NEurope
Dante

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D

Capcom: Resi Evil 3DS will retain value

Upcoming Nintendo 3DS game Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D will retain its second-hand value despite preventing gamers from deleting save data, Capcom has insisted.

This morning it emerged that saved data on The Mercenaries 3D, out in the UK this Friday, cannot be reset.

Eurogamer has since verified the reports, and the inclusion of the restriction in the European version of the game.

Some speculated this was an effort on Capcom's part to combat second-hand sales.

But a Capcom spokesperson told Eurogamer this morning that the game's value will not be affected by the new feature.

"The game's value at second-hand in the UK is not affected by whether or not the game can have its data reset," Capcom said.

"Customers in the UK will not experience a reduced second-hand value should they wish to trade in their purchase."

So that's that, then. When was the last time you checked to see whether a video game allowed you to reset save data before trading it in or buying it second-hand?

Literally just pre-ordered and paid for this on Shopto, here's hoping they're as speedy with this as they were with Zelda. :)

Got my copy today, but haven't had a chance to play yet. To be honest, my wife's more of an RE fan than me! I'll try to have a go and post my impressions later.

Got my copy today, but haven't had a chance to play yet. To be honest, my wife's more of an RE fan than me! I'll try to have a go and post my impressions later.

Any impressions would be great as I keep going back and forth with this title. I actually cancelled my preorder today as I still think this game will lack long term appeal, especially when you think it's just an expansion of a mini game.

I've played the first seven missions (as well as the RE Revelations demo), and it's pretty fun. Graphics are really nice, and controls are standard Resident Evil. I don't know how many levels there are yet, but there are different characters and abilities to unlock. I can't say for sure how much replayability you'll get out of it - I guess it depends how much you like beating your own high score. At any rate, you'll play it longer than Steel Diver. :p

Unlockable characters past the initial 8... or do you have to unlock some of those?

There are only three characters available at the start, although it doesn't seem to take long to unlock the rest, as I had I think five after playing for twenty minutes. Each character also has another costume, which must be unlocked.

I am really excited about this!

Has been on pre-order for ages.

I was late to the Ridge Racer party so got that, Zelda, Dead or Alive which I still go on everyday and soon this to keep me going!

Not to mention my new love film membership so I can rent all the other titles I wanna play for the other consoles.

Good games to go on for me and this has been top of my wish list for aaages! :grin:

I wonder if removing the cart while it says its saving willl corrupt and delete the saves.

Possibly... although I suspect the file will be backed up with another save so that if one corrupts, the other can be loaded and the previous be written over.

EB looking to pull the game?

Electronics Boutique Australia is reportedly about to pull Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D from sale.

Vooks.net claimed today that the supposed decision was a response to fears surrounding the game's second-hand sale value.

Gamers reacted angrily to the news yesterday – verified by Eurogamer – that it is impossible to delete Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D save data.

"Our source says that this is due to the game not having the ability to be started fresh, meaning that any re-sell of the game is basically useless," Vooks said.

Yesterday Capcom told Eurogamer Mercenaries 3D will retain its second-hand value despite preventing gamers from deleting save data.

"The game's value at second-hand in the UK is not affected by whether or not the game can have its data reset," Capcom said.

"Customers in the UK will not experience a reduced second-hand value should they wish to trade in their purchase."

All this because they state it on the box? They could have just done what SEGA did and not mention it at all.

wait for it! i can see them recalling it and re-releasing in a month or two if shops keep refusing to stock it

Some more retailers put a block on the game.

This turned out to be an absolutely huge story, don't you think? This minor game decision has snowballed into retailers reacting in some surprising ways. Now we've learned that GameStop in North America is going to block this game from trade-in due to not being able to delete saves, and on top of that, GameFly is not renting the game for the same issue. I wonder when Capcom is going to make a statement on this!

Anyone understand the actually logic of this? Or is it just to stop people buying 2nd hand copies?

I've got mine ordered anyway. Many people on here getting it for some online fun?

So what happens if people want to replay/ restart the game? Buy a new copy...?

You just replay the levels. As far as I'm aware, you just select the levels from a menu.

Edit: If you've played the Rogue Squadron games I would imagine the structure to be somewhat similar.

Edited by Cube

It would be a shame though, to replay it and have all the characters and trophies and top scores unlocked from the start.

I rarely buy games second hand, so I'm not too bothered, but I thought the creators had stated that it wouldn't be a problem?

I thought they just said that shops would still give the same amount of money for a trade-in as any other game.

I thought they just said that shops would still give the same amount of money for a trade-in as any other game.

Half of the RRP just after the initial weekend of release? (only then to sell it on for three pounds less than the price of a new copy)

Yep, sounds about right. :p

I wonder whether this problem will lead to us finding out how much 3DS games can be patched...

Wow just seen the gametrailers review, defo not buying it now.

The AI issue was obvious back when I played the demo in March, I'm surprised they haven't sorted it out. Capcom *tut tut*

Dire reviews make this an easy pass. Shame, as it could have been decent. I'll pick it up when it hits clearance.