NEurope
dan-likes-trees

Diddy Kong Racing

Picked myself an n64 and games off ebay, have to say this is the best of the bunch that I've got, holds up brilliantly today! Getting incredibly tough as well, some of the TT time trials, and the blue coin challenges too. Surprised this isn't on virtual console.

Anyone else have fond memories?

It's not on VC because of the DS port I guess. It was fun to play online, but I guess no one plays it anymore.

This was one of the best games on the N64, I loved how it was a racing game but yet felt as grand as an adventure game like Mario 64 or Banjo. Way back in Christmas 1997 was when I first had this game.....tiptup was my favourite character.

This was one of the best games on the N64, I loved how it was a racing game but yet felt as grand as an adventure game like Mario 64 or Banjo. Way back in Christmas 1997 was when I first had this game.....tiptup was my favourite character.

Good man! :D

I LOVE this game to bits and played it constantly with my mates back in the day. I still think this was way better than Mario Kart 64 as there was so much to do in single player.

Some of my best memories come from playing the snow stages, the music on them is fantastic. I'm also a big fan of the title music.

Title Theme

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Frosty Village

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

I picked it up on the DS when it first came out but I didn't care much for all the new bits and challenges they added to it.

Brilliant game. Lacks Mario Karts multiplayer fun, imo, but you can't argue with DKR's Adventure Mode.

I always picked Diddy or Timber... but I remember beating the Triceratops boss for the first time one cold, dark morning before school using Bumper! :heh: Remember all those rumours that Timber was going to get his own game? I love how his soundbite sounds like he's saying "crrrrapp."

*reminisces*

It is indeed one of the better titles on the machine,people of course compare it too Mario Kart 64 and i think they are as good as each other for different reasons.In fact at times i felt Diddy was actually more interesting as single player on MK64 on some tracks was so boring that you could hold the controller in one hand and eat an apple in the other while playing lol

It was a brilliant game. I thought the DS version was great, although it didn't need the balloon popping. And I'm sure the bosses were massively dumbed down.

This usually got played more than Mario Kart in multiplayer session when I was younger. I was usually Banjo. And I chose the plane whenever I could.

It has to be one of my favourite racing games of all time. The DS version just doesn't cut it for me so I traded my DS version in. Man it makes me wanna hook the N64 to my TV and give it another whirl. I loved the 2 player adventure cheat, played it together with my little brother, just awesome fun, taking turns against the bosses. Also learning of the bonus world and Drumstick frog. Never got T.T. unlocked though.

I picked this up a few years back for a few quid in Gamestation as just the cart, I never played it through to completion, but my did it hold up well as a damn fine game.

yeah lots of fond memories actually preferred it to Mario Kart 64 to be honest. keep meaning to pick up either the DS or N64 original again as my copy went missing!

You ever played the DS version? I think I tried it for a bit but for some reason I didn't quite like it compared to the original, it was so long ago now though that I can't remember why at all.

This is such a fantastic game! I loved how the single player was much more than just racing. It actually had a decent story to it and lost of exploration. Took me ages to beat wizpig and open up the space levels.

In agreement.

Loved this game - and yes i will admit that i used Pipsy. :blush:

Only coz she handled like a dream... i liked Conker too, but Pipsy just took corners really well. :D

I played the DS version too, and also wasnt a massive fan. It was great to play the single player again, but there was a lot that was left out that i missed.

I also agree that it was for me, better than MK64. In terms of single player its exactly how a racer should be done. Even to this day MK has never had an as engrossing 1p experience.

In agreement.

Loved this game - and yes i will admit that i used Pipsy. :blush:

Only coz she handled like a dream... i liked Conker too, but Pipsy just took corners really well. :D

I played the DS version too, and also wasnt a massive fan. It was great to play the single player again, but there was a lot that was left out that i missed.

I also agree that it was for me, better than MK64. In terms of single player its exactly how a racer should be done. Even to this day MK has never had an as engrossing 1p experience.

Heh, I used Tiptup myself, tight cornering for teh win :D

Yeah, this game was / is totally awesome...have some really good memories. I think this is the racing game for me...fun exploration and collect-a-thon, plenty of challenge with a difficulty that was constantly ramping up, a boatload of variation and different twists, boss battles that were actually tough, colourful visuals, tight controls...and most importantly, magnificent music!

Nothing like racing down those bosses with your heart pumping from the sheer excitement of the race and the pure genius of the music as you're both neck and neck..."get outta the way!", you shout while your nervous and sweaty finger pulls the trigger...BAM!, your missile does manage to hit the boss right in the keister, temporarily slowing him down! Dashing past the poor bastard, you cannot help grinning while at the same time, your grip on the controller tightens a bit..."Just one more lap", you think to yourself, trying to keep the little cool you have left after having your derriere handed to you a myriad times before this. Blazing forward, the music turns into the drums and clapping...you've got the lead, but looking at the map, you can see the boss getting closer and closer by the minute. As the tension begins to rise to an uncomfortably exhilarating height, you can literally feel the boss breathing down your neck...

It was a brilliant game. I thought the DS version was great, although it didn't need the balloon popping. And I'm sure the bosses were massively dumbed down.

Yeah, I prefer the original as well...no gimmicks, and the boss fights were actually hard!

Edited by Ville

Yeah, I prefer the original as well...no gimmicks, and the boss fights were actually hard!

I don't recall which I found hardest of the domain bosses, either the Octopus or the Dragon. (Wizpig doesn't count)

I remember that octopus was an absolute cunt!

I'm enjoying the love for this fella:

TiptupDKR.jpg

Tiptup in a hovercraft = race rape

I remember that octopus was an absolute cunt!

I'm enjoying the love for this fella:

TiptupDKR.jpg

Tiptup in a hovercraft = race rape

I enjoyed going to town on his choir :grin:

Yes.. I know that was a different game..

As for Diddy Kong Racing, I never got to play it back when it originally came out! This was a game that my friend always talked about getting along with his N64.. and then he went and got a PS1 instead :nono:

However, a few years ago I finally got around to picking it up and I wasn't sorry! Diddy Kong Racing is a fantastic game and a great companion to Mario Kart 64 on the N64 :hehe:

It was certainly a much more difficult game but there was plenty of satisfaction in overcoming the challenges :grin: Part of me thinks that I maybe couldn't manage it again.. Wizpig is the devil :eek:

The music is awesome in the game.. but very sorely missed when playing with 3 or 4 people :hmm:

I don't recall which I found hardest of the domain bosses, either the Octopus or the Dragon. (Wizpig doesn't count)

It took me hours to beat (Prince?) Tricky the Triceratops back on the N64.

Probably said this before but I too loved this game. No, I 'worship' this game. Bought it upon release knowing pretty much nothing about it and fell in love with it. It annihilated MarioKart64 and at times was nails. Also, when you went into space it was just mind-blowing. Brilliant game and the planes, hovercraft 'options' were quality.

Also: immense 64-bit audio (Rare, what else?) and the ice temple multiplayer map took over my life.

*Happy memories*

I haaaated this when I played it on my friend's 64 years back. I was really into Mario Kart back then. Played this and it just did nothing for me. I liked my carting pure.

I think back in those days you either belonged to the Mario Kart camp or Diddy. I was firmly in the Mario one.

I haaaated this when I played it on my friend's 64 years back. I was really into Mario Kart back then. Played this and it just did nothing for me. I liked my carting pure.

I think back in those days you either belonged to the Mario Kart camp or Diddy. I was firmly in the Mario one.

GET OUT! :D

I'm glad to see many of us on here actually prefer this over Mario Kart 64.

*hands out cookies*

The boss I found the hardest was probably the Octopus, such a git.

Ah I loved this game! Some of the races were hard though! Don't think I ever finished the game, probably got stuck somewhere close to the end (not sure I got to Wizpig?).

I especially loved it for its multiplayer mode. My sisters and I played it a lot! Especially the dinosaur level where you steal each others eggs (loved flying in the plane by the way, such a great addition to a racing game). Or the ice level. =D

GET OUT! :D

I'm glad to see many of us on here actually prefer this over Mario Kart 64.

*hands out cookies*

The boss I found the hardest was probably the Octopus, such a git.

Lol - takes my cookie. :grin:

I disagree with the 'camp' thing. I loved both games. And Mario Kart was one of my favourite games on the N64. But Diddy offered something totally different - it wasn't just a cash in making it look similar to Mario Kart.

But if I had to pick one i will admit that DKR would always get my vote.

Can I have another cookie? :laughing: