Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Mass Effect 3

gaggle64

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I managed to get my war readiness up to 100% today. It was fun playing the mulitplayer, but there seems to be a shortage of maps as I kept playing the same ones over and over. With that done I can now finish the fight, although it will have to wait til tomorrow.

I forgot to mention this yesterday but having to make some of the choices for the greater good really ripped my heart out.

I figured that by tricking Krogan about the cure would keep both them and the Salarians on my side for the war. Having to kill Morden to do it was heart breaking though. I have read you can actually talk him down, but I didn't have that option.

:(

My next heartache occured when I had to decide between the Geth or the Quarians. I honestly didn't want to trust the Geth so I had to side with the Quarians. Having to kill Legion in the process was a difficult but necessary action.

I managed to get my war readiness up to 100% today. It was fun playing the mulitplayer, but there seems to be a shortage of maps as I kept playing the same ones over and over. With that done I can now finish the fight, although it will have to wait til tomorrow.

I forgot to mention this yesterday but having to make some of the choices for the greater good really ripped my heart out.

I figured that by tricking Krogan about the cure would keep both them and the Salarians on my side for the war. Having to kill Morden to do it was heart breaking though. I have read you can actually talk him down, but I didn't have that option.

:(

My next heartache occured when I had to decide between the Geth or the Quarians. I honestly didn't want to trust the Geth so I had to side with the Quarians. Having to kill Legion in the process was a difficult but necessary action.

I went for the opposite on both of those.

Mordin was already dead in mine so I didnt have him around for the Krogan stuff but I gave them the real cure and while the Salarians werent happy I think it was mostly all ok.

I trusted the Geth and that worked out best. Both sides ended up happy and the Quarians got to go home. Unfortunately Legion still died though giving the Geth independence.

It takes a bit of a strange left turn in the final moments. As endings go it wouldn't be entirely out of place in the Final Fantasy series.

I've only seen one ending, the synthesis one, although from what I gather they're all largely the same.

It seemed like a very odd way to cap a trilogy built upon player choice, involving characters and an intricate universe. I'm not surprised so many people feel cheated when those core tenants are levelled into irrelevance by the finale: I saved everyone I could, united races and let new life flourish, but due to the Crucible firing I might as well not have bothered.

I don't really understand why BioWare took a stab at ambiguous grandeur when they could have kept the current ending up the point when Shepard and Anderson are sat dying on the Citadel, then had the Crucible deactivate all the Reapers. After that they could have throw in some vague hint as to the origin of the Reapers and suggest the breaking of the cycle will lead to a new galactic threat in the future, but Shepard's story would be finished, the choices the player had made would count for something, and the series could continue with a new protagonist several hundred years later in the timeline.

Also, I can't believe the ending didn't have anything to do with dark energy. They foreshadow the hell out of it in the second game, which to me suggests the ending we got wasn't the one intended at the start of the project.

Due to choices in ME1 and 2 I think I had it easier:

I went with curing the genophage properly. The cutscene with Mordin was extremely upsetting. "Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong." Thankfully, actions shortly later (mainly due to a ME2 squadmate) meant that the Salarians still joined me.

With the Geth and Quarians, I got them to agree to share their planet. Unfortunately, the Geth couldn't gain their free will without a sacrifice from Legion.

Still, even some of the smaller choices were tough. Like rescuing the primarch's son instead of it's crew. After saving him, having Shepard say "lets go get the crew" only to find out they're all dead was uneasy (in a good way)

I went with curing the genophage properly. The cutscene with Mordin was extremely upsetting. "Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong."

I loved that part.

Though once I got over it, all I could think was, "man, Happenstance is really missing out". :p

Also, I can't believe the ending didn't have anything to do with dark energy. They foreshadow the hell out of it in the second game, which to me suggests the ending we got wasn't the one intended at the start of the project.

It was going to be related to Dark Matter. The Reapers were trying to stop it, and turning other creatures into them to increase their resources in order to stop it. Humans, due to their genetic diversity (this has also been brought up before) were pretty much the "key" to solving it. The choice at the end would be killing the Reapers and taking your own chances to stop the dark energy, or to sacrifice humanity to stop it much, much sooner.

There was no closure. None of the big choices would actually matter, and you don't find what happened to any characters. I expected some to die "off screen", and expected that Shepard might die - but I wanted closure on a lot of things. I also expected your love interest to be pregnant (if possible).

Also, the two examples of AI in Mass Effect disprove the theory of the Catalyst. Both the Geth and EDI were more advanced, but wanted to work with organics. This development and the end just don't fit at all.

Instead, the three choices are:

- Controlling the Reapers. You seem to just fly them away, and I don't quite understand this ending. With the mass relays gone, most of the galaxy is fairly screwed now.

- Destroying the reapers. They're dead, as well as, sadly, the Geth and EDI, and everyone else is still fairly screwed again due to mass relays.

- Synthesis. You kill everyone (everyone! - well, nearly). To start the universe again with joint organic/synthetic DNA. Which doesn't make much sense (isn't this the stupid end to Star Trek: The Motion Pictures that the writers completely ignored afterwards?).

The bit with the Normandy also makes no sense - why are they suddenly running away, and why did two of my crew who were with me in London when Harbinger attacked suddenly appear on it? In one instance the black shouldn't affect them, one Joker is obviously attempting to save EDI and one they're all avoiding death.

However, there is a fan theory that most people seem to like.

From either the point where Harbinger narrowly misses Shepard, or when meeting The Illusive Man, Shepard begins to get indoctrinated (I personally prefer that The Illusive Man, who is indoctrinated, passes it on to Shepard when he takes control of her). The catalyst is altered in her mind to choose something beneficial to the reapers. The mass relay thing is thrown in to make the decision make the illusion that the decision is harder to make for Shepard. The choices are now:

- Control: As Shepard is at this point indoctrinated, this would simply render the catalyst useless. Note that, unlike all previous discussions of this topic, this decision is now blue - the "paragon" colour, as if convincing Shepard it is the "correct" choice.

- Synthesis. This makes everyone organic/synthetic lifeforms. The Reapers are a organic/synthetic lifeforms. Thus this likely manages to turn all life into Reapers, which is also a desired option for the Reapers.

- Destroy: This is the correct ending. The superweapon is used, and targeting all synthetic lifeforms (unfortunately killing the Geth and EDI), the mass relays are used but aren't destroyed in the process. Think of Stargate and the Dakara superweapon.

The Normandy thing is a dream (as it makes no sense) and the world can carry on. Shepard may or may not be death. The "best" ending shows Shepard breathing again if you select the destroy option (I don't know if the same is true of the other endings), which does give some credit to this theory.

Still, even if the ending was correct, in my game I have

In the Sol system, there is now humans, the Krogan fleet, Turian fleet, Asari fleet, Salarian fleet, Aria's Mercinary fleet, Henar fleet, Elcor fleet, Volus fleet, Rachni fleet, Batarian fleet, Quarian fleet and Drell fleet all stuck in the Sol system. I think I've remembered them all.

Put in about 15 hours or so and just passed the bit where you find out that...

Udina was helping Cerberus to try take over the Citadel. Didn't pull for the Renegade option to kill him, let Ashley pull that but was very happy to see the end of his sorry ass.

Thought that bit was cool but it pulled at my heartstrings when....

Thane died. Was awesome seeing him throw Kai Leng about but was saddened he went. Liked his character in the second game, probably one of the best I feel, so disappointed he wasn't around much here. Mordin going as well when I cured the genophage pulled pretty hard as well, mainly because of his final words.

And now, sooooooooooo many side quests to do. A little annoyed that one I picked up prior to the above events glitched and couldn't be completed. It's not a spoiler so I'll just say that when/if you pick up the side quest involving the Hanar diplomat, do it when you get it. Apparently if you don't do the first part of it at least (perhaps more) and leave the Citadel to come back and do it later, it bugs out and you're unable to do it.

- Destroy: This is the correct ending. The superweapon is used, and targeting all synthetic lifeforms (unfortunately killing the Geth and EDI), the mass relays are used but aren't destroyed in the process. Think of Stargate and the Dakara superweapon.

The mass relays are destroyed in all endings, though.

GOOD JOB SHEPARD YOU HAVE DOOMED EVERYONE.

Nah, the Normandy crew has apparently discovered teleportation, so it's all good.

That fan theory could have been cool if it had been what BioWare had intended, but it very obviously wasn't. :heh:

The final choice just boils down to:

-Blue light

-Green light

-Red light

The mass relays are destroyed in all endings, though.

GOOD JOB SHEPARD YOU HAVE DOOMED EVERYONE.

Nah, the Normandy crew has apparently discovered teleportation, so it's all good.

That's just what the Reapers said, doing that make no ending the obvious choice - helping them attempt to make Shepard choose the one they want.

That's how I'm taking the ending anyway.

The games will be so much better that way. The series is now all about Shepard and Anderson traveling around the galaxy and kicking butt.

...here's some dialogue that was cut from their conversation during the ending:

It's really well done — as with most of the game's character work — so I'm not sure why it didn't make its way into the game. I'd guess it was either a pacing or budget issue.

I'm loving the game so far

not sure on the assault rifle i got from the From Ashes.

Its nice to have a laser rifle and it is technically infinite ammo

but the reload speed?! god its bad

not sure if its too overpowered too, but since i only have the M8, M-15 vindicator and this its the best i have for now.

would be nice to actually use the Javik too....

- Synthesis. You kill everyone (everyone! - well, nearly). To start the universe again with joint organic/synthetic DNA. Which doesn't make much sense (isn't this the stupid end to Star Trek: The Motion Pictures that the writers completely ignored afterwards?).

Wait what? You dont kill everyone by choosing Synthesis, it just merges the DNAs. Thats why at the end on the planet you see plants with circuits along with Joker being part synthetic.

Wait what? You dont kill everyone by choosing Synthesis, it just merges the DNAs. Thats why at the end on the planet you see plants with circuits along with Joker being part synthetic.

Huh? Joker wasn't part-synthetic on mine. Him and EDI (fully synthetic) were hugging, and the two squad members I had with me at the end were there (normal) and the trees and plants were normal. I don't even understand how or why the Normandy is running. The catalyst said that "This cycle will end" which I took to mean that everyone currently alive would win, and live would start new and peacefully.

Personally, I see this option as "turn everyone into a Reaper" and the Reapers win.

Huh? Joker wasn't part-synthetic on mine. Him and EDI (fully synthetic) were hugging, and the two squad members I had with me at the end were there (normal) and the trees and plants were normal. I don't even understand how or why the Normandy is running. The catalyst said that "This cycle will end" which I took to mean that everyone currently alive would win, and live would start new and peacefully.

Personally, I see this option as "turn everyone into a Reaper" and the Reapers win.

Here you go, his eyes are green and you can see green circuitry markings and stuff on his skin.

This option just means that all Synthetic and organic life basically merged so there was no need for one to try and destroy the other. It ended the cycle meaning that they wouldnt need to wipe out all advanced life like previous cycles had.

It is weird that the Normandy is running but its just something im gonna accept. Same as my squad members being back on the ship, its a bit of an oversight but I love the series enough that im not too bothered.

EA's server keeps fucking losing connection as I near the end of a match -_- So much for XBox Live preventing the need for crap like that

I've only ever completed 1 match, and that was last night. Come close a few times, but thats due to the idiots i'm pitted with. We won the match because we simply stuck together as a team, we lost other matches due to people going at it alone.

Multiplayer is pretty decent, pity the maps are limited at present.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!