N-Europe

Is the human race ready for war without death?

david.dakota

The BBC is reporting that troops in Afghanistan have been issued a new weapon - a heat ray gun.

The catchilly named Active Denial System (ADS) is designed to minimise death in warzones by administering targets with a non-lethal, but "intollerable heat sensation" to the depth of no more than the equivelent of three sheets of paper in humun skin. The beam will travel up to 500 meters.

_42498607_heat_raygun_2_416.gif

The devise has been tested over 11,000 times on 700 seperate people.

However, reports (via Engadget are that the weapon has been recalled to the US without being used operationally used.

Whats war without death, eh?

So they use microwaves? I wonder if this will cause skin cancer. I guess the next thing we will see are clothes that shield against these rays - oh Faraday, you and your cage.

It doesn't seem like a peaceful invention to me. Sounds more like: we can shoot the enemy without them shooting back.

Should be convenient to cook food on the battlefield in any case :D

Should be convenient to cook food on the battlefield in any case :D

And then we find out, the food causes cancer :heh:

Anyway, I'm more worried about the psychological damage. Unbearable pain doesn't sound like it helps matters.

I'm still waiting for proper taser guns.

War has changed. It's no longer about nations, ideologies or ethnicity. It's an endless series of proxy battles fought by mercenaries and machines. War, and its consumption of life has become a well oiled machine.

War has changed. ID tag soldiers carry ID tag weapons, use ID tag gear. Nano machines inside their bodies enhance and regulate their abilities. Genetic control, information control, emotion control, battlefield control. Everything's monitored, and kept under control.

War has changed. The age of deterence has become the age of control. The all new means of the burning catastrophy in weapons of mass destruction, and he who controls the battlefield controls history.

War has changed. When the battlefield is under total control, war becomes routine. It needed to be posted.

It makes so much sense, why bother killing people when you can just force them to run away or surrender?

Exactly, as far as I know, war is mostly a territorial conflict (as in, we want that thing over there).

Not a competition to see who can accomplish the biggest killing streak.

It looks like it would be more usefully in protests. I'm assuming you can turn it up enough that your enemies actually, you know, fall down and can't shoot you anymore. I wonder how well it'll work on insurgents who are drugged up though, some of them are drugged to the point that they can't really feel pain, so from the sound of things, this would be useless against them.

I advise you to read a book called "House to House". Its even available on iBooks, so you could conveniently buy it with that iPod you were complaining about a while back. You'll probably learn a lot from it.

Short answer: not all drugs do that.

Interesting idea. As long as this has no side-effects it could come in handy.

Imagine surrounding an entire town with these heat ray guns until they surrendered! However, I think that officers and other people in war would see death as much more inexpensive and just easier than this and so I'm not sure if this will catch on.

I advise you to read a book called "House to House". Its even available on iBooks, so you could conveniently buy it with that iPod you were complaining about a while back. You'll probably learn a lot from it.

Short answer: not all drugs do that.

But surely opium is the only drug substance the Taliban have... Does that have your mentioned effect

You do realize that its not just the Taliban that is being fought right now. The drug use I'm talking about, from what I understand is actually more common in Iraq (which is what the book I suggested is about). The drugs they use are either smuggled in, or are stollen from foreign soldiers. For instance, in Fallujah (Iraq), the American soldiers and marines who took the city found US Military Morphine supplies in some of the houses. Morphine can hinder physical performance, but it did give the insurgents the desired effects, and they still were able to fight.

plenty of non-lethal weapons (including this ADS). Article made two years ago.

The idea is that there are potential side-effects, but the target won't have to endure prolongued exposure because it'll hurt too much to just stand there.

Also, Bizarre ran a feature on non-lethal weapons as a form of riot-control what must've been 3 or 4 years ago. Included was a weapon that was dubbed something like the 'gay ray' -- a chemical that triggered large feelings of brotherly love, or something. I'll dig around for the issue tomorrow/thursday.

You do realize that its not just the Taliban that is being fought right now. The drug use I'm talking about, from what I understand is actually more common in Iraq (which is what the book I suggested is about). The drugs they use are either smuggled in, or are stollen from foreign soldiers. For instance, in Fallujah (Iraq), the American soldiers and marines who took the city found US Military Morphine supplies in some of the houses. Morphine can hinder physical performance, but it did give the insurgents the desired effects, and they still were able to fight.

Oh I see, however the hindering of physical performance support my original point slightly

Included was a weapon that was dubbed something like the 'gay ray' -- a chemical that triggered large feelings of brotherly love, or something. I'll dig around for the issue tomorrow/thursday.

Ironically, the most fearsome army in the classical world was one which all the soldiers were lovers.