N-Europe

It's Britney, Bitch.

Slaggis

I was listening to this earlier:

and it hit me just how many genuinely great pop songs this woman has had. However little talent people seem to credit here with, she's undeniably been a musical force to reckon with over the past decade. I can't help but feel she has 'Girls Aloud' syndrome, in the sense that she comes out with some genuinely great pop music, but no one ever admits to actually appreciating some of it purely because it's at its core, Pop.

Anyway.

I rest my case. Oh, and Blackout is massively overlooked. "Heaven On Earth" is orgasmic on a decent pair of headphones. And "In The Zone" and an album is probably my favourite of the bunch.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio
Edited by Slaggis

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only know the big famous songs from the first albums (I have Oops I Did It Again from when it first came out, but least said about the album tracks on that, the better), but In The Zone and Blackout are great pop albums. In The Zone is my favourite. It felt less "producty". Like she might have had a hand in/enjoyed making it.

I didn't think her last one was very good.

Of course I find her credibility next to nil, but her name has been put to some entertaining pop songs.

I also love Toxic. The bit in the video where she screams and the glass breaks makes me laugh so much.

and it hit me just how many genuinely great pop songs this woman has had. However little talent people seem to credit here with, she's undeniably been a musical force to reckon with over the past decade. I can't help but feel she has 'Girls Aloud' syndrome, in the sense that she comes out with some genuinely great pop music, but no one ever admits to actually appreciating some of it purely because it's at its core, Pop.

But she writes very little of her own songs, and of those she does she is usually the co-writer. She isn't especially good at singing, either.

Britney Spears is a product, a brand. Although she is good pop you should probably more appreciate everyone around her.

I've always loved Britney Spears. I have all of her albums and love them all. Same with her songs but I love Overprotected, Stronger, Break the Ice and Out From Under. I also love Gimme More PURELY because of the first three seconds, haha.

I'll admit to liking Britney Spears a little but I'd say most of this comes from pure nostalgia as I was fairly young when she was doing "Oops, I did it again" etc.

She does have some quality songs but I just don't think she has that "Legend" status :hmm: It's close...but just not quite there yet.

Once she starts singing live and having a stronger input into herself and her music then she'll earn my respect. Like it was mentioned before, Britney Spears is a brand.

It's a little strange though. I actually fairly like her 'real' personality and that break-down that she had was just so brilliant as it just went completely against every stereotype and image of her and of the fame lifestyle.

She so plays up to the press though which was/is a little annoying.

Edited by Frank

I used to love Britney Spears. I still like her now, even though my friends would find it embarrassing. I don't really care what anyone thinks. She is amazing.

Loved Stronger and all her early songs. The one with Madonna. Everytime and Toxic were my favourites for years.

Break the ice is really good too.

• 3 months later...
When I first heard it, I thought "Really? Come on!" and then I heard it again and I liked it and I like it more and more as I hear the song. It does grow on you.

That's the same with any song (that isn't fundamentally bad). It's just people are willing to give Britney the time of day (for some strange reason). If you invested the same time in Bjork/Tori Amos/PJ Harvey/credible-artists-who-people-write-off-as-weird, you'd like them more and more.

She was alright to begin with. Then got shit, as it seems the trend for emerging pop star girls to start stripping off as soon as it becomes legal.

Sadly I must hate Toxic, main reason is because during college in the editing suite these girls would play it non-stop for two hours. Solid. Plus it reminded me of Catwoman from Batman Returns.