NEurope
Aneres11

PlayStation Vita Console Discussion

I wasn't expecting it to be brought here in its current state but I was expecting an alternative to be offered.

Ah well, doesn't affect me too much, I intend to hack my device whenever I get one. It'd be great if they stopped giving me reasons to do so, but nah, this is Sony we're talking about.

EDIT: Good to see the vita is above the PSP in sales this week and the fact we're seeing some software in the charts.

Edited by Debug Mode

Voda doing their own offer if you buy from them. Hard to justify getting the 3G elsewhere.

Good deal. I will buy but probably not day 1. I am a little busy as of late.

Great justification for hacking it.

I still don't get this completely ridiculous opposition to hacking. I don't pirate my games, I was actually hoping to pay a little bit more for a digital copy of the games I actually own so I can play them on the Vita. I bought them new, at a physical store, you know, the places that need confidence in Sony's device to allocate decent shelf space to their next handheld offering because too many dickwads went and pirated their games.

Great justification? It's justification enough. I don't intend to pirate any of the games, but I don't want to be penalised because I actually supported the developers and Sony where it matters. And I would be well within the law if I were to hack the device.

Voda doing their own offer if you buy from them. Hard to justify getting the 3G elsewhere.

It's hard to justify getting the 3G from anywhere.

As for hacking, aren't you worried that your whole console could be bricked if you go online with it?

As for hacking, aren't you worried that your whole console could be bricked if you go online with it?

Online has been the trade off with Sony consoles and I think that's a fair trade. They offer their service for free so if they would rather not accept custom firmware users to use the service, that's fine by me. I've managed it well enough with the PSP. It's also against the law for a company to brick a device some one has paid for just because they have used the device for unintended but legal purposes.

The content manager Sony uses for the Vita acts as a safeguard to prevent people putting forbidden material on to the device or the memory card because it will not run unless you are connected to the internet. A very dickish move, as that allows them to see the logs of what you have put on the device and disables you moving harmless stuff like mp3's and images if you don't update your device.

Thankfully, the community have created Open CMA, which I'll be using hack or no hack. I'm not going to let them impose this ridiculous shit on me as a legitimate customer.

Online has been the trade off with Sony consoles and I think that's a fair trade. They offer their service for free so if they would rather not accept custom firmware users to use the service, that's fine by me. I've managed it well enough with the PSP. It's also against the law for a company to brick a device some one has paid for just because they have used the device for unintended but legal purposes.

The content manager Sony uses for the Vita acts as a safeguard to prevent people putting forbidden material on to the device or the memory card because it will not run unless you are connected to the internet. A very dickish move, as that allows them to see the logs of what you have put on the device and disables you moving harmless stuff like mp3's and images if you don't update your device.

Thankfully, the community have created Open CMA, which I'll be using hack or no hack. I'm not going to let them impose this ridiculous shit on me as a legitimate customer.

I thought that only in the US that such laws had been passed.

I thought that only in the US that such laws had been passed.

It is presumably covered here by criminal damages but as far as I know, there are no cases. The law here allows you to modify your devices within the law considering if you pay for them, you own them, so the concept of ownership for the device should apply to companies remotely bricking the device.

I don't think there's any cases of companies actually doing such a thing as it would no doubt end up as a massive shit storm. Nintendo's wording on the matter would indicate that's what they would do, but they haven't. In theory, they could only really do it for software considering we purchase a 'license', but as we all know there's a whole can of worms waiting in that situation considering the so called 'contract' we enter when we buy software even though we don't actually know what we are to abide to until after we buy and open the game and that it can't be fully legally binding without a signature.

I'm just tired of people thinking that hacking your own device is a completely unforgivable crime, it's what you use it for that matters. If I had outright said "I can't wait for it to be hacked so I can pirate loads of games because Sony did bleh and blah", Daft would have been in the right to call into question my justification. But doing so for my intentions to have my Vita hacked whenever I buy one to let me play the PSP games I actually own on it is completely ridiculous, how does that affect any one? It's like questioning why some one would jailbreak their iPhone, because it offers you more and free features for your device.

I think the main reason it's frowned upon is because the people who do hack devices for piracy reasons are the majority.

I'm just tired of people thinking that hacking your own device is a completely unforgivable crime, it's what you use it for that matters. If I had outright said "I can't wait for it to be hacked so I can pirate loads of games because Sony did bleh and blah", Daft would have been in the right to call into question my justification. But doing so for my intentions to have my Vita hacked whenever I buy one to let me play the PSP games I actually own on it is completely ridiculous, how does that affect any one? It's like questioning why some one would jailbreak their iPhone, because it offers you more and free features for your device.

I dont think its ridiculous at all. You are complaining that you cant play games for a previous system on a newer one. Plus everything ive read about owning games and being able to use Roms of them has said that its just an urban myth.

EDIT:

Quick search and Nintendo have this in an FAQ on their site:

Can I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game?

There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.

http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp#download_rom

Edited by Happenstance

Just to go against Daft. If I had a PSP or Vita, which I will never buy. I would hack it just to play pirated games and never buy my own games.

Not that surprising about the Passport Program, after all there's only a small selection of the PSP catalog actually available on the PSN. I doubt publishers were willing to put in extra work to create the digital versions. Still sucks though. They could at least heavily discount PSP titles around the Vita's launch.

Edited by Ike

I dont think its ridiculous at all. You are complaining that you cant play games for a previous system on a newer one. Plus everything ive read about owning games and being able to use Roms of them has said that its just an urban myth.

And that's not a problem to me as there are plenty of homebrew applications for the original PSP that enable you to rip your own game from the disc.

The whole rom situation is ridiculous any way. I imagine that it's more than likely that the people who argue "oh it's a new/different system" have downloaded and played a backup of a game before, where is all this hooting and hollering about the various emulators on the current PSP or the Wii or even the PC? Like I said before, if I was offered an opportunity to buy a digital copy at a discounted price by Sony or the relevant developer, I would. But this isn't happening and I'm expected to pay full price yet again for a game I already bought full price and brand new which they see the money from, where's the justification in this?

Not that surprising about the Passport Program, after all there's only a small selection of the PSP catalog actually available on the PSN. I doubt publishers were willing to put in extra work to create the digital versions ready. Still sucks though. They could at least heavily discount PSP titles around the Vita's launch.

It's a shame really. Clearly a lot of titles are compatible with the Vita considering the offering that's there on the day of the launch, developers are missing out on some extra cash.

Its not the fact that you are doing it, its the fact that you are trying to justify it by blaming Sony for not allowing you to play an out of date game on a new system.

Its not the fact that you are doing it, its the fact that you are trying to justify it by blaming Sony for not allowing you to play an out of date game on a new system.

I'm not directly blaming Sony though. I've acknowledged that there is a shared blame between Sony and the developers of penalising those with physical copies. They've given me the lone choice of paying full price yet again, while the hacking community allows me to play my backup on the device.

If a significant amount of work had to be put in to the software to make it run on the Vita, I'd pay their asking price. The way I've always seen it in (although technically against copyright law) is if it's the exact same thing, why wouldn't I choose the free option over the one that doesn't even offer a discount as thanks for my support? For example, many people have argued that they have the VHS or DVD of a film, therefore they're entitled to a rip of the same thing for free from the next generation medium. I disagree with this. What you had on VHS is different to what is offered on the DVD, and what you had on the DVD is different to blu-ray. You have new overhead costs such as materials and distribution, improved quality and special features.

None of this is happening for the Vita and that's a shame. I'm willing to hand over an extra fiver~tenner for a digital copy but nope, not being offered here.

All I am basically saying is that I dont really care if you hack it or not, just dont expect us to accept your justification for what is an illegal method of playing a game just because you dont agree with it. This is what you did before when you called @Daft s comment ridiculous and thats why I responded.

Using 'ridiculous' may have been a bit too harshly worded, but I'm pretty sure I clarified I can make my own back-up of my PSP games which is within the law. Well, providing the original is destroyed and then there's the problem of how to actually use that backup within the law.

Well sticking it to media companies is fine by me, apparently they are all suing Ireland now because Ireland doesn't let ISPs block websites. It just amazes me what they can do legally.

Any new bargains out there on this yet? Seen 218 with little deviants, seems reasonable...

Found a few reviews. Pretty average worryingly. Even Wipeout is said to be disappoint compared to the console version... Uncharted seems to be the stand o ut (obvious) but then even that pales in comparison... This is my biggest fear about this (and the same mistake as PSP); tries to be a portable PS3 and offers inferior versions...

*granted, this was only one sites reviews (eurogamer)*

Everything is disappointing next to WipEout HD. That game is a masterpiece.

The Lumines (p?)review was promising and obviously SS Delts is the game to get.

I want to know more about Motorstorm RC. I want to know how it controls.

Strangely, I had more fun with the WipeOut Vita demo then I ever did in WipeOut HD.

Edit: Motorstorm RC controls

Left Stick: Turn Left/Right

Right Stick: Accelerate/Brake.

That's it. It feels very...loose. Kind of like an RC car, I suppose.

I guess I'm not getting how the perspective works. It's fixed camera isn't it? Can't really imagine it.

It's a top-down camera (well, it's angled downwards a bit). It's zoomed in, though, so it's not completely fixed.

Yeah I love Wipeout HD, wouldn't mind something as good on a handheld.

Uncharted, Wipeout, Marvel, Hustle kings and Ninja Gaiden interest me. See what reviews say...