N-Europe

Frasier

Ashley

September 11th 1997 - Frasier Crane Day.

As such it seems apt to discuss this amazing sitcom. One of my favourites that I can never grow tired of seeing.

So many great moments so I'll just choose one (well, 1/3 of an episode):

Anyone else a fan of the neurotic sex-starved doctor?

Not one of my all time favourite shows, but it is always an enjoyable watch as it's something a bit different. Unfortunately I only sometimes got to watch it on Channel 4 in the morning if I woke up early enough & didn't have college to go to that day. Over the summer I didn't see it on much either because of Big Brother? :(

Frasier is one of the shows that will still be remembered in another 20 years.

Frasier is basically the ideal of everything I wish to be. My absolute favourite episode is the one where Frasier gets "outed" after being seen in a gay bar and finds himself the object of the affections of a top opera socialite, played with brilliant panache and flirty enthusiasm by a Patrick Stewart who is clearly having tons of fun. Brilliance from beginning to end.

Ah yes the classic "not everyone is clued in" scenario. Frasier always did that perfectly. For example this episode whereby Daphne's former fiance visits but to let him down easily Daphne pretends she's married to Niles and Frasier is staying there while separated from his wife Marris, played by Roz. Meanwhile Martin pretends to be an astronaut as his sons said he didn't have the intelligence to keep up.

I just love toward the end. 4:14 onwards. Grammar's reaction to "my brother is impotent" is spot on. And then later:

Daphne: How am I supposed to get rid of this bloody baby?

*realises Clive has re-entered*

Frasier: Clive, coffee?

Clive: No, no. I really must get going.

[...]

Daphne: We're not the awful people you think we are!

Frasier: No, the truth is we've been lying to you all night!

Daphne: Yes!

And again, everyone wanting sex but with different people:

Guy: You're not the Crane I want.

Frasier: You're not even the sex I want!

Brilliant show, has to be my favourite sitcom ever. I'm starting to watch cheers, just for him!

This might be a bit weird but Frasier has become a bit like my bed time story haha. Whenever I go to bed, I put in one of the DVDs and watch it until I go to sleep. Ahh

Ha I do that too. Many a time I've drifted off to be woken up by the sound of the theme tune from the next episode starting.

Oh and a while ago Kelsey Grammar replied to my tweet ^_^ Filled me with fannish glee.

Edited by Ashley

Oh and a while ago Kelsey Grammar replied to my tweet ^_^ Filled me with fannish glee.

More accurately, I expect you were filled to the brim with girlish glee. :)

Frasier has got to be one of my favourite shows of all time. I have a book containing the scripts of some of the episodes and it cracks me up just reading them.

• 6 months later...

Just thought I'd sneakily resurrect this thread, since I just, on a whim have started watching the show, and its incredible. Watched the entire first season in less than a week, and I'm a little into season two at the moment. So many amazing scenarios contrived from a couple of settings. Just watched the episode where Frasier unwittingly asks his new station manager out on a date, with the intended ulterior motive of finding one for Daphne. The show is ultimately so great for me because all the characters are loveable, without being shallow.

Am I pretty much tip of the iceberg, or does the series go downhill at some point? And in following with this, what are your favourite seasons?

Frasier (the show) does do those "some/all people are clueless as to what's actually going on" scenarios quite a well. Fair few of them.

I think there's an overall agreement that from around season 7 onwards it kind of drops. I still find them enjoyable but I suppose with any show. Doing 11 seasons of top quality is difficult but the last season did bring back some original writers.

Speaking of the finale still makes me all upset.

I'm generally not a fan of American sitcoms (with the noted exception of Scrubs, which I do think is quite fantastic, or was, in its prime) so its credit to the fact that Frasier has been pretty exceptional so far.

Is Cheers worth a go then? My dad used to love it, which of course, made me avoid it instinctually.

I'm generally not a fan of American sitcoms (with the noted exception of Scrubs, which I do think is quite fantastic, or was, in its prime) so its credit to the fact that Frasier has been pretty exceptional so far.

Is Cheers worth a go then? My dad used to love it, which of course, made me avoid it instinctually.

In my opinion cheers has dated dramatically. It's still a good show but I feel Frasier is more timeless.