NEurope
Murr

Dredd (2012)

With the Judge Dredd movie set to shoot in the not-too-distant future, rumours are circulating that Karl Urban has been offered the title role.

According to Bleeding Cool, the New Zealand-born actor is the current front-runner, with talk of an official announcement at Comic-Con.

judge-dredd-new-version-20100722082153738.jpg

Urban is best known for his work as McCoy in Star Trek and Eomer in Lord of the Rings, and certainly has the chin to play the Judge - who will apparently wear his helmet throughout this take on the story (unlike the notorious Sylvester Stallone version).

Pete Travis is still scheduled to direct, from a script by Sunshine scribe Alex Garland, and rest assured our team on the ground at the Con will update if the rumour turns official.

Source - IGN.com

Personally can't see him in the role at all!

Didn't realise they were doing a new Judge Dredd.

Sweet. He rocks.

...Oh, wait. I thought he was being cast as Judge Death.

That picture looks like Kim Jong-Il dressed as Dredd.

He hasn't got the mouth or chin for this.
Surely better than the alternative?...

drezk.jpg

Edited by Retro_Link

They both look like ReZ, and they'd both make wank Dredd's.

"You're under arrest, I am the - PAY-NUS"

Oh dear as long as it's better than the Stallone one in the late 90's...

I've never read any 2000AD. Somedays I think I should. But it's been going for so long I assume it'd be an interminable read. I like the concept/fact it exists, however.

I saw the 90's films years ago. Least said, soonest mended.

Did they forget they made a completely awesome Judge Dredd movie already?

While taking exclusively to MTV at SDCC, Urban said things are "Lookin good" for him putting ol Grouchy's helmet on in a Judge Dredd reboot...

When MTV asked him about the rumor first reported by Bleeding Cool, Urban responded..

"Yeah, that's correct, that's a big rumor going on."

"I can't say too much at this point but it's lookin' good."

Apparently Urban has been a long time fan of the character, adding that he had been reading since he was a teenager..

"[He is a] phenomenal iconic comic book character, so it's a world I know and it would be a privilege and a pleasure to be able to bring that to life,"

Urban also spoke to Film School Rejects about it..

Yeah, I can’t say too much about it, but I have been offered the role and we’ve been having discussions. We’re working on it.â€

Quickly after that, I asked if Urban saw some of the excellent concept art they’ve been working on, “Yeah, it’s phenomenal. I’ve been reading Dredd in one form or another for twenty-five years.â€

Lastly, when I asked about what comics they’re drawing from he couldn’t say specifically, but what he did end on telling me was, “I am the law.â€

judge_dredd_2012_concept_art.jpg

Source - Comicbookmovie.com

bit of news...

Producer Andrew Macdonald has confirmed that Star Trek actor Karl Urban will play the title role in the new Judge Dredd movie.

In a chat with Empire Online, Macdonald said, "Our idea is to make a very hard, R-rated, gritty, realistic movie of Dredd in Megacity, so we've got to get the tone right. He's not going to take off his helmet. His bike is going to feel real. He's going to hit people and it's going to feel real."

The producer also said, "We'll be shooting in Johannesburg, it's being directed by Pete Travis, we're shooting with the people who did District 9 – and if we get it right, Alex [Garland, the screenwriter] has a couple of ideas for other stories as well. It's not based on any one comic, and John Wagner is involved in every decision."

Travis' credits include Vantage Point, Endgame and Omagh.

Source - IGN.com

I heard it's gonna be 3D aswell, I'm happy about this, Judge Dredd deserves a second chance!

Really, was the first Judge Dredd that bad, I love watching it.

P.S. I don't care about the comics.

Edited by James

Really, was the first Judge Dredd that bad, I love watching it.

P.S. I don't care about the comics.

I love watching it too, but not because it's good!