NEurope
Murr

Dredd (2012)

Then I shall do it! Now I just need to think up a good name for it... (Writing short copy is both awesome and infuriating. I came up with a brilliant name for the free Live weekend on Xbox but it wouldn't translate across the other European languages. Frustrating.)

Adverts that blow is already taken :blank:

Got the dispatch email for this yesterday, should be arriving tomorrow. Sweet.

My copy has shipped but I hear something has been fucked up on Blu Ray release, either aspect ratio or the 3D. Not sure if true.

Really hope it's not true but would not be surprised at this point. Maybe it's just an American issue.

Apparently, the US one doesn't work in some Sony Blu-Ray players, including the PS3.

Just finished watching it. It was way more awesome than I had thought it would be. It was perfect for a day like today. Glad I watched it, might actually do it again if someone asks me to.

bth_tumblr_lqgbk7I3Y01qbc7xc.gif
But we don't have US PS3's!?

Haven't seen this film yet, think I'm gonna get it though, Blu-Ray most probably as it seems like it deserves to look shiny.

I saw the filme today... It's quite cool, but they could've been a little more carefull and made it less obviously similiar to The Raid. Oo

It was in production before The Raid...so, that would have been hard. It's just an unfortunate coincidence that both films are similar.

Apparently there were/are talks to take this the TV series route after not grossing enough for a sequel. Not sure how that would look, tbh. Might be cool.

My copy from Amazon arrived yesterday but with a big fucking crack in the disc. They have sent me a another copy.

Watched this last night with the missus. Only 2D sadly, but you can really tell where they were bragging the 3D moments.

Some bits even looked low quality which seemed a bit annoying considering the overall presentation wasn't that bad.

I saw the filme today... It's quite cool, but they could've been a little more carefull and made it less obviously similiar to The Raid. Oo

Why does every twat jump on the raid bandwagon without doing any research?

There is a search engine called google perhaps you could try it in future.

keep_calm___judge_dredd_version_by_marcobrunez-d4r563u.jpg

DREDD has been in production since 2008.

DREDD screenplay was written around 2009/10. This screenplay found its way on-line sometime in 2010.

DREDD started shooting in October/November of 2010, it wrapped in March 2011 and went into post-production.

The Raid started shooting March/April 2011.

Lets hear no more about this Dredd was a rip off of The Raid bullshit please.

Why does every twat jump on the raid bandwagon without doing any research?

There is a search engine called google perhaps you could try it in future.

Lets hear no more about this Dredd was a rip off of The Raid bullshit please.

Alright, alright, I apologize!!! It's just way too similar to The Raid and since The Raid got released first and is a critically acclaimed masterpiece, you kind of end up connecting the dots by yourself, and it is a fair assumption, considering how Hollywood usually works.

Fuck... that's bad timing, then... Dredd is quite a good action movie, and it is unfortunate that it had to come out only 6 months after The Raid. Dredd ended up being somewhat underwhelming because of that, especially considering that even though the movie is quite cool, it's no match for The Raid. The production team must hate The Raid, lololol.

Ok, you guys have got me convinced. Gotta buy this on DVD at some point...

So is the non 3D version of the Blu-ray a bit dodgy quality in places? If so I might just get the DVD, unless that's a bit dodgy in places too? In which case I'd go back to the Blu-ray! :p

Well except, Dredd is better than The Raid. :)

Let's not go there. One is a milestone and a masterclass on how to make a good action movie that's being hailed around the globe as one of the best action films in ages. The other's a pretty decent but ultimately irrelevant blockbuster.

Now, I "get" that you especially might not like independent films or understand why The Raid's such an important achievement, as you obviously are "part of the problem", since you enjoy sterilized action movies like The Avengers, but there's no contest when it comes to Dredd vs The Raid, as what makes Dredd a decent movie is precisely that it attempts and somewhat succeeds to emulate that raw and gritty appeal that independent action films have and which The Raid so fully embodies.

Personally, I didn't really preffer either of them, but The Raid is the superior product, no doubt.

One is a milestone and a masterclass on how to make a good action movie that's being hailed around the globe as one of the best action films in ages.

I'm presuming that one is Judge Dredd, as I've heard nothing but praise about it, unlike The Raid where I've heard nothing but...well, I've heard nothing about it until this thread.

Can we stop calling this film Judge Dredd? That would be the pile of steaming turd Stallone put his name to in the 90s.

Well except, Dredd is better than The Raid. :)

Too fucking right.

God the Raid was such a disapointment.

HighFive.jpeg

My second copy arrived today. I watched it in 3D and damn those slo mo scene are awesome.

I'm presuming that one is Judge Dredd, as I've heard nothing but praise about it, unlike The Raid where I've heard nothing but...well, I've heard nothing about it until this thread.

ibiuMUjjEi0m68.gif

Ah... ignorant and proud of it! That's when you know you willingly live in a misinformed bubble of mass media.

Considering the films are only 1000 votes apart in IMDb, I'd reckon they're pretty close to each other when it comes to public awareness, meaning you obviously just don't give a shit about the medium and simply consume whatever is thrown at you.

It fucking annoys me to the core, it really does. In this case it doesn't as it was unintentional, but this production line mentality makes me so fucking angry at people... The most recent example would be Homeland, I suppose... Israel makes an amazing show that is fresh, surprising and relevant: nobody gives a shit. The US remakes it, completely neutering and euphemizing it in the proccess and voilá: it's a hit all over the world. This ridiculous obsession with americanized culture is infuriating, especially as the talents of so many are ignored for the benefit of glorifying the people who ripped off their ideas and get to bask in the glory of someone else's achievements, only because the public doesn't care and refuses to be challenged.

Yay, diatribes...

Edit: The other side of the fence manages to be even more annoying, though... the people who refuse to watch Hollywood movies come accross as even more retarded and "culturally racist" than the ones who don't care for the rest of the world's output.

Edited by Oxigen_Waste