NEurope
Dante

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D

Nintendo Power Capcom's Masachika Kawata Interview

- decision to make The Mercenaries came after Revelations was underway, in order to provide a more conventional experience

- the experience the team had creating large multi-dimensional maps and displaying many characters on screen at once helped to positively influence Revelations

- characters chosen based on popularity with fans

- some old music from the series in addition to new stuff

- if Mercenaries establishes itself as a franchise, DLC is possible, though they'd have to consult Nintendo regarding the specifics

- didn't have to hold back on graphics, developed it as a full-calibur title as they would for an HD console (anti-aliasing in 2D mode)

- was a challenge to balance the level of 3D so that it wasn't too taxing on players over long periods of time

- feels Nintendo is more aware of third parties and each of their specialties with 3DS, which has led to a wider representation of genres

- skill system features progression - 3 grades per skill

- medal system

- hints at something else in the game to enhance replayability

- Revelations coming along nicely, game is 'huge,' will be full of new ideas and characters

Please tell me that's just the US boxart...

I mean, the image itself isn't bad, but half of it is clogged with crap. I mean, why two different +18 stamps?

Please tell me that's just the US boxart...

I mean, the image itself isn't bad, but half of it is clogged with crap. I mean, why two different +18 stamps?

It's definitely not the US art, we don't have 18+ stamps. The US has M for Mature which is 17.

I do agree though, nice image cluttered with so much crap.

God, it really is European. I first thought the warnings were English&French, but upon closer inspection they're actually German&French... Urgh.

Now you know what kind of shit I have to deal with over here in this fucking country...

Now you know what kind of shit I have to deal with over here in this fucking country...

If the boxart is European, we all have to deal with it :heh:

Nah I shouldn't think so, this sort of thing has never appeared on UK boxarts before, so whilst it may well be the European boxart, what other imagery has to appear on the cover probably differs from country to country.

Nah I shouldn't think so, this sort of thing has never appeared on UK boxarts before, so whilst it may well be the European boxart, what other imagery has to appear on the cover probably differs from country to country.

Hm, you might be right. Our boxarts normally have text in English and Spanish (Portuguese if we're lucky), so it really is the French and the Germans' misfortune alone.

Waste of time anyway, stupid parents will still buy it for their ten year old children.

I find it funny that they put a 100% uncut label on the box. Think they needed to fill some white space?

I find it funny that they put a 100% uncut label on the box. Think they needed to fill some white space?

I also think that "100% Cut" would be truer, as it was cut from a different game.

Mercs plus Rev demo footage, Rebecca confirmed.

Edited by Retro_Link

New details:

- no story or puzzles

- 30 unique missions

- 8 playable characters

- Known thus far: Chris,Claire, Jill, Krauser, Wesker, Hunk and Rebecca

- Earn bonus points by killing enemies quickly in succession

- Time bonuses scattered around

- Add 5 seconds to your time by stunning an enemy and then going in close for a melee kill

- Quick-time events if you screw up an up-close kill

It's the German box-art (if it's official anyway). You might have noticed the subtle "USK 18" mark.

Yes, games get cut in order to be released over here. Some games get labeled "uncut" in order to lure in unsuspecting teens (or grown up idiots). Sometimes they are actually uncut, other times there was never anything worth of cutting in the first place (e.g. with Goldeneye Wii or Conduit).

It's uncommon to put it on the box - usually games get just listed as "uncut" by online retailers - but it's essentially the same thing.

Edited by Burny

Alot ruins the boxarts as well like the MGS4 one.

mgs4platinumgermany.jpg

Any PS3 Platinum boxart is ruined. ;)

That subtle "Keine Jugendfreigabe" label is the older version of the German USK labels btw.. That huge ugly thing on the Mercenaries boxart is the current version. The conclusion: Any boxart will be ruined in Germany.

Edited by Burny

If you ask me, the award stickers in the MGS4 cover are way more intrusive than the German sticker.

Of course, I don't know if the award stickers were there in other countries as well, but the cover would've been ruined with or without the red sticker.

Frankly, any one of those stickers would ruin a box art. The USK one is the only one however, which is mandatory on any game.

It's funny, because the "100% uncut" sticker on the RE:M box art serves a similar purpose as the award stickers. They all try to lure in people who have no idea.

I played this at one of the early Nintendo 3DS preview events and it played like anus. Strange considering I enjoyed RE4 on GameCube immensely and this seemed to adopt the exact same control system. Maybe other games have spoiled me since, but it felt slow, unresponsive and inaccurate in every way.

I'll wait for reviews of this before tossing down two Darwins on it.