NEurope
Dante

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D

To be honest I expected these reviews for the game. :blank:

We all knew it was based on an extra addition to the main Resi console games so it was never going to score highly.

At the end of the day, the game appeals to me because this is a handheld console...

Therefore, the majority of games are going to be pick up and play - which this exactly is.

Every review i've read has been raving about how the game looks, controls and plays. Then they will slate it for just being a mode from the main games.

Well duh. It is called Resident Evil The "Mercenaries".

All I will say is that perhaps the full price tag may be steep for it, but they will milk it for all its worth.

I expect it to go down in price relatively quickly so totally get why people want to wait until that happens before purchasing.

This is just a lazy, lazy game. Capcom are spewing so many of these out lately. There's no reason they couldn't be developing a fully fledged RE game for the 3DS. Heck, they could port Resi 4 (for the 900th time) and it would be better than this.

I wonder if they prevented deleting your saves because they knew loads of people would want to trade or rent it after seeing how weak it was.

This is just a lazy, lazy game. Capcom are spewing so many of these out lately. There's no reason they couldn't be developing a fully fledged RE game for the 3DS.

But... they are... :hmm:

Wanted to say the same thing... :heh:

Doesn't make a full priced game featuring an action heavy bonus mode from a game series where characters are as nimble as your average tank a better value, but still.

Well my copy just arrived.

Going to give it a go in a bit then will post my comments for anyone interested.

I'm a massive Resident Evil fan, so looking forward to playing!

^ Same as above! :D

Gonna be writing a review for the site too - an honest and fair review at that :heh: - so watch this space! :)

^ Same as above! :D

Gonna be writing a review for the site too - an honest and fair review at that :heh: - so watch this space! :)

Well that's good to hear!

The reviews i've read so far do not add up! It's highly praised then shot down to like a 5 or a 6 because its just Mercenaries!

Just popped it into the 3ds now - i'm excited!!

Edit: Just went straight into the Revelations demo. Oh. My. Sweet. Lord. Above.

I must have that game right now. It lasted about 10 minutes but it was absolutely amazing.

It felt like old style Res - controlling Jill, scares round every corner, atmospheric!

It controlled really really well too.

Lets hope Mercenaries is as good ha!

Edited by Aneres11

First impressions from about an hours play...

It's Mercenaries

It's portable

It's good

Will play more later after work.

Got my copy today also. Really enjoying it. It's addictive, looks great, controls better than expected (shame there no Zelda style gyro-aiming though) and the online co-op is superb. Just had 5 online games, which were tremendous fun and didn't experience any lag.

Ha, fair enough. I only got my 3DS this morning so you can excuse me for not following the latest in 3DS news up until recently :heh: Let me reword then: I don't see why they don't skip all these cash-ins and concentrate all their efforts on a fully fledged unique RE title.

I was thinking about picking this up but had concerns over how long it will hold my interest for.

Issues about the save file don't bother me as it's incredibly rare I ever trade anything in - I'd seriously have to hate the game.

But I can't help but feel it's going to see its price slashed pretty quickly too and maybe it's better waiting a little while.

Is the multiplayer Co-op or against each other?

Co-op play for local and online multiplayer.

But I can't help but feel it's going to see its price slashed pretty quickly too and maybe it's better waiting a little while.

If anybody's unsure about picking this up, I'd say £20 would be a fair price, but buy now if you're a Mercenaries fan, high score junkie or completist. Just like Ridge Racer, which is the only game I've kept from the launch line up, I can see myself playing this for hours, and dipping into it now and again in the future.

If anybody's unsure about picking this up, I'd say £20 would be a fair price, but buy now if you're a Mercenaries fan, high score junkie or completist. Just like Ridge Racer, which is the only game I've kept from the launch line up, I can see myself playing this for hours, and dipping into it now and again in the future.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

I have been forcing myself to put it down so I don't play too much of it ha.

I think its great. Once I have finished with the single player I will probably dip into the online too if anyone wants a game!?

Right this is another game convincing me to wait another year for the 3DS. There seriously gonna be anything original or good until Mario kart 3DS.

For all of its flaws I can't help but appreciate the improvements plus the fact that it's a portable version of The Mercenaries and in 3D at that...

I will say this... if you really want a portable version of this fantastic game then it's worth it, if you spent a long time playing the mini-game on both Resi 4 & 5 then you'll most certainly enjoy this but equally if you can wait for the price to drop then by all means do so.

The demo for Revelations although painfully short does indicate that it will be a fantastic new entry in the series which feels like it's going back to the roots of the series and will probably be more worthy of your cash, but until then this is still one of the better 3DS titles I've played and even though it could be considered something of a stop-gap title, it's still very enjoyable for what it is.

Does the game save single player high scores separately to co-op high scores? And how many high scores are saved, just 1 per level, or one for every single character?

I'm tempted to get the game, but the reviews have really put me off paying full price. Think I'll wait it out until it's reduced.

I've read a few people saying they like playing for the scores, if you're interested in competing against other people I recommend Cyberscore. The game isn't currently up there, but it's sure to be accepted whenever someone requests it.

After the joke that was ocarina, game are continuing their ineptitude by no mercenaries arriving. It probably not their fault, but I don't care, maybe by coincidence, but they are the only ones who let me down.

Probably for the best, need to write. Still annoying though!

After the joke that was ocarina, game are continuing their ineptitude by no mercenaries arriving. It probably not their fault, but I don't care, maybe by coincidence, but they are the only ones who let me down.

Wow really?!

I ordered Ocarina from GAME too and that didn't arrive until the following Tuesday after the Friday release. (Was pre-orderd).

I also pre-ordered Mercenaries from GAME as wasn't bothered when it turned up and am collecting reward points and it arrived yesterday?

Something dodgy going on somewhere me thinks.

They shipped my copy of Solatorobo on Tuesday and unless it's turned up today it's still taken 3 days to arrive.

From what the reviews are saying it's what I expected from the game.

Most people are probably going to wait for it to hit the £15-£20 mark; which makes it extra sucky that you can't delete saves.

They also prevented you from deleting saves in Resi 2 for the N64 as well.

I picked this up this morning and i'm finding the controls a little fiddly. I like the FPS shooting method but the movement controls for that method suck. For all the others I like the movement method but the shooting controls suck. I'm not like holding down R while shooting with Y. I think it's because i'm used to playing these type of games with a Xbox 360 pad. I just can't win! :(

Stick with the default controls H-o-T and just keep practicing, that's all I can say, I agree that it isn't natural to fire with the Y button but you do get used to it after a few hours.

----------------------

I've unlocked the fifth set of missions so far and recently unlocked most of the characters including Barry who is actually pretty awesome :D also got a medal for killing my first 1000 enemies lol.

Time flies when you're having fun. ;)

Stick with the default controls H-o-T and just keep practicing, that's all I can say, I agree that it isn't natural to fire with the Y button but you do get used to it after a few hours.

I've been on and off it all day and I just can't get to grips with it. I found it really frustrating and sluggish, so much so I drove down the Metro Centre and traded it in, only lost a fiver on it. I think that's a new record for me, buying and trading the game on the same day. :D