NEurope
Mokong

How I Met Your Mother

Another really good episode. I really do love the way the show uses narrative devices to actually make each episode a story as told by Ted rather than just some random events ala Friends. It always makes for the series' best jokes.

Everytime I watch an ep... I really don't get why this is so liked, apart from Barney, of course. Everything else is just so uninspired...

Fine season so far, plenty of excellent Barney moments. Sometimes I think they should rename the show "Awesome Things Uncle Barney Did... and How I Met Your Mother".

If this was any other sitcom, Barney would've gotten his own show by now.

But he better not. It works just fine with these characters.

@Oxigen_Waste: Be more specific, please?

It plays with narrative and timeline much more than your...Two and a Half Men.

But its just nice. It has that friendly group feeling of equal parts friendliness, sleeping with each other and insulting the hell out of each other.

Come on, you know I'm right. This is vanilla at it's most basic.

I disagree. I think it's got much stronger characterisation than you give it credit for and is, generally, very well written.

One thing I like about it is that the characters actually feel like a group of friends. Yes, it's a sitcom but people actually laugh at jokes and stuff- the back and fourth between characters is also realistic (relatively) and feels like proper banter and conversation.

But at the end of the day it is just a sit com. It's not trying to be anything more like Arrested Development but it's a well produced and fun comedy. Zing.

I'm not saying it's bad, far from it. However it has way too big a following considering it's actually not that great. I mean, with shows like Modern Family and 30 Rock lying around, why are this and Big Bang Theory getting all the love? Is it because it's more accessible or something?

What I'm saying Jonnas, is that while it's not bad at all, (Barney's excellent, mind), it's just not that awesome, in general. It's kind of like That 70's Show or My Name Is Earl... something I watch when it's on and like, but I wouldn't really consider to be a great comedy, it's just slighlty above average.

I'm not saying it's bad, far from it. However it has way too big a following considering it's actually not that great. I mean, with shows like Modern Family and 30 Rock lying around, why are this and Big Bang Theory getting all the love? Is it because it's more accessible or something?

What I'm saying Jonnas, is that while it's not bad at all, (Barney's excellent, mind), it's just not that awesome, in general. It's kind of like That 70's Show or My Name Is Earl... something I watch when it's on and like, but I wouldn't really consider to be a great comedy, it's just slighlty above average.

I have not checked out 30 Rock or Modern Family yet, though I should at some point.

Anyway, that's not really being specific, but I won't push the issue. It didn't grab your attention, that's fair.

I just felt that the "Vanilla" comment was a bit far off, considering HIMYM's narrative style differs so much from other sitcoms. Unless "Vanilla" doesn't mean "just like the others" like I thought.

I have not checked out 30 Rock or Modern Family yet, though I should at some point.

Anyway, that's not really being specific, but I won't push the issue. It didn't grab your attention, that's fair.

I just felt that the "Vanilla" comment was a bit far off, considering HIMYM's narrative style differs so much from other sitcoms. Unless "Vanilla" doesn't mean "just like the others" like I thought.

That's pretty much exactly what it means, though. And it is. It's pretty much a better written version of Friends.

It's not that it didn't grab my attention, I quite like it, I watched all the first 3 seasons, and I keep watching it whenever it's on, I just think (or better, know :laughing: ) that it's not as good as people make it out to be. It's like Community, there's stuff about it that's great, but 75% is variations on overplayed clichés. But a little worse than community.

I don't think anyone has ever said it was some genius sitcom that redefines the genre but rather it is an enjoyable one.

I don't think anyone has ever said it was some genius sitcom that redefines the genre but rather it is an enjoyable one.

True. But then again all I said was that it has too great a following, considering it's quality.

Well it's not like you can only like one! I love HIMYM but I still think 30 Rock is the best comedy of the decade, bar none.

Well it's not like you can only like one! I love HIMYM but I still think 30 Rock is the best comedy of the decade, bar none.

5110322275fc26b2906o.gif

Edited by Noodleman

Arrested Development... ugh. About half way through season 1, I loved it. That love continued into season 2, then it PLUMMETED. The end of s2 was bad, and all of s3 so far has been so, so terrible (all the British jokes... groan). It's no surprise to me that the show was dropped at that point. About 6 episodes into season 3 and I've barely even laughed, and probably won't bother finishing it.

30 Rock on the other hand has been very consistent in its humour.

HIMYM is still getting plenty of chuckles per episode :) I love that it's such easy watching, we're casually gliding through s1.

Comedy divides people as much as religion.

I think Arrested Development stayed consistently strong throughout, but as I write this I do kinda remember the plot going to hell in the last season. I was still laughing hard despite that, but thinking about it leaves a kind of bitter taste in my mouth.

30 Rock is a show I've always enjoyed, but never really embraced. Premise and characters are fantastic. Definitely one to spend some time with in future.

Community is a pretty great little show. Not many people have bothered with it, but they should. Better Off Ted was also incredible, but killed by poor ratings. I still need to see the rest of the episodes that got made, actually.

---

How I Met Your Mother related stuff:

I passed my brothers' room last night and upon hearing a familiar intro peeked inside. They were both laying there watching HIMYM. From now on they can do whatever they want to piss me off, they've earned my eternal respect.

---

Back to other comedies:

Lots of Scrubs talent involved in this gem of an animated series. You could waste your time plenty of worse ways than checking out Clone High:

Edited by Guy

How I Met Your Mother is a good show but I'm not feeling it as much as I used to, The way the tell the story is still good but I don't feel the actual comedy is as sharp as it was in the earlier seasons. :)

Enjoyable to watch though. :D I look forward to it each week.

True. But then again all I said was that it has too great a following, considering it's quality.

Can you really try and suggest that level of popularity should be related to quality (well, you can because its you but...a normal person? :p). Least its not as bad as Two and a Half Men/ The Big Bang Theory. Both bland and generic sitcoms that soar in the ratings. The amount Martin Sheen gets paid, particularly considering what a tosspot he is, is ludachristmas.

Community is a pretty great little show. Not many people have bothered with it, but they should. Better Off Ted was also incredible, but killed by poor ratings. I still need to see the rest of the episodes that got made, actually.

:heart:

Arrested Development... ugh. About half way through season 1, I loved it. That love continued into season 2, then it PLUMMETED. The end of s2 was bad, and all of s3 so far has been so, so terrible (all the British jokes... groan). It's no surprise to me that the show was dropped at that point. About 6 episodes into season 3 and I've barely even laughed, and probably won't bother finishing it.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

What?? :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

Are you serious? Jesus Christ, you got it all wrong. You loved it halfway through season 1? The first season is by far the worst, the team was still dealing with a lot of pressure from the channel to make the show more appealing to mass audiences, and many of the jokes were getting hindered by all the politically correct moral/family stuff. It only gets really really good like a third into Season 2, and from that point on... it's just absolutely perfect. Such an airtight script, brilliant. I love how you can clearly see they didn't give a damn about the plot, which only makes it even better when the jokes come through for like the 6th time. And more importantly, it gets better with every time you rewatch it. You're still picking up on things you hadn't noticed the fourth time around. It's just an unquestionable masterpiece of comedy, anyway you look at it. It's like Monty Python, Blackadder or Seinfeld, a milestone in comedy that is utterly and completely beyond questioning.

The only flaw one could argue it does have is the lack of improv, which is pretty much inexistant, the only example that springs to mind is the "hard boiled eggs". But with a script that well mapped out, it was inevitable.

That being said, most people I know don't like it either. What would you say is the best comedy show from the last decade, then? It better be Curb Your Enthusiasm or Scrubs, or else I'll kill you.

Edited by Oxigen_Waste
the smileys were screwed up

That being said, most people I know don't like it either. What would you say is the best comedy show from the last decade, then? It better be Curb Your Enthusiasm or Scrubs, or else I'll kill you.

I don't think I have a favourite comedy from the last decade... I would certainly have Scrubs in as a contender, I remember sitting in jayseven's Uni room rewatching season's 1-4 and it probably had more big laughs packed into an episode than anything else I've watched. Although I do feel that Scrubs in particular gets weaker after a few re-watches, and JD's stupid decisions make him almost impossible to like at times.

I would probably say it's between 30 Rock and Scrubs, but I can't actually remember everything I've watched in the last 10 years :/

Last decade was so much easier..... Spaced.

Better off Ted was brilliant, it's a shame it got cancelled.

Scrubs was also fantastic, as was spaced.

Anyone seen the latest episode of HIMYM yet? I thought it was great, really funny. Made me laugh more than most of the other episodes this season.

Better off Ted was brilliant, it's a shame it got cancelled.

What the hell are you talking about Willis?????? :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

Do you mean it's cancelled and this season is the last?

Only thing I can find on google is this article from July which says CBS want it to end in 2 years (8th Season).... is that what you mean?

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/how-i-met-your-mother-continue-cancelled-jason-segel/

8 season ending I could deal with, least it gives them time to give it a full on proper ending, but hope you don't mean this season that would suck.

Haven't seen the last nights ep yet... just got COD, so prolly wont get round to any TV watching till Friday