NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

I got one of the emails and don't consider myself having spent a fortune on there. I've been a registering items since forever, (did GC games have them?) Bought just a launch day 3DS and no others. Won one of the limited Toad 3DS's and have gotten codes for Tomodachi Life and SSB demos.

I wasn't really interested, but now I'm thinking of getting it. I don't know if I'd open it yet, but I'd have it if I ever wanted it. Plus it's probably going to be a limited number of consoles.

I'll definitely send it your way Sam if I don't decide to take advantage of it.

:) I'll have a think and then make a decision sharpish.

And the Peach 3ds was a bit of a steal actually. Managed to bag it for like £170 off eBay, so no where near what the Toad and Mario ones went for. Which is odd, as the Peach 3ds is infinitely better. :indeed::laughing:

But yeah, once I decide I'll let you know!

Thank you for your consideration, I appreciate it either way. :smile:

Are you ever going to be using your Peach 3DS again? I'd imagine that now you've upgraded to your imported New 3DS it's be hard to go back, at least it's a nice collectors item though, not that you'd ever part with it of course. : peace:

Got one of these emails too, would rather hold out for an xl though. €170 from aus, plus postage.

I'm going to put my selection down to good Club Nintendo survey karma. I've always taken the time to fill them in properly, even when the damn things give error messages.

Thank you for your consideration, I appreciate it either way. :smile:

Are you ever going to be using your Peach 3DS again? I'd imagine that now you've upgraded to your imported New 3DS it's be hard to go back, at least it's a nice collectors item though, not that you'd ever part with it of course. : peace:

No worries.

And I could never go back to the normal 3ds now. I always preferred it over the XL, but only because I didn't like the size of the XL nor did I feel it was much of an 'upgrade' like most did. The speakers / sound was crap, the buttons were mushy, I preferred the glossy exterior of the original etc, but I can see why people felt the opposite as the original wasn't without its problems. Those bottom screen lines marking the top screen :nono:

But yeah, the New 3ds is just brilliant. Peach 3ds will be kept as a collector item! : peace:

Those bottom screen lines marking the top screen :nono:

My XL still has this issue. I'm hoping the New 3DS doesn't. I was going to put a screen protector on my next 3DS but as this was such a snap decision I didn't have time to buy one. And I can never put screen protectors on after an item has been used, no matter how much you clean it there will always be some sort of mark stuck underneath it.

And I'm still waiting for Yodel, bit annoying as it means I haven't been able to go out all day.

Some Club Nintendo stats in case there is some pattern beyond randomly picking:

Total stars earned: 68885

Current stars: 7845

Registered products: 261

Last registered product: Kirby Triple Deluxe (digital code) 02/01/2015

Consoles registered: DSi (13/06/2014), 3DS (06/06/2013), 3DS XL (28/07/2013), Wii (29/04/2012), 3DS (25/03/2011), DSi (03/04/2009), Wii (08/12/2006), DS Lite (22/06/2006), DS (12/03/2005), GameCube (07/06/2004), GBA SP (08/05/2004) + the Wii U which doesn't show up on there.

Edited by V. Amoleo

Also that Smash Bros faceplate is a really nice bonus for me because I was gonna get the Japanese one, but I noticed that it had the Japanese logo on it and I didn't want that

"Is"? Don't you mean "Would have been"?

You... You're not getting another New 3DS, are you!?

Finally arrived! Different box to what I expected.

In a rush so I can only link to my Twitter.

Bit weird that it doesn't come with a 'normal' faceplate. Just the ambassador ones.

Yup. Black for me as well, if I decided to upgrade that is.

As a side note, I'm so gutted Greg and Colin have left IGN :(

"Is"? Don't you mean "Would have been"?

You... You're not getting another New 3DS, are you!?

One for my sister. She still needs one. This just happens to be perfect timing since she was gonna get it in a few days time or so anyway! :D

Plus we're planning on sharing the faceplates we get together anyway ;)

One for my sister. She still needs one. This just happens to be perfect timing since she was gonna get it in a few days time or so anyway! :D

Plus we're planning on sharing the faceplates we get together anyway ;)

Didn't she want an XL? Oh well, never mind. Still gonna wait for my blue XL.

Didn't she want an XL? Oh well, never mind. Still gonna wait for my blue XL.

Nah, she wants the normal one. It's my brother who wants the Xl...

Speaking of which, there's a rumour going around that the New3DS might actually launch on Jan 12! Supposedly some retailers are listing the New3DS in their systems as down for Jan 12, so here's hoping ;)

Finally arrived! Different box to what I expected.

In a rush so I can only link to my Twitter.

Bit weird that it doesn't come with a 'normal' faceplate. Just the ambassador ones.

That's some sweet delivery time! : peace:

How are you finding it?! You are actually using it, right? Or is it to be locked away forever as a collectible / sold on for dollah?! :)

As a side note, I'm so gutted Greg and Colin have left IGN :(

Indeed. The Beyond podcast ( A BAKERS DOZEN!! ) was great and I'm gonna miss listening to them on a weekly basis. Luckily Jose and Brian are still around for NVC.

Has anyone got an Ambassador New 3DS and done a system transfer to it yet? 2 people from a StreetPass group I attend have reported their digital saves being deleted. Not sure if they were just careless, or if I have something to worry about.

Indeed. The Beyond podcast ( A BAKERS DOZEN!! ) was great and I'm gonna miss listening to them on a weekly basis. Luckily Jose and Brian are still around for NVC.

I listened to their new podcast last night, seems good and they spent most of it talking about Nintendo which was nice. Still Game Scoop will be poorer without Greg, and Colin's articles were excellent.

Has anyone got an Ambassador New 3DS and done a system transfer to it yet? 2 people from a StreetPass group I attend have reported their digital saves being deleted. Not sure if they were just careless, or if I have something to worry about.

Probably just careless, there shouldn't be any difference between the Aus and Ambassador units. Most likely they didn't copy the SD card properly.

Poor quality images ahoy!

The outer box, very fancy:

IMG_20150107_200425.jpg

Inner box once opened:

IMG_20150107_200445.jpg

The Smash faceplates are underneath.

IMG_20150107_200517.jpg

They have labels for the headphones and the card slot on the Ambassador plates which ruin them a bit in my opinion.

The unit itself feels tiny compared to the XL. Think I prefer the start/select buttons on the XL as well.

That's some sweet delivery time! : peace:

How are you finding it?! You are actually using it, right? Or is it to be locked away forever as a collectible / sold on for dollah?! :)

Haha, I'm very much a 'it's meant to be played with' sort of person so it was straight out of the box.

Does yours have a weird flicker at even the slightest touch? I'm guessing it's the screen adjusting but it's irritating. I just want to check it's meant to be doing that.

I'm only just doing the system transfer so I've only used it to get to that so far. I'm really liking the colorful buttons and the second analogue is so weird. I need to try it with something now to see how it works. One thing I have noticed is that the menus feel so smooth now. I keep hitting the start button when I'm trying to power it on but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

I have to admit, I'd be a little gutted if they do go on general sale the 12th. There's no way they'll be £180 when they're in shops so I'll feel ripped off. Especially as I wanted an XL and only justified the purchase by telling myself I'd have at least another pay packet before the New XL launched.

Update:

Okay so I've used it for about an hour now and I have some more impressions. The weird flicker is something I've got used to. It's because I was looking away and then back to it rather than concentrating on just using it. I'd still like to know if others have experienced this though. With the brightness level set high the auto brightness seems to be super aggressive, bringing the level down makes its stop being so twitchy.

The slightly bigger screen is actually a nice upgrade to the normal 3DS. It's still significantly sharper than the XL and the new 3D makes it look the best it ever has. I was going to say that another improvement over the original 3DS is that the 3D light is no longer there (same as on the XL) but now there's a red light which occasionally flashes on which I think is the auto brightness sensor becoming active.

The buttons aren't as clicky as the original 3DS but they're less soft than the XL ones. I feel the speakers are a little bit better than the XL but it's been so long since I used the original 3DS I can't compare them to that. The little rubber pads on the top half are significantly bigger than on any previous 3DS and it seems to keep the screens far enough apart when closed. Though this does mean debris could probably get in between while closed. The power button is recessed a bit too much which can make it awkward to press but I'd rather it was awkward to press than too easy! Being on the outside means it's easier to switch it on for StreetPass without having to open it, which I think is a plus.

The second analogue is so weird to use. I fired up Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and, though it takes a little getting used to, it does work. It's nothing like a slide pad or a traditional analogue stick. You basically just apply pressure to it rather than actually moving it. You won't ever be playing a FPS using it but I'd hope that'd never be the case considering how well FPSs worked using the touchscreen on the DS.

The lack of power supply with it is weird. I know they've done it with the 2DS and XL already, so I didn't expect one, but can you imagine if other electronic devices came without any sort of charger? There'd be an outrage. You can't, officially, charge the 3DS over USB either.

@Mandalore I've done a system transfer and all my digital saves have remained. Including those from DSiWare.

I'm not sure if I'm going to leave the ambassador plates on or swap them with the Smash Bros ones. I'm really happy with the plates, to the point where I might not actually rush out to buy an New XL! I do agree with @Aneres11 about it being annoying the bottom one is screwed on though.

Much like @Stewie, I didn't have any Club Nintendo card in there. Which is a bit of a shame because I like seeing the date I bought a console on there.

I need to wait for a suitable case for it now though so it doesn't get any scratches or dings floating around in my bag. None of my old DS/3DS cases fit :( I'll also need to pick up a white or grey wrist strap. I play it a lot on the bus/tram so I need some way to tether it to me. I don't want to put the black one from the XL on though because it won't match!

Edited by V. Amoleo
Update: used it for an hour or so.

Update:

Okay so I've used it for about an hour now and I have some more impressions. The weird flicker is something I've got used to. It's because I was looking away and then back to it rather than concentrating on just using it. I'd still like to know if others have experienced this though. With the brightness level set high the auto brightness seems to be super aggressive, bringing the level down makes its stop being so twitchy.

Yeah, it's the head tracking, the screens are just adjusting. Was a bit weird for me the first time too. :p

The stylus on the regular is worse than the XL model, feels like it'll snap any moment.

As a note, I think anyone unsure on upgrading should do so it's easily the best revision of the 3DS. The speed boosts make quite a bit of difference (mostly referring to the main UI but Smash and MH4 run much better). It generally feels nicer to hold I think and have better build quality than the old XL model.

Got mine yesterday as well. Won't go into all the details as obviously they're the same as others!

A quick overview of my opinions having now played with it.

First my negative comments:

Agree that the power button is a bit of a pain to use.

The new stylus isn't as nice or comfortable to use as the original 3DS

I've found that when holding the unit with the stylus out, my finger rubs against the stylus opening on the unit which is a bit uncomfortable, so I have to consciously move my finger to a more comfortable position,

Don't like the auto brightness. Never used it with my original 3DS so it probably isn't unique to the new one.

And now my likes:

Turned Auto Brightness off and the display is brilliant.

The slightly bigger screen is good. I never really liked my daughter's 3DSXL as, for me, the screens are too big, but this new size suits me well.

The whole console feels a bit more solid than my original 3DS. There's no 'wobble' on the top screen. Whether this will change in time, obviously I don't know. The rounded edges also make it nicer to hold and I imagine that it will be more comfortable especially when playing for a long time.

The new arrangement of Home, Start and Select buttons is far better then then original - I hated the original's 'flat' buttons.

System transfer, while painfully slow, worked well and as far as I can see, everything has transferred over.

I like the idea of the face plates. They are a far better way of customising the console than stickers are.

Boot up time is a lot faster.

Am now toying with getting Super Smash Bros for the console (already have the WiiU version) just so I can try out the new buttons!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So after mulling over it for a bit, I decided to take the plunge and buy one (even if it's just for collectors sake).

I put my order in at 13:04 yesterday (7th Jan) with free shipping (3-5 days), got an email to say it had been shipped at 14:59 yesterday (7th Jan) and received my New 3DS this morning a little over an hour ago (8th Jan).

I've had a look at the machine at it does look very nice, the face plates are nice and will add much customisation. I'll probably use it one day, when the need arises, but for now I'm happy with my limited Toad edition.

I'm still swithering over my offer at the moment. (been registering stuff since the GC/GBA days and bought the DS ambassador back in the day)

I'm definitely upgrading, but can't decide if I want to wait for the new xl or not. I do like the changeable faceplates, but also like the bigger screen on my current XL, so not sure if I would be ok with the smaller screen!

argh!

#firstworldproblems

Okay, so mine should be here tomorrow. I haven't got a micro sd - argh!! Not prepared! I'll order one now. Any bargains ou there?!

Any reason this would be a bad one to buy? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-microSDHC-Class-adapter/dp/B00519BEQY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1420760955&sr=8-5&keywords=MicroSDHC+with+adaptor

Lastly, what did people's delivery say? Ordered mine at 9am. Still awaiting stock pick? Could it still be delivered tomorrow?

Okay, so mine should be here tomorrow. I haven't got a micro sd - argh!! Not prepared! I'll order one now. Any bargains ou there?!

Any reason this would be a bad one to buy? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-microSDHC-Class-adapter/dp/B00519BEQY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1420760955&sr=8-5&keywords=MicroSDHC+with+adaptor

Lastly, what did people's delivery say? Ordered mine at 9am. Still awaiting stock pick? Could it still be delivered tomorrow?

That's the SD card I went with (best one with Prime delivery option). Got it yesterday and did the system transfer. Everything went smoothly, I really had nothing to worry about after all.

As for delivery of the new 3DS, it arrived the day after I purchased it.