N-Europe

Games you used to love.. but now hate!

I was just quickly scanning through a similar topic on GamesRadar where they go through a few games that they enjoyed when they were younger but basically detest them now!

I didn't read it in too much detail because none of those games really struck a cord with me.. but it did get me interested in finding out what games you lot loved back when you were a kid but can't stand anymore :hehe: It would also be nice if you could give reasons why you thought it was great and why it no longer fills you with any joy :heh:

I'll let everyone else take to the floor on this topic first because, quite honestly, darksnowman and I played a few old games on the SNES last night.. and I still found them amazing :yay:

Having said that, I'm sure I will be able to contribute a few games of my own after a few posts :grin:

It's not that I hate them but... the 'classic' Sonic games...

I'm basically now so familiar with them that they simply aren't that fun to play anymore because I've played through them all colectively around a hundred + times.

Resident Evil 5... again I don't really hate it but, when it first came out I genuinely loved it but now... not so much, it's inferior to Resident Evil 4 in almost every respect bar the co-op and a few classic elements such as the welcome return of Lickers in Resi 5... even if they are fuckers.

Edited by S.C.G

Golden Axe. I loved it as a kid, but now it feels slow and boring. The Streets of Rage games have aged much better.

YES! As a kid I actually preferred Golden Axe to Streets of Rage and whilst I can still happily sit through Streets of Rage, Golden Axe is slow and repetitive.

For me, the co-op ruined Resident Evil 5, but hey.

Will be a very unpopular choice, but I find Mario 64 unplayable nowadays, mainly due to the camera. I remember people hating the camera on Mario Sunshine when it came out but I found it much better than 64's. How can anybody enjoy constantly fighting the camera whilst walking on that narrow plank in Whomp's Fortress for example. Don't get me wrong, the level design in this game is unparalleled but the damn camera is awful!!

There are no games I played as a kid and loved them to now hating them, it's the series I once loved that modern day versions of that are so utter crap that hell would consist of just playing those games straight for eternity...Hell could never get any worst then that.

Aww man, I feel for you. Lets give Dragon Quest IX a chance before writing the series off. Mmkay? :wink:

I see we've had mentions of Golden Axe, Donkey Kong Country, Mario Kart 64 and Super Mario 64.. but I'm not ashamed to say that I've played each of those quite recently and, to me, they've definitely still got it :yay:

Having said that, I will take the point that Streets of Rage has aged better than Golden Axe because I consider that to be true to an extent, but I do quite enjoy having a quick blast through Golden Axe if I have a spare half hour (it only takes that long to finish :indeed: ..well, I say finish, I almost always die on the final battle with Death Adder :red:)

On the subject of a particular series that was once loved, I have to throw my hat into the ring for Pro Evolution Soccer! For years it was without doubt the best football game available, but in my opinion, the decline has been all too apparent.. it now feels terrible :hmm:

My brother and I have found ourselves returning to a childhood favourite in the form of Super Soccer on the SNES, which we both still adore! It could easily have been a game that wouldn't have aged well given the amount of football games that have been released since 1992, but for us it still retains the magic that had us hooked for many years :hehe: The fact that it was our first ever game probably has a lot to do with our fondness for it :smile:

Yoshi's Island - I loved it on the SNES, but when I played it on the GBA I found the controls and gameplay too fussy. On the SNES it came packaged with an official guidebook with all the maps. As such, it was a joy to play and I completed it 100%. However, without the guidebook, there are far too many secrets, things to collect and different paths per level. It's just not very focused.

...I see what you did there :awesome:

:grin:

My brother and I have found ourselves returning to a childhood favourite in the form of Super Soccer on the SNES, which we both still adore! It could easily have been a game that wouldn't have aged well given the amount of football games that have been released since 1992, but for us it still retains the magic that had us hooked for many years :hehe: The fact that it was our first ever game probably has a lot to do with our fondness for it :smile:

I think Super Soccer is definitely one that you need to be nostalgic for. :heh:

Yoshi's Island - I loved it on the SNES, but when I played it on the GBA I found the controls and gameplay too fussy. On the SNES it came packaged with an official guidebook with all the maps. As such, it was a joy to play and I completed it 100%. However, without the guidebook, there are far too many secrets, things to collect and different paths per level. It's just not very focused.

You used a guide?! And you are slagging Yoshi's Island?!

YI is probably my favourite 2D platformer after the DKC games. The sprawling levels and number of collectibles were Nintendo at the height of their side-scrolling expertise! I'll admit that getting 100% on every level was a huge undertaking, but its great incentive to go back to the game if you want to get more from it. :heh: Finishing each level with 30 stars (wasn't it 30?) was what scuppered me time and time again.

In the port to GBA the only thing I found lacking were the special effects.

I still can't believe you used a guide.

I still like Resident Evil Zero a lot, I still think it's one of the best games in the series, but after a recent playthrough, I don't think it's THE best like I once did.

I think the story and the art direction are at the peak of the Resident Evil series, and there are some individual elements that I really like - the ability to drop items anywhere and they'll stay there and the co-op moments.

BUT, there are some fundamental issues with the balance of combat. There's far too much ammo in the game, it's coming out of your ears by the time you reach the end.

However, I still believe it did massively inspire Resident Evil 4, and I still love it.

MARIO KART DOUBLE DASH! :o

Though I don't actually hate the game now. I hate how I'm unable to play it. The controls just don't work for me anymore. I cannot seem to turn or drift properly and I look on in amazement as I got gold on everything except the final Mirror Cup. DAMN RAINBOW ROAD!

I go back to it in the hope that I can 100% it in the knowledge that I no longer possess the skills to do so.

Mario Kart Wii has indulged me to much with its fanciful wheel! :p

I find perfect dark unplayable these days.

XBLA version fixes this, they upped the framerate to 60fps which is a marked improvement over the N64 version, not to mention redone graphics and full online multiplayer. :heart:

You used a guide?! And you are slagging Yoshi's Island?!

YI is probably my favourite 2D platformer after the DKC games. The sprawling levels and number of collectibles were Nintendo at the height of their side-scrolling expertise! I'll admit that getting 100% on every level was a huge undertaking, but its great incentive to go back to the game if you want to get more from it. :heh: Finishing each level with 30 stars (wasn't it 30?) was what scuppered me time and time again.

In the port to GBA the only thing I found lacking were the special effects.

Get over it.

I told you, it came with it. And, like I said, I enjoyed it with the guide. Unlike Super Mario World's secret exits, the secrets in Yoshi's Island were uncovered by going through the levels multiple times, exploring every hole. It's an OCD game.

I actually never liked yoshi's island.. I think I even might like it slightly more these days..

back in the day thought it was a bit babyish.. I don't think like that anymore of course but I Don't find it as good as nintendo fans claim at times

now now you found the metroid games hard :D I say this because fusion is the only one you like and is also the easiest :D

Get over it.

But... :heh:

I told you, it came with it.

But... :heh:

And, like I said, I enjoyed it with the guide.

True, you enjoyed your experience so thats the main thing.

Unlike Super Mario World's secret exits, the secrets in Yoshi's Island were uncovered by going through the levels multiple times, exploring every hole. It's an OCD game.

I had to comb through Mario Worlds levels time and again before happening upon some of the secret exits. I agree that Yoshi's Island is on a whole other level though. YI built upon the mentality I had developed with DKC for searching through levels, bit by bit for secrets. The OCD aspect worked for me. :hehe:

I actually never liked yoshi's island.. I think I even might like it slightly more these days..

back in the day thought it was a bit babyish.. I don't think like that anymore of course but I Don't find it as good as nintendo fans claim at times

Oh how you've matured!

now now you found the metroid games hard :D I say this because fusion is the only one you like and is also the easiest :D

I found Fusion difficult enough in places. :blush: The nightmare boss and the final encounter with the SA-X took me quite a few goes as far as I remember. I don't like Fusion because its easy, I like it because it feels like a game with a purpose- you are on that ship, the X are breaking loose and wreaking havoc. Super Metroid just seemed "hollow" to me. Like, you are plonked on a planet, and ok, the very first few rooms are atmospheric and interesting but after that there's just nothing driving me forward. Sorry, mcj. :heh:

Maybe if I replayed it nowadays, you say...? I dunno, I just don't connect with the Metroid universe. :(

Sorry, darksnowman, I was in a terrible mood last night and I thought you were having a go at me (well, you were, weren't you? :heh:)

Another thing about Yoshi's Island is that the "aim your eggs" gameplay doesn't seem very natural. For a 2D game, "jump" (Mario) or "jump and attack" (Metroid) seems more natural to me.

As for Super Metroid, it's good, but I honestly think both GBA Metroid games bettered it. It really is the easiest, for a start. Some of the bosses are impossible if you don't know the "secret", and then ridiculously easy when you do.

It's also far easier to find the upgrades than the other two (Zero Mission is the hardest in this regard - the speed boost puzzles are crazy). Also, when you compare Mother Brain in each game - in Super Metroid, it's a case of aiming up diagonally and dodging the occasional attack. In Zero Mission, you have to keep your cool, keep your positioning, dodge the important things and not worry about the unimportant things. The final boss is quite a challenge too.

The bosses in Fusion are a mix between the two, as they seem harder than the other two games at first, but have a clear technique to learn. Zero Mission, on the other hand, seems to keep its challenge more, as there is no real "easy" way to beat the bosses. Maybe that's just because I played it again on Hard mode.

They're all good though.

Oh how you've matured!

oh forgive me for having a different opinion to the norm :)

I was about 8. We all went through that " we are too old for this" phase... Some people never grow out of it. These days I generally prefer more colourful games anyway.

Sorry, darksnowman, I was in a terrible mood last night and I thought you were having a go at me (well, you were, weren't you? :heh:)

Another thing about Yoshi's Island is that the "aim your eggs" gameplay doesn't seem very natural. For a 2D game, "jump" (Mario) or "jump and attack" (Metroid) seems more natural to me.

As for Super Metroid, it's good, but I honestly think both GBA Metroid games bettered it. It really is the easiest, for a start. Some of the bosses are impossible if you don't know the "secret", and then ridiculously easy when you do.

It's also far easier to find the upgrades than the other two (Zero Mission is the hardest in this regard - the speed boost puzzles are crazy). Also, when you compare Mother Brain in each game - in Super Metroid, it's a case of aiming up diagonally and dodging the occasional attack. In Zero Mission, you have to keep your cool, keep your positioning, dodge the important things and not worry about the unimportant things. The final boss is quite a challenge too.

The bosses in Fusion are a mix between the two, as they seem harder than the other two games at first, but have a clear technique to learn. Zero Mission, on the other hand, seems to keep its challenge more, as there is no real "easy" way to beat the bosses. Maybe that's just because I played it again on Hard mode.

They're all good though.

Ya that's a point.. I love how much faster zero mission is to super metroid as well. For me it's always been metroid zero mission, super metroid and metroid prime for the top.

Edited by mcj metroid
Automerged Doublepost

Ya that's a point.. I love how much faster zero mission is to super metroid as well. For me it's always been metroid zero mission, super metroid and metroid prime for the top.

My Top 3 are Zero Mission, Fusion and Prime. I was surprised I enjoyed Metroid Prime more than Super Metroid in the end, and I don't have any "problem" with Super whatsoever.

Then again, there hasn't been a bad Metroid (that I've played - haven't played Metroid II or Hunters)!

Resident Evil 5... again I don't really hate it but, when it first came out I genuinely loved it but now... not so much, it's inferior to Resident Evil 4 in almost every respect bar the co-op and a few classic elements such as the welcome return of Lickers in Resi 5... even if they are fuckers.

500x_burning.jpg

:D

COMPLETE GLOBAL SATURATION!