with p&p)

Nope, my price hasn't changed either. It better. How quick are Amazon at updating prices usually?

Where does it say the price has been reduced?

When I re-add the bundle to the basket (just to check) there isn't any discount at all. So I'm confused.

EDIT: Oh no, it's £214.99 without the game.

Edited by Daft

Nope, my price hasn't changed either. It better. How quick are Amazon at updating prices usually?

Where does it say the price has been reduced?

When I re-add the bundle to the basket (just to check) there isn't any discount at all. So I'm confused.

Mine doesn't say it's been reduced, I just know the price is less that it was the other day when I look at my order.

The deal doesn't show up in the price until you get to the last ordering screen if I remember right so the offers wont show in the basket.

Is the deal not supposed to be ?215 for the Vita and the memory card, then a reduced cost of certain games (?15). ie. ?230, then potentially first class delivery on top of that?

Yeah, it's what Sheikah said. It hasn't changed from that.

Hap, what bundle are you ordering and for how much? I think I've just got things confused.

Ive got Wifi Vita, 8gb card and Rayman Origins preordered. With P&P that came to ?236 something the other day and is now down to ?232.84 so that was originally ?219 for the handheld and card and ?15 for the game then postage.