NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

Well the transfer was torture, as expected.

I took pics of my horrendous journey. :heh:

So this is the New 3DS minus the stupid back cover.

temporary_zpsd77053ea.jpg

I used this to get it off. :mad:

temporary_zps0c5a8708.jpg

I ended up buying a 32gb memory card, not realising my Peach 3DS had a 16gb... Aargh!! Ah well, better to go too big than too small.

temporary_zps2fb33890.jpg

Ok then. Time to transfer.

Oh wait no. SYSTEM UPDATES!! :mad: :mad:

:laughing: it was becoming frustrating now!

temporary_zps496b5d72.jpg

Transfer is away. The Pikmin did their thing. All was complete.

It's a really confusing process I think. I had to follow a YouTube guide of some guy doing it to make sure I was clicking the right thing. But even then, I couldn't truly understand why I was selecting some things.

Got the current SD card on my mac, took the data off it, new one in. Needed formatting. Couldn't remember how to do it... :laughing:

Once I worked it out... All was a go!

temporary_zps4cae4ec9.jpg

I said a little prayer... And hey presto!!

temporary_zpsedcec4a9.jpg

Shiney and new! :D

But then sadness. A sad farewell to the greatest 3DS design ever created*

temporary_zps1e406e0c.jpg

I love that 3DS :(

But the New 3DS is honestly a joy to play on.

I obviously haven't held the XL but this normal sized one is prefect for me. I have quite small hands but there is no cramped feel like their is on the original model. It's a perfect size IMO. It also feels much smoother in the hands as it is a little more curved and rounded unlike the sharper edges of the original model.

Screen viewing angles are great, much better than the original with the 3d.

It's lightning quick. I wish I still had my copy of Smash Bros 3DS to see how quick it comes out of the game and back to the home screen compared to the original. Coz I used to be able to press the home button and go and make a cup of tea with the old 3DS before it let me click to go back to home. :laughing: (slight exaggeration...)

I really like the second 'nub' above the buttons. It doesn't move. At all. But it doesn't really need to. I think it's a perfect replacement for the CPP and now I finally may get to play Kid Icarus and enjoy it!

I hate the stylus. It's horrid. It's fine to use when you've taken it out, but slotting it back in is a nightmare.

Obviously, I don't like the memory card placement, but shouldn't need to remove that for a good while now. Unless we get Princess Peach New 3DS of course. :heh:

I intend to get some cover plates so will have to do it again then, but i have put my screw driver thing in a safe place for when that happens!

All in all it's such a great console. It almost seems like it's the console Nintendo should have released to begin with, but nice that they've upgraded the 3DS with features worth having. If anyone doesn't have a 3DS and is waiting for one of these then I don't think you'll be disappointed.

*not up for debate :heh:

Regarding ones I have my eye on. Well. Do you need to ask...?? :heh:

Did you get any?

Haha, of course. I expected nothing less. ;)

Got the XL model so no faceplates for me. Might get the regular model when they get released over here.

I'd want a Lucina face plate though if they made one. :p

Edit: Oh, you can make your 3DS act as a network storage device to get files off the SD card, I think it works on MAC. It's painfully slow though so I wouldn't recommend doing a full backup using that method but it's handy for getting images on/off.

The XL needs a type 00 screwdriver btw, I assume the regular model is the same.

Edited by Ike

Haha, of course. I expected nothing less. ;)

Got the XL model so no faceplates for me. Might get the regular model when they get released over here.

I'd want a Lucina face plate though if they made one. :p

Edit: Oh, you can make your 3DS act as a network storage device to get files off the SD card, I think it works on MAC. It's painfully slow though so I wouldn't recommend doing a full backup using that method but it's handy for getting images on/off.

The XL needs a type 00 screwdriver btw, I assume the regular model is the same.

Ah ok thanks. I've got a screwdriver that works now so all is well, they coulda included one though! :heh:

I forgot the XL doesn't have face plates. That kinda sucks. I think I'd find the XL model too big. I love the size of this one. Perfect for me. Those with bigger hands though would probably love the XL. Wonder when they're gonna come out over here?!

I seen that about the network storage thing but even the guy in the YouTube vid I followed said that was the slow painful option ha.

I just had a thought about that deal Nintendo have with the free form screen..

maybe it's not THE screen after all. Or more to the point, maybe it's not ONLY the screen. I'm thinking about the recent themes they are allowing us on the 3ds, as well as the faceplates for new 3ds. What if this free-form screen will cover the whole inside of the console, wrapping around the controls. Themes could wrap around the controls, not being confined to the screen.

In games bespoke labels for face buttons could then be created, either using words or icons. If the screen is touch screen developers could even add touch controls that have been created specifically for their game in the interface area of the console.

Ended up getting a 64GB mSD from Amazon when it was on sale so I upgraded the card in my 3DS since it was almost full. Just needed to be formatted from exFat to Fat32 but seems to be working fine and I have a load more space.

Ended up getting a 64GB mSD from Amazon when it was on sale so I upgraded the card in my 3DS since it was almost full. Just needed to be formatted from exFat to Fat32 but seems to be working fine and I have a load more space.

Yeah, I've been using a 64GB SD/microSD card in my 3DS for a good while. Works perfectly when you format it to FAT32 (and with roughly 250 apps/games on my Home Menu, I still have plenty of space! TBH, I'm more concerned with hitting the 300 icon limit than any sort of space limit. I do have a load of crappy apps, videos and demos that I can remove if need be, but I get the feeling that there's a good chance that I might actually hit the icon limit before the generation is over :shakehead )

BTW, little pro tip. If you are using a normal SD Card instead of a Micro SD Card (inside an SD Card adapter) with your current 3DS, make the switch to Micro SD before you actually get a New3DS; it'll make for a much simpler and generally painless system transfer process (in fact, there's an option in the System Transfer process that assumes that you've already done this in advance! Doing so means that you can literally just do the licence transfer process, swap the Micro SD Cards over and you're done, without even having to turn the system off! I was impressed to see that they actually assumed that some people would do that! :awesome: )

BTW, little pro tip. If you are using a normal SD Card instead of a Micro SD Card (inside an SD Card adapter) with your current 3DS, make the switch to Micro SD before you actually get a New3DS; it'll make for a much simpler and generally painless system transfer process (in fact, there's an option in the System Transfer process that assumes that you've already done this in advance! Doing so means that you can literally just do the licence transfer process, swap the Micro SD Cards over and you're done, without even having to turn the system off! I was impressed to see that they actually assumed that some people would do that! :awesome: )

Oh God. Cannot echo the above enough.

See above torture and rage from me for more info. :heh:

Definitely worth doing now to avoid any hassle when it eventually drops over here.

Just a quick update on my new 3DS whilst I'm here.

I love it! :yay:

It's everything the 3ds should have been and more. It's so fast, fluid, nice to hold, feels and looks great. Great 3d viewing screen. I just need to wait til I get paid before I try and import some cover plates to really make it my own!

I take it everyone just received that email from Nintendo offering them the New 3DS Ambassador Edition. I was going to buy the XL first but I may as well buy this now and buy the XL when I was going to buy the smaller one later in the year.

This does raise a question though, how many times can I do a system transfer?

I take it everyone just received that email from Nintendo offering them the New 3DS Ambassador Edition. I was going to buy the XL first but I may as well buy this now and buy the XL when I was going to buy the smaller one later in the year.

I think it's just selected members who have gotten the email...sadly. :(

I think it's just selected members who have gotten the email...sadly. :(

Oh. Well I wonder what the criteria was. It's linked to your Club Nintendo account because you have to enter it to see the page.

There's probably a delay too. Would be pants if not even everyone here had the chance to buy it.

I got the mail. Just read it now.

Bit pissed off seeing as I've just bloody imported one which my parents paid for for Christmas!

I'm kinda tempted though... Gonna see how much it is.

I got the mail. Just read it now.

Bit pissed off seeing as I've just bloody imported one which my parents paid for for Christmas!

I'm kinda tempted though... Gonna see how much it is.

It's £180 for the White 3DS, Ambassador Plate, Smash Bros Cover Plates and charging cradle. I'm guessing you paid less than that anyway.

So... Nintendo Direct on Jan 13 it is the it seems...

I'll probably bite on this edition for my sister. We're planning on sharing the coverplates anyway! :D

Just heard the news but didn't get the e-mail either.

“We’d like to thank you, one of our most loyal customers, for all your support. To show our appreciation, we’re offering you the chance to purchase New Nintendo 3DS now, and get it before the official European launch!”, their email begins.

“New Nintendo 3DS will be coming to Europe in 2015, bringing new customisation options, new speed, new controls, new 3D viewing and a whole new handheld gaming experience! And with this offer, you can be one of the first players in Europe to own the new system!

“For a limited time only, we’re giving you the opportunity to purchase our special New Nintendo 3DS Ambassador Edition bundle – that includes exclusive Ambassador Cover Plates (which won’t be available anywhere else), a charging cradle, and a set of Super Smash Bros. cover plates, too! If you’d like to purchase it, you only have until 23:59 (UK time) on January 12th 2015 to take advantage of this offer.”

This special bundle includes:

• New Nintendo 3DS Ambassador Edition Bundle system in White - Value of £155.99
  • An exclusive Ambassador Edition Cover Plate (Back)
  • An exclusive Ambassador Edition Cover Plate (Front) - Value of £7.67
  • New Nintendo 3DS Ambassador Edition Bundle stylus
  • 4 GB microSDHC memory card
  • A set of AR Cards
  • A Quick-Start Guide
  • An Operations Manual
  • A set of front and back Super Smash Bros. cover plates - Value of £7.67
  • A charging cradle for the console in White - Value of £7.67

Edited by Wii

It's £180 for the White 3DS, Ambassador Plate, Smash Bros Cover Plates and charging cradle. I'm guessing you paid less than that anyway.

Yeah under £160 they got mine for.

Still tempted, but not at the same time.

If they actually did a proper ambassador thing again with games and stuff I'd be interested, or if I hadn't already got one as previously mentioned I'd have jumped all over it.

Now I dunno.

See above torture and rage from me for more info. :heh:

Haha, it's not that difficult if your prepared. ;)

They removed the limit a while ago.

Haha, it's not that difficult if your prepared. ;)

I wasn't prepared. :(

But now??!! System transfer? Pffft. Come at me bro. :heh:

I wasn't prepared. :(

But now??!! System transfer? Pffft. Come at me bro. :heh:

Hah, yeah. System transfer is always scary, try doing it in Japanese. :p

Got the ambassador email btw.

Edit: ordered.

Edited by Ike

I was going to predict that we'd have a Direct in the middle of January. I just hope it's not just a dedicated New 3DS Direct now.

I was going to predict that we'd have a Direct in the middle of January. I just hope it's not just a dedicated New 3DS Direct now.

Why would it be dedicated to the New 3DS?

Why would it be dedicated to the New 3DS?

Because the Japanese and Australian equivalents were?

Either way, the US/EU ones will have to be more informative because at a bare minimum, we'll be getting MH4U released on the same day for certain.

3DS Direct is most welcome.

Christ knows the system is crying out for games. Or for it is anyway.

And @Ike - good to see you've ordered! Who knows what would have happened if you didn't get the email and couldn't get one for your collection! :heh:

I'm still torn. But thinking about it, it's good value to be getting it early taking into account the price for the charging cradle and cover plates too.

I'll probably bite on this edition for my sister. We're planning on sharing the coverplates anyway! :D

Where're you getting that date from? Because the offer ends on the 12th or has there been an announcement I've missed?

Where're you getting that date from? Because the offer ends on the 12th or has there been an announcement I've missed?

Just an assumption I'm making. Why else end it on such an arbitrary date?