N-Europe

Mario Kart 7

Retro_Link

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if there'll be retro tracks in this game? I hope there is, although if so, I'd like to see the SNES tracks revamped a lot better (e.g. take all the blocks around the track out, and replace them with fences, walls, etc. add other scenery in, stretch out the tracks so they're longer and thinner, etc.).

I'd love to see Royal Raceway the most personally. Such an amazing level! :)

i'd rather they have 32 all new tracks, personally.

Yeah, maybe, but I do like the retro tracks, just for the nostalgia and everything, and I think it's nice that many younger Mario Kart players have now played levels like Banshee Broadwalk and N64 Bowser Castle.

Plus, in Mario Kart Wii, I actually found that some of the retro levels were more aesthetically pleasing than the newer levels. Levels like Toad Factory, Wario Gold Mine and Grumble Volcano were just too chaotic, and didn't have nice colour schemes, whilst levels like Mario Raceway and Jungle Parkway had me wishing I could actually be IN the game. Obviously, there's no reasons why new levels couldn't look so nice this time around.

i'd rather they have 32 all new tracks, personally.

Not gonna happen though in fairness. They seem to have their hearts set on making 16 all-new tracks for each game. I'd love to see what another developer would do with mario kart to be honest because as good as they are they NEVER hit their top potential for me.

The ds version is probably my favourite one.

Although it's early days, the screens do suggest a somewhat-toned down nature - ever since the Gamecube I always had the impression that Mario Kart (and other Mario games for example) were becoming a little too wacky. Take Mario Kart 64, as RedShell says, you need to be a good driver/racer and usually you'll succeed through the clever use of items, not like MK Wii (which I do love), where if you're lucky enough to survive the gauntlet of Bullet Bills, lightning bolts, blue shells and that fucking annoying cloud, you'll still probably lose because someone is using a far superior vehicle and the wacky track will screw you over one way or another anyway! It's kinda like Mario Tennis 64, there was a items mode (which sucked), but otherwise it was a solid, fun-take on the genre that required good gameplay skills, and a decent knowledge of the characters and their skill. It's hard to describe but what I mean is something along the lines of, it was still tennis, despite Mario being in it, unlike some of the later games where it's Mario with only a vague hint of the activity involved.

It'd be nice if they gave it the nostalgic look of traditional Mario (boo, I'm a GC hater I know) - Double Dash just looked sickeningly bizarre (and even MK Wii in some parts) and had the most weird looking tracks. Bring back Choco Mountain in a new form for us Super Mario World addicts rather than something as ridiculous as DK's Snowboard Cross or Toad's Factory, which despite how fun they are, have virtually nothing to do with Mario.

*Ow my freakin' ears!* :shakehead

Mario Kart + Rock music = No.

Come on Nintendo, the music in every MK so far has been absolutely perfect. Don't mess with the formula now. :nono:

Looks spot-on though.

The blooper ink effect must be amazing in 3D. :laughing:

Eh that was mario kart music and loud driving noises
Ignore the driving noises, just listen to the music.

It's a rock version of this:

Hopefully it's just temp stuff for E3 :hmm:, because unless we're talking about a Bowser Castle track, that style of music really doesn't fit Mario Kart at all.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see. Or rather, wait and hear. :heh:

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that maybe tracks should be more related to the Mario series, rather than random buildings (the way it's going, in the next game, we'll race around an airport and a prison).

It'd be nice to see a race in some iconic Mario place, like Bob-Omb Battlefield. I could really imagine that level. Driving up the bridge, past the chain chomp, driving round and up the mountain, dodging the rolling boulders, getting to the top, and hopping in a cannon (like DK Mountain), back to the start.

Also, I think after the success of the soundtrack of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, we should probably brace ourselves for music of all types of genres in upcoming Nintendo games.

I agree that maybe tracks should be more related to the Mario series, rather than random buildings (the way it's going, in the next game, we'll race around an airport and a prison).

It'd be nice to see a race in some iconic Mario place, like Bob-Omb Battlefield. I could really imagine that level. Driving up the bridge, past the chain chomp, driving round and up the mountain, dodging the rolling boulders, getting to the top, and hopping in a cannon (like DK Mountain), back to the start.

Also, I think after the success of the soundtrack of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, we should probably brace ourselves for music of all types of genres in upcoming Nintendo games.

Yeah we need some more levels related to the Mario series defo. SMK has races based entirely around Super Mario World. I'll never forget how happy I was when Tick Tock Clock made it into MKDS :D

• 6 months later...