NEurope
Aneres11

PlayStation Vita Console Discussion

Erm, I also don't know which games to get? Do we have a launch list?

Uncharted: Golden Abyss

WipEout 2048

Reality Fighters

Little Deviants

ModNation Racers: Road Trip

Everybody's Golf

Escape Plan

Top Darts

Hustle Kings

Unit 13

MotorStorm RC

Rayman Origins

Lumines: Electronic Symphony

Michael Jackson The Experience

Asphalt Injection

Dungeon Hunter Alliance

Virtua Tennis 4

Super Stardust Delta

I was under the impression, from the demo, that Reality Fighters was an in-built (i.e. free) game...but it's a £20 retail game.

This is the kind of thing I would get behind once it gets some decent games / potentially gets some good custom firmware. I do like the dual (proper) analogue sticks, as well as it being pretty powerful while having a longer battery than the 3DS.

Maybe when it gets some better games and drops in a price a bit I'll get it. Inevitably there'll be a drought at the beginning so I don't see much point.

Had a little surprise today. Went into Game and to my surprise, they had a PS Vita demo booth that had apparently just been set up. Spent a good 20 minutes playing with it before I had to go.

It's pretty comfortable. After seeing it when it was first revealed and seeing the hella weird hand position people were playing it with when using the analog's, I was sceptical of their placement. I played Gravity Rush with no problem though whilst moving and adjusting camera angles, it felt pretty good. The sticks are quite small though, then again so are all of the buttons on the device.

Played a bit of Wipeout too and it looks fucking gorgeous. Although you can only have one of the other when it comes to looks and performance, I still wish they had just toned down the graphics a bit to enable 60fps as I can definitely tell the difference (I imagine one of the many people I've argued with in the 3DS board can vouch for that).

Interesting conversation I had with an employee there though. Apparently they still have no idea what bundles they're getting but apparently they're not going to get enough memory cards to go around (bullshit alarm started ringing here). Also told that if I don't have a pre-order I have no chance of getting one for a few months, which seemed slightly suspicious as there were a lot of deposit prices crossed out and had half the price written in marker. Then he told me it was sold out in Japan, so instead of being a dick and calling him out on the bullshit, I just said I'll think it over.

Turned out when I spoke to my mate who used to work there, the dude is the manager heh. Still, trying to keep it sensible though as I don't fancy having any 3DS situation where I have a system with one game for a good while only to see it cut down in price.

What the GAME manager said about the stock is probably true - but it's due to them not being able to afford too many units.

What the GAME manager said about the stock is probably true - but it's due to them not being able to afford too many units.

I've only just had a gander at the article about it on the front page, sounds about right.

I'm probably just going to wait for something along the lines of a price drop or a very good bundle to come out. If it doesn't happen before my placement, I'll just pick one up in Japan.

At gamestation prior to the release of the 3DS the guy there was bullshitting me about there being low stock levels so we should preorder (at the cost of a £10 deposit). I generally wouldn't trust a word of a GAME/gamestation employee, at least not while they're in the shop trying to make money off you.

I generally wouldn't trust a word of a GAME/gamestation employee, at least not while they're in the shop trying to make money off you.

^ Pretty much this. Most of what comes out of the mouths of the employees in GAME/Gamestation is bull. Not all, of course, but the majority are trying to get money out of you. Case in point, with the whole pre-order Vita thing, I was in GAME earlier in the week where the manager was telling someone they'd have limited stock (unlikely as it is a major store in a city up here) and that you'd need to put a pre-order down. He then went on to spew nonsense about how the Vita is more powerful than the PS3 in an effort to drum up interest/pre-orders. So I wouldn't trust them.

Undecided on whether to pick one of these up at launch. Rather disenfranchised with the 3DS (and gaming in generall to be honest) at the moment and while there are games available for this at launch I'd love to play and I have to money for it, I just can't justify the price for the console, some games and a memory card at this time.

I'll keep an eye out for deals (that Amazon one where you can Rayman Origins for £15 is pretty sweet) but think I may well wait a bit as I don't want to spend several hundred pounds on new hardware and then have it sit there unused like all my home consoles and 3DS are doing right now.

Usually you would be right about Game/Gamestation employees but given their current financial situation and even EA bosses coming out and saying their are difficulties there are very real reasons why they may struggle to get the stock in.

Honestly though, I would be extremely surprised if this sold out given that it's hardly in massive demand relative to say what the Wii was; there was a similar belief that the PS3 would sell out (that was twice the cost of this) yet they stacked up by the dozen in shops.

But really, small GAME outlets probably don't get many in and for the life of me I never understand why people use these seemingly ripoff places to buy consoles for release (often midnight queuing for something I've been playing for a day already from ShopTo!)

It may be that individual small outlets sell out but I'd be flabergasted if this wasn't available for a while from every online retail option. Could be flabergasted though, but I'm guessing not.

Edited by Sheikah
Automerged Doublepost

I got Lumines with the Amazon bundle. Eurogamer have a nice little preview. I'm looking forward to it. Perfect portable game, really.

Lumines Vita Preview: History Repeating

Uncharted: Golden Abyss

WipEout 2048

Reality Fighters

Little Deviants

ModNation Racers: Road Trip

Everybody's Golf

Escape Plan

Top Darts

Hustle Kings

Unit 13

MotorStorm RC

Rayman Origins

Lumines: Electronic Symphony

Michael Jackson The Experience

Asphalt Injection

Dungeon Hunter Alliance

Virtua Tennis 4

Super Stardust Delta

I was under the impression, from the demo, that Reality Fighters was an in-built (i.e. free) game...but it's a £20 retail game.

From that list I'm going to pick up,

WipEout 2048

Escape Plan

MotorStorm RC (Depending on reviews, though)

Super Stardust Delta

WipEout and Motostorm are meant to work on the PS3, too so that's a bonus. Plus, I suspect apart from Escape Plan which I have no idea about, that they'll all cost about £10/12.

I'll pick up Uncharted at a later date, me thinks.

WipeOut is £30 in stores. I don't think it'll be much cheaper on the PSN.

Good point. I'd rather have it on PSN, though. I wonder if it is playable on PS3 after all.

I thought the cross-play was just for the WipeOut HD tracks (i.e. the WipeOut HD tracks were in the Vita game).

ORLY? Didn't realise that. I thought that 2048 would be playable on the PS3, my bad.

Any idea if you can actually play HD on the Vita? I need to play more of the campaign.

Here's what I could find:

PSB: Perhaps the most technically impressive feature is the crossplay support with the PS3 version of Wipeout HD Fury. What are my options in terms of crossplay?

MP: Not only will PS Vita players be able to play 2048 with other PS Vita players, they will be able to play Wipeout HD against PS3 players using Wipeout HD tracks and ships. And the number of PS Vitas and PS3s doesn’t matter for crossplay. It can be seven PS3s and one PS Vita, seven PS Vitas and one PS3, or any number in between.

There are so many people who own Wipeout HD, so you get immediate access to that community and you can experience tracks and a gameplay style that’s unique. When you’re playing Wipeout HD cross-play on PS Vita, you are able to use motion controls and touchscreen features as well, if you like.

Rooting aroung online, it appears that the price difference between PSN and Retail releases is going to be a pretty meagre £5, which no doubt is a difference which will decrease over time when retailers decide to drop the price. I don't actually understand what the thing is with digital distribution on consoles keeping the price the same over the course of the products life span. It's absurd.

Anyway, not gonna be able to afford this when it comes out =(, but will hopefully pick one up around May, when the launch games are also a little cheaper.

I don't actually understand what the thing is with digital distribution on consoles keeping the price the same over the course of the products life span. It's absurd.

Whilst I agree with your sentiment, the Vita isn't actually out yet so you might want to wait and see. I'm pretty sure the digital prices for PSP games have gone down over time. Sony themselves seem the most aggressive in this respect, but other publishers have followed suite.

At the moment I have a Wi-FI unit, 8GB card and Rayman pre-ordered with Amazon. I'm somewhat tempted to bump that up to a 3G in the name of future proofing, but I think that course of action really hinges on them lowering the price a bit; if the difference was £20-40, rather than £50, I'd probably go for it. Hopefully there will be some price matching going on in the next couple of weeks.

Incidentally my Vita will be partly funded by clearing out old games. After raiding the attic for older titles I'll never play again/can't be arsed to sell separately, it works out to just over £100 in Amazon credit. Might be an idea if anyone's strapped for cash.

Edited by Aimless

That's good to know, since I was really going on just the 360 price models (of course, Steam is an example of digital distribution where prices do actually fluctuate, but I somehow doubt Sony are going to try and emulate Valve's more generous pricing structures...)

Also: there's pretty much no reason to buy the 3G, since online multiplayer is disabled (unless the game you're playing is turn based), and there's a 20mb limitation on downloads, reducing it's utility quite a bit for most gamers. I also think that they'll probably release a 4G model at some point, since those networks are in the pipeline now.

It's not actually the 3G I'm interested in but the GPS module attached to it. Not really £50 interested, though.

The digital distribution prices were highlighted in the Christmas sale Sony had on PSN - all games that were also out in retail were actually still cheaper at retail than the PSN "sale" price (out of the ones I saw, anyway).

The God of War and Ico collection were cheaper than retail, I believe.

I mean seriously. What are those graphics about?!!! Lighting is insane!

Just when I tell myself to wait for a Vita and leave it a few months I subject myself to things like that. :shakehead

Must... resist... pre-order...

Looks really good!

Wonder if there's ANY chance that Golden Abyss will show up on PS3 at some point?... even if it's a year from now.