N-Europe

Goodbye Manga

Dante

This kind of enforcement usually works... right?

It worked for music, movies, software, games and many other copyright based industries. It should work even better with such mainstream products such as manga that doesn't even offer alternatives as good as the previously mentioned industries.

Good Job industry! This will increase sales tenfold!

They can't even keep The Pirate Bay shut down and it's one of the most widely known torrent trackers. In fact, I read that a Swedish ISP will host TBP now and be protected by Swedish Parliament. I don't see Manga really disappearing. Hell, it's not like Anime has become scare online either.

I have a pretty extensive manga collection on the shelf to my left (200 volumes or so now), this is going to bite them so hard on the ass I can't even imagine..

Unless they come up with some digital distribution which is no where near as expensive as the average RRP for a volume (Which is £6.99), then they still aren't going to see an increase in sales. Square Enix have started an online service giving people free access to the first chapters of many of it's Gangan titles, not sure whether they will continue to sell chapters on the medium though..

I guess they just want a stab at the online manga giants, which I applaud to be honest, not only do these fuckers make money from advertisement revenue for hosting illegal content which is a very niche market, they even slap the faces of those who translated it, which are just die hard fans within a small community picking up the language or translating as a hobby, considering how far behind our releases are, it's a popular hobby to be able to understand and inform people of the progress the plot is making.

Here's to hoping now the online manga giants have gone, the idiots who used it start buying it. (although I'l still be sticking to communities that remove chapters more than 3 weeks old)

But the main problem is, how are you going to convince people who are so adjusted to reading it for free, to get up to date with a series such as Naruto. All the volumes could cost £200 and over as it stands..

Edited by Debug Mode

The stuff that would otherwise go untranslated will probably slip through the net a little better, as it means it's not licensed by Viz or any other major US manga publisher.

The cost is the real issue here. Each Naruto volume (10 chapters) costs about £4-5 and there's 50ish volumes now, so the > £200 Debug mentioned is no exaggeration.

As a comparison, in Japan Weekly Shonen Jump costs about ¥250 (about £1.85), cheaper if subscribed, and gets you a new chapter of 22 different manga every week. So for about 1/3 of the cost you get more than double the manga content.

It's the same argument as was had with CDs/music piracy.