NEurope
Mokong

How I Met Your Mother

Seriously guys, I know there's a few fans on the forums, how is there not a thread yet on it?

Just been watching the 2nd ep of Season 6. Great stuff.

Ep 1 was a great season opener I thought, plus the nice cliffhanger ended of the Wedding scene being not Teds wedding but someone elses and it is where he meets the future "mother". The question is though, whose wedding is it? With Ted being the bestman nd Marshall obviously already married... could it actually be Barney? :eek:

Ep 2 was a great Barney episode. Barney is always awesome, and it was kind of a serious ep too which I like seeing Barney in a more vunerable light, yet still being totally awesome at the same time. Was the guy playing James father though, was that the same guy who played Will Smiths father in Fresh Prince?

And for the hell of, just because it is pure awesome, (true story), one of my fav Barney moments

Edited by Mokong

I've often though of actually watching this. Since i'm too lazy to check Wikipedia, somebody sum up what it's all about.

Fanks.

Oh damn...this is not what I thought this thread would be about :(

However, I do love this show. I will leave the explanation up to Ashley. He'd be furious if I took this opportunity away from him.

Man, I love this show. The flashback system works wonders, the writing is clever, characters have plenty of consistent (yet unimportant) quirks to their personalities, and I love the ever-present silliness factor.

Season 5 was probably the worst the show has had (its second half was painful), but Season 6 seems to be redeeming itself with two great episodes thus far.

Barney singing "Stand By Me" was the funniest thing I've seen in a long time :grin:

@JonSt: Basically, the show is a guy in the year 2030 describing stories of his youth to his children. Watch the first couple of episodes. If you like those, then it's a series you should follow.

I love that part of that episode too, Jonnas. So funny how he tries to sing in lots of different (black) ways.

I've watched this show since the start and I've not understood why it was never well-received here in the UK. It's only just starting to get shown properly now but still only on E4

I've watched this show since the start and I've not understood why it was never well-received here in the UK. It's only just starting to get shown properly now but still only on E4

The only main flaw I see with the show is that it's incredibly hard to translate the puns, mannerisms, expressions, etc. to other languages.

I don't know why it's unpopular in the UK, though. I always felt HIMYM was very...American, so to speak, maybe it has something to do with that.

Its unpopular because originally BBC2 picked it up and dumped it in some random timeslot.

And JonSt its simply the story of how Ted tells the story of how he met his wife/their mother...but in a long roundabout way. Some people get so het up its taking so long/haven't seen the mother yet but personally I'm just enjoying the ride while it lasts. Worth watching a few episodes, although the first few themselves aren't great.

I assumed the wedding was Rachel Bilson's. Yes, Ted may not seem like the ideal candidate for best man but they could become closer and hell, this is Hollywood whereby strange things like that happen. I think they tried to mislead people into thinking its Robin/Barney by not showing them.

Personally I can't wait for the return of R.S. later in the season.

Love this show. Shame I live in Germany so I'm waaaayyy behind. Especially since I only watch this show in English and don't like watching series and movies online.

As Ashley said: The jokes and puns aren't easy to translate.

The last Season I watched is the 4th. Have to wait for the DVD release of the fifth.

Love this show. Shame I live in Germany so I'm waaaayyy behind. Especially since I only watch this show in English and don't like watching series and movies online.

As Ashley said: The jokes and puns aren't easy to translate.

The last Season I watched is the 4th. Have to wait for the DVD release of the fifth.

Hey! :angry:

Just seen the 3rd ep for season 6.

Was good but a bit down on the quality of last week I thought.

The whole thing with Robin/Lily/Marshall and delete numbers from your phone I didn't get. I'd have no issue deleting something if I didnt need it.

The Barney stuff was good but certainly not one of his best Barney moments.

It's weird that this thread should pop up, for the last few months I'd kept randomly catching this on E4 and started to really enjoy it so just last week I got the first series on DVD and I love it so far! I'm about half way through the first series though, so I've got some catching up to do before I can properly contribute to this thread :P

... and Barney is my hero.

Is it worth starting from the beginning or is there a good "jump-in" point?

Was good but a bit down on the quality of last week I thought.

The whole thing with Robin/Lily/Marshall and delete numbers from your phone I didn't get. I'd have no issue deleting something if I didnt need it.

I have a terrible time, getting rid of old stuff, insignificant as it may be. I could relate.

Though I too think the episode wasn't as good as the first two. Though funky Marshall was amusing.

The 3rd season may qualify, I suppose, but then you'd be missing on two great seasons (especially the 2nd, my favourite), not to mention there are several callbacks to earlier episodes, especially "The Slap Bet", a long-running gag.

HIMYM actually has a surprisingly high amount of continuity for a sit com of its kind. I'd say you may as well watch it all as it is very good right from the start and you'd miss some great jokes.

I'd say it's possible to jump in at alomost any point and still enjoy it.

I have from the last few eps of season 2 onwards at home on my laptop, none of season 1.

I have a cousin who when he comes visit we watch some eps, he's never seen any of season 1 but loves the show. I think only season 5 has he seen the eps n order, the rest i jumped around different eps that were my favs, but he still got it (with me explaining things that refer to eps he hasn't seen yet).

However, I would say if you are able to view it from the very begining you will enjoy it even more.

It's a bit like Friends in that the episodes don't really follow on from each other unless one of them is in a relationship - at least in the later seasons anyway. As a fan I'd say definitely watch it from the start. Seasons 1 & 2 introduces a lot of the running gags and gives you the whole Ted and Robyn story.

I am about half way through season one and the show overall is somewhat mediocre so far, and yet is saved by interesting characters and some truly hilarious and inspired moments. I just got to the episode with Barney's video-tape. Oh lawd.

I've heard it gets better, which is why I am continuing.

I am about half way through season one and the show overall is somewhat mediocre so far, and yet is saved by interesting characters and some truly hilarious and inspired moments. I just got to the episode with Barney's video-tape. Oh lawd.

I've heard it gets better, which is why I am continuing.

That's what I thought of it as well at first. I put it on one day because I was bored, probably hungover and wanted something light hearted to watch. It was very watchable but then I got more and more into it as the season went on.

Just finished viewing ep 4 of season 6.

Very good ep, much better than last weeks. Started brilliant too with a great "Barney Moment" that literally had me lol'ing, haha.

Also, tomorrow 13th Oct has been declared "International Suit Up Day" in honor of course of the Legen....wait for it.... DARY, Barney Stinson

And of course I couldn't pass up the chance to mark the day with a Youtube video

CBS have ordered two more scripts for the show, meaning it could have 24 episodes this season if agreed.

Interview with the cast about the newest episode: http://au.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b204935_exclusive_himym_video_jason_segel_hot.html

Sounds good... though I just got a horrible feeling of... "what if they don't plan to renew for season 7 and those two new eps are to give it an ending :("

Fine season so far, plenty of excellent Barney moments. Sometimes I think they should rename the show "Awesome Things Uncle Barney Did... and How I Met Your Mother".