N-Europe

Do you use Mr Sheen?

EEVILMURRAY

... or something similar?

Because my powers of dusting don't seem to that effective. I slam on the polish and rag it up, and afterwards I can even see more dust fighting for shelf space. It's like it's a purpose-made dust magnet.

I've tried all the combinations, spraying on the shelf directly and spraying directly on the cloth. Even Sainsbury's own can't combat it.

Do you mean you're using polish to dust things? If so I can tell you where you're going wrong, and you should just use a slightly damp cloth or piece of paper towel to hoover up the dust instead; ironically a hoover itself won't do much against fine surface dust.

Stop dusting. Then you never notice when the dust is dusty.

Sound advice, I'll ponder it over.

:blank:

Well, I find the Swiffer Duster to be quite effective in removing layers of dust. You need to change the duster part regularly, though.

Is that a JML thing? I see so many adverts for their stuff and never bought anything. You say you have to change it regulary... How regulary? And how many plowings of shelves can you get in that time?

Do you mean you're using polish to dust things? If so I can tell you where you're going wrong, and you should just use a slightly damp cloth or piece of paper towel to hoover up the dust instead; ironically a hoover itself won't do much against fine surface dust.

So what you're saying is they're lying, Mr. Sheen [et al] doesn't shine umpteen things clean?

The bastards.

I'm a true capitalist, so I normally replace things with newer shinier stuff before it has chance to gather dust.

I would myself. But there's so much crap on my shelves it would take an eternity to clear them, I have 13 of them around my room. I would show you, but I can't.

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

Is that a JML thing? I see so many adverts for their stuff and never bought anything. You say you have to change it regulary... How regulary? And how many plowings of shelves can you get in that time?

Yeah, it does have a Shopping Channel feel to it, but it's certainly effective. I don't have specific numbers, but you can do a pretty decent amount of swipes with one single duster, depending on the thickness of the dust layer.

Not even with a brushy bit?

Not even with a brushy bit?

The problem there is that you'll end up with a brush clogged with dust. Plus a hoover head isn't as manoeuvrable as a piece of cloth. Using a hoover to start with to save on wipes is a good idea, though.

The easiest/most economical dusting aid is a slightly damp piece of kitchen towel; naturally you need a roll of a fair quality so it doesn't fall apart on you. It'll pick up dust just as well as most dedicated wipes and you can simply bin it afterwards rather than having to beat the dust out of it as you would a non-disposable alternative.

The problem there is that you'll end up with a brush clogged with dust. Plus a hoover head isn't as manoeuvrable as a piece of cloth. Using a hoover to start with to save on wipes is a good idea, though.

The easiest/most economical dusting aid is a slightly damp piece of kitchen towel; naturally you need a roll of a fair quality so it doesn't fall apart on you. It'll pick up dust just as well as most dedicated wipes and you can simply bin it afterwards rather than having to beat the dust out of it as you would a non-disposable alternative.

Ahh, but then you take it off and hoover it too so it isn't quite as dusty anymore!