NEurope
Dante

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D

MTV Blog -

. We already knew that Capcom would be releasing a 3-D edition of "Street Fighter 4," but they added two new titles to their slate from the Mega Man and Resident Evil series. "Mega Man Legends 3" and "Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D" will introduce their respective universes to the portable system, and a few details are available about both.

"At long last, we have finally announced that we are making the next game in the Mega Man Legends series," Capcom global head of research and development Keiji Inafune said in a translated video statement posted to the Capcom-Unity blog. "I know many of you have been waiting a long time for this, but I can assure you that no one has looked forward to this project as much as I have."

The action RPG series never managed to gain the same traction that some of the other Mega Man titles did, and it's been dormant since "Mega Man Legends 2" came out ten years ago. It looks like Capcom was convinced to take a chance and bring it back for the 3DS, though, and the results should be fun to watch unfold.

As for "Mercenaries 3D" the RE title will collect "Resident Evil 4" and Resident Evil 5" Mercenaries missions together with new modes of gameplay, established characters and 3-D effects. Wi-Fi-enabled co-op will also be a part of the picture.

Any of these Capcom titles could be swell on the 3DS, but "MML3" has me really curious to see if it can get some new wind in its sails. It also looks like it's going to contain more new material than its 3DS Capcom siblings. Plus, Inafune sounds as though he has something to prove.

resident-evil-the-mercenaries-3d_1285785096.jpg

res23i1z.jpg

res3ud01.jpg

res42gsc.jpg

res6yu60.jpg

hmmm I wonder which one capcom will release first!

This has potential to be an incredible multiplayer experience.

New info about The Mercenaries.

- every single playable character from Resident Evil 4 and 5% Mercenaries modes are playable

- this includes Leon, Ada, Krauser, HUNK, Wesker, Chris, Jill, and Sheva

- eight Mercenaries stages from RE5 and the Four Mercenaries stages from RE4

- more hidden characters who have not previously been in Mercenaries

- new game modes

- new alternate costumes for the characters

- RE4 stages may have been made more like the RE5 Mercenaries stages: different time crystals and more enemies as well as some graphical face-lifts.

ONM scans:

2hf1itv.jpg

nbq9ex.jpg

Eurogamer has a few more details about the game.

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D, one of two Resident Evil games planned for release on Nintendo's 3DS, allows players to move and shoot.

The game is an updated port of the time attack-based Mercenaries mode from the previous three main Resident Evil games, the latest issue of Japanese magazine Famitsu (translated by 1UP) reveals.

Mercenaries 3D's controls are similar to those of the previous games, except you can now move and shoot, with the perspective switching to first-person whenever you draw your weapon. Apparently you can default to this perspective for the entire game.

"We needed to change the control system a great deal for the Nintendo 3DS," director Kazuhisa Inoue said. "The touch screen is a really great input device, so we definitely want to get the most out of that we can."

Characters featured include Chris Redfield, Claire Redfield, Hunk and Jack Krauser. They can be fully customised and gain abilities over time.

"You can give them skills and adjust their weaponry," Inoue said. "That lets you adjust them for your own play style while levelling up their skills.

"Each character has varying heal and defence abilities, and some skills let them unlock particular weapon features or defeat certain mid-bosses more easily. Taking advantage of these skills will make the game quicker to play and allow you to raise your characters' levels more easily."

The game is designed to be pure action, with story an afterthought. The entire package is 70 per cent complete, Capcom said.

Announced during Nintendo's 3DS showcase in September, The Mercenaries 3D combines the arcade levels from both Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil 5 and adds brand new modes.

It'll also utilise the 3DS Wi-Fi Connection for online co-op play "regardless of location".

"The Mercenaries mode was just bonus material up until now," fellow director Koushi Nakanishi said, "so a lot of gamers never even got around to playing them, I don't think.

"You had to finish the main games to unlock them, which made them tough to access in the first place, and a lot of the challenges were pretty sadistically balanced besides."

FINALLY!!!

As long as we get Hunk and Krauser, I'm happy. I do hope this is good. Mercenaries is great fun.

"We needed to change the control system a great deal for the Nintendo 3DS," director Kazuhisa Inoue said. "The touch screen is a really great input device, so we definitely want to get the most out of that we can."

Eh, this is a weird choice though.

I mean I never wanted moving and shooting in the games as it is for a start. I think the fact you have to find a place to stand and then aim is what makes RE4 and RE5 stand out compared to other third person shooters and puts an incredible focus on aiming well at key weak spots of enemies since you wont be able to escape. Taking that away just makes the games more generic.

The main issue here though is...why on a handheld of all things? Dual Analogue set up made sense for them to do this, but now they've relegated this title to getting complaints from people who moan about touch screen aiming being difficult. It's not going to be any easier than it was in Metroid Prime Hunters, etc. We haven't grown a third arm to hold the other side of the system with yet.

Seriously, with the standing control scheme, they could've had easy access to all buttons and virtually had the exact same controls as the console games. Now that they've brought in aiming with the touch screen, you wont be pressing any of the 4 face buttons unless you're putting the stylus down regularly, so the control set up can only logically be L or R to shoot, analogue stick to move and everything else handled on the touch screen.

I like touch screen controls in traditional games where it's a design focus from the initial concept, for example Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. I think it could be what holds this title back though from being considered unanimously great by all reviewers. If it's optional I guess it wont be a big issue, as long as there's an option for a traditional control scheme with an all button + analogue focus, just to keep those who want it happy.

Edited by James McGeachie

Well I'm glad the game is still massively technically impressive.

Here's hoping the framerate holds up with high enemy counts.

What kind of special?

The kind of special that'll hopefully make you forget all about Little King's Story :heh:

The kind of special that'll hopefully make you forget all about Little King's Story :heh:

It's ok, Paper Mario 3DS is coming out :heh:

That great-looking footage just makes me look forward more to Revelations, which seems to actually have some substance.

Sooo... nobody else thinks this is a bit of a joke of a game, something which is little more than a bonus extra mode in RE4 and 5 is being released as a full game on the 3DS? It better be a budget title, but when does that ever happen?

Visually it looks great, and I happen to love mercenaries mode - Hunk's neck-breaker, Krauser's bow, co-op challenges - but a complete game it ain't.

Sooo... nobody else thinks this is a bit of a joke of a game, something which is little more than a bonus extra mode in RE4 and 5 is being released as a full game on the 3DS? It better be a budget title, but when does that ever happen?

Visually it looks great, and I happen to love mercenaries mode - Hunk's neck-breaker, Krauser's bow, co-op challenges - but a complete game it ain't.

This game has a character customization system. You'll be able to build up your character like in an RPG. Set your character with skills, which will level up. You'll also be able to customize weapons.

But there's a lot more to it than just those modes thrown in. More levels, characters, customisation, online... Sounds pretty good to me!

Yeah, I did try a demo of this, and both Krauser and Hunk had many more moves at their disposal than in RE5. I regret not having tried Claire or Chris (which I assumed were like Ada and Leon).

Considering the amount of times I turn RE4 on just to play Mercenaries, I was already interested in this, but playing the demo sold me.