N-Europe

Shooting stars

Eenuh

Soooo, it's that time of the year again where Earth passes through a meteor cloud, the Perseids. So I figured I would let all of you stargazing-lovers know about this!

What this means is that if you were to look at the sky at night now, you would be likely to see a shooting star at some point. The peak is expected in the morning of August 13, with tens of shooting stars per hour, though of course in the next two nights you can see some already too!

Your best bet is to sit in a dark area, away from all the lights (works best if you don't live in a city) where you can see the stars. It's easiest to lay down on the floor or in a chair, and then just stare at one spot for a while (give it at least 15 minutes). Don't move your head around too much or you won't see any, or you will mistake normal stars for shooting ones. =P

So, hope you have lots of fun watching them! I know I'll give it a try tonight, see if I can spot any. =)

perseids97_rickjoe.jpg

More information about the Perseids meteor shower:

Georgie Dawes! What are the scores?!

It's Angelos these days, not as fun as George.

And i initially thought this was about the TV show (of same name), how wrong was i.

If the sky is clear over Wales (at the moment, it is not) i shall investigate outside and see if i can spot a few of them. I did see a few last year, only because the sky was clear. They are lovely and great to look at.

Please stop ruining my thread with talk about some crappy show I know nothing about. =(

You can go make your own thread!

It's pretty awful anyway.

I knew nothing about this so thanks for the heads up. I'm literally 30 seconds walk from the common, so I have the perfect opportunity to catch a glimpse of the phenomenon. Might get some mates together, and make a night/morning of it.

Awesome. I'll have to head out to the countryside a bit away from the street lights. Remember checking out a meteor shower in Birmingham a couple of years back, but the best I could come up with was to pretend that some airplanes were like shooting stars. It wasn't nearly as good, as they were nothing like shooting stars.

Too much light pollution for me.

What is the best direction to look?

*sniggers*

And before you say it, don't say "Up". :p

Awww. :(

I'm not going to see much where I am. At least, I don't think I will. Just had a look outside and couldn't make out anything, so might try again when I get my glasses from the car.

It's pretty awful anyway.

I knew nothing about this so thanks for the heads up. I'm literally 30 seconds walk from the common, so I have the perfect opportunity to catch a glimpse of the phenomenon. Might get some mates together, and make a night/morning of it.

You're welcome! Was hoping there'd at least be one person who would like to hear about this heh.

Too much light pollution for me.

What is the best direction to look? And before you say it, don't say "Up". :p

The second video I posted seems to suggest to look North-East. Though you can probably see them in more than one spot.

Haven't been able to go out yet myself as it's been raining tonight. I hope it clears up tomorrow. =(

My family are all outside gazing up at the sky oohing and aahing. All I need to do is lock the back door and squatters rights will be mine... in a few years.

Actually, I've never seen a shooting star before. I'll go risk pneumonia and check it out. Cheers for the heads up! None of you had better come squat in my house when I'm out there.

I had a little peak outside. It's partially clear, partially cloudy. This is going on for the month, right? So, I'm hopeful of seeing my first shooting star. :D

Today is the peak though. You'll have a bigger chance to see them tonight than on any other night.

Remember how we tried to spot them last year but didn't really see any? Well maybe I saw some but you didn't heh.

Today is the peak though. You'll have a bigger chance to see them tonight than on any other night.

Remember how we tried to spot them last year but didn't really see any? Well maybe I saw some but you didn't heh.

I'll pay much more attention this time!

Also, outside is cold. And, I can't be bothered to get dressed and gaze at the stars. Alooone.