NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

OK, I've got a question I wonder if people could help me with please. I've got just one game I want to transfer from my DSi XL to my 3DS. The question is: will it delete anything at all on my 3DS? I know it'll delete my save data on the DSi Ware game, I just don't want it to have any effect on my 3DS.

Nah, it just transfers over the licence and the DSiWare game data.

Just a note to say there's some quite good roller coaster footage on Nintendo Video at the moment (Blue Fire at Europa Park). Thought @ReZourceman and @Retro_Link might like that in particular.

Anyway, the 3DS is getting better and better. What are your most wanted titles at the moment? Mine are:

1) Code of Princess

2) Etrian Odyssey IV

3) Luigi's Mansion 2

4) Dragon Quest Monsters

5) Animal Crossing

6) Heroes of Ruin (probably)

EDIT - Completely forgot about Bravely Default and Paper Mario, but they are very much wanted!

Edited by Grazza

Cheers @Grazza, I'll give it a look when I have time.

Hmm, if I were to nail it down to a Top 5, it would probably be...

1) Mario Tennis Open

2) Paper Mario

3) Rhythm Thief

4) Bravely Default

5) Nano Assault

*And my interest in 6) Kid Icarus has been somewhat reignited by the latest videos... but still not fully convinced*

EDIT: Forgot Fire Emblem! :p

I haven't played the series before, but think I might give this one a go.

Edited by Retro_Link

Awesome question Gra let me think...

1. FIRE EMBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Paper Mario

3. Pokemon Black 2

4. Luigi's Mansion 2

5. Rhythm Thief

apart from FE and Paper Mario it was a tough choice. I mean Heroes of Ruin, Bravely Default and Beyond the Labyrinth could be in that list too.

However if I were to include Smash Bros. in that list it would look something like this...

1. Super Smash Bros.

2. Super Smash Bros.

3. Fire Emblem Awakening

4. Super Smash Bros.

5. Super Smash Bros.

Edited by -Dem0-

Anyway, the 3DS is getting better and better. What are your most wanted titles at the moment? Mine are:

1. Mario Tennis Open - single player and online tennis fun with my favourite video game mascots? Yes please! Probably a game that will be in my 3DS's cartridge slot for a long time.

2. Luigi's Mansion 2 - loved the original, despite never owning a copy, so can't wait to play a sequel to this under-rated gem.

3. Paper Mario 3DS - this better be the true sequel to The Thousand Year Door.

4. Rhythm Thief - I'm a huge fan of this genre on Nintendo handhelds. Wonder if this will be the 3DS' answer to Elite Beat Agent?

5. Kid Icarus Uprising/Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D - looking forward to trying both these franchises next month. Not that familiar with them either, so hoping to be suprised.

1.Monster Hunter 3G: Please Nintendo/Capcom bring this over here. If you need to ask why this is my number 1, then you don't know me at all. :D

2.Kingdom Hearts 3D:- Massive fan of the series and I can't wait for some more Disney/Final Fantasy adventures. Having TWEWY characters in it is also a MASSIVE plus.

3.Paper Mario 3D: I love the Mario RPG series, even though the Wii one did suck a bit. I'm hoping for a return to form with this one. Hopefully it will capture the charm, humour and accessiblility that the previous games had.

4.Fire Emblem: It's Fire Emblem. Nuff said.

5.Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy: I'm not usually a fan of these types of games but given the setting, characters and music in this game, it's a must have title for me. Being able to play along to my favourite FF songs on the go will be heaven.

Let's see here, ...

1. Paper Mario, because I'm a BIG fan :D

As for the rest, I'm looking to buy the following in my lifetime that has been announced.

- Bravery Default: something something :laughing:

- Luigi's Mansion 2

- Fantasy Life (hoping it comes to Europe)

- Star Fox 3DS

- Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D

- Fire Emblem 3DS

- Super Mario 3DLand

- Rhythm Thief

- LAYTON!

- Kid Icarus: Uprising

Still not too sure about Animal Crossing.

I must note that probably most of those game will get played when I'm 40, for I'll be playing smash on my WiiU :smile:

Did I mention that there are too many games out there to play...?

I mean, I'm still finding myself playing games that were launch titles for the DSPhat, or experiencing, for the first time, other NINTENDO classics for the SNES and whatnot.

Heck, I've finally completed my live long dream of getting Earthbound to play on an emulator. Very hyped to give that a go in the near future, but I try to focus on 2 games at a time: 1 on my 3DS and 1 on my Wii. I find myself to be more involved with the storylines and whatnot if I do that, instead of playing 5 games at a time.

Currently, I'm working through Resident Evil:Revelations and Xenoblade with a friend. That'd be a friendproject, and I'm looking to make my own, personal Wii Project Okami.

Oh well, I've recently come to terms that I probably won't be able to be in the midst of all the newly released games talk. I have evolved into someone who will revive old threads of old games and give my impressions on those:laughing:

Edited by Fused King

Well to put any game other than Smash Bros at the top would be poor sacriledge so that is sitting pretty at the top of the chart and I look forward to losing against all of you in the not so near future.

Next up is Fire Emblem because I think the games are great and tell some of the best stories on Nintendo consoles accompanied with brilliant gameplay and exceptional music and this time, it has the some visual clout to back up the rest of the goodness.

A bit of a cheeky one this since it hasn't been confirmed/announced but I'm going to go with Golden Sun because if you've played Dark Dawn, you know it's coming - it's just a matter of when. Summons in 3D = mind blown!!

This might seem like an odd choice, and it's really dependant on whether Treasure are making it or not, and whether it's still coming, but I'm looking forward to Gradius because Gradius V on the PS2 is one of my all time favourite games and I would love to play something that awesome again. Sod it, just port it over and I'd be happy. It was said to be on it's way (a game, not necessarily V) and was on the Nintendo Power survey for registering interest so it better be coming. Rebirth wasn't bad but it was no V... then again, then nothing is.

And if I'm adding a fifth one (or four if you don't count GS), well right now it probably has to be Monster Hunter 4. 3G is nice and all but I'd prefer something brand new and the improvements evident in the trailer are a big step in the right direction.

Hopefully Koji Igarashi will get will get off his backside soon and announce a Castlevania game I can add to the list. Plenty of rumours but no conformations.

Edited by Captain Falcon

My Most Wanted:

1. Animal Crossing - Got a really good feeling about this one. I think that the 3DS hardware/online setup is just right to make this the definitive version of AC.

2. Mario Tennis Open - Doesn't look like there's going to be an RPG aspect unfortunately. But the online on this will be awesome, I'm sure of it. And you get more options to customise your Mii! :D

3. Luigi's Mansion 2 - Haven't seen much of this, but I loved the GCN game, so this has to be on my list.

4. Monster Hunter 4 - I'm really not fussed about Tri G, having spent 500+ hours on the Wii version. But a brand new MH? Hell yeah, bring it on! icon14.gif

5. Kid Icarus / Metal Gear - Not too excited about either of these to be honest, but I still think they'll be worthwhile additions to the 3DS library.

And for eShop:

1. Sakura Samurai - Got a terrible feeling that this isn't going to get released in Europe now, a huge shame as I've been looking forward to it ever since it got revealed. :(

2. SpeedThru: Potzol's Puzzle - Enjoyed the demo of ThruSpace on WiiWare, but never got around to getting the full game. Will be sure not to make that same mistake with this one though, it's going to be great in 3D!

3. Flipnote Memo - Nothing has been shown of this yet, but hey, it's the follow-up to Flipnote Studio, so it's going to be awesome. :awesome:

4. Art of Balance TOUCH! - Enjoyed the WiiWare version, if this is a completely new game I'll be sure to check it out.

5. Picross E - Not 100% sure about this, looks like it might just be a downloadable version of Picross DS. :hmm: Time will tell...

Come on E3... I need to know whether I should be waiting of for a remodel :(

I wouldn't count on a redesign any time soon anyway. Due to the price cut, Nintendo is barely making a profit on the 3DS. A new model will increase costs and so, unless they charge $250 and have it flop again, they will be losing money

I wouldn't count on a redesign any time soon anyway. Due to the price cut, Nintendo is barely making a profit on the 3DS. A new model will increase costs and so, unless they charge $250 and have it flop again, they will be losing money

Yeah, I'd have to concur. There's no need for a redesign at this point (and unlike the original DS & GBA when they first came out, they can't make the 3DS any smaller!)

So when do you guys think we'll finally start seeing 2D-only games for the 3DS? I remember some one saying last year that it's possible we'll eventually see one and I'm really curious to see what kind of graphics and performance the 3DS can do without reserving the additional power for 3D gameplay.

@Serebii - Yeah that's a pretty good arguement not to however I think it will be down to how Nintendo is responding to 3rd party requests and what their plans are for Wii U.

@Dcubed - I wasn't thinking smaller, just a version with the CPP built-in in away that doesn't look like a full body tumor.

Yeah, I'd have to concur. There's no need for a redesign at this point (and unlike the original DS & GBA when they first came out, they can't make the 3DS any smaller!)

a2Sbb.jpg

They might be able to make the 3DS smaller, but they shouldn't. Bigger is the way to go! As much as I like the 3DS (and I really do), I'm still using my DSi XL for DS games. Was playing Dragon Quest Monsters last night and the DSi XL still has quite a few advantages over the 3DS. For one thing, it feels more solid with a great d-pad, but the larger screen also makes the games so much more immersive.

- Mario Open Tennis

- Advance Wars

- I am interested by Paper Mario but unsure

- May try Kid Icarus.

So when do you guys think we'll finally start seeing 2D-only games for the 3DS? I remember some one saying last year that it's possible we'll eventually see one and I'm really curious to see what kind of graphics and performance the 3DS can do without reserving the additional power for 3D gameplay.

It's honestly up to the developer. Nicalis was going to do NightSky a 2D only game, which I was quite pleased about, but apparently they changed their minds after fan feedback.

I think the fact that we haven't seen any 2D-only games suggests that it won't really free up that much processing power.

Just a note about Nintendo Video: If anyone gets today's two new ones, can you tell me what they are, please? I don't want to get rid of the Europa Park video unless it's for something really good.

If it ever happens, I think it'll be when developers can't get their game to run as smoothly as they'd like. It seems to me Nintendo's "evolution" machines like the SNES, GameCube and 3DS always have much better graphics than processing power, eg. SNES had better graphics than Megadrive, but was not as fast. GameCube had better graphics than PS2, but supposedly a slower processor. Actually, that may be unfair on the 3DS because I haven't noticed any limitations yet from what I've played, but I've seen a few hints that it could be better. Eg. From the videos, Heroes of Ruin seems a little bit ambitious, processing-wise. When that happens, I hope developers do indeed make non-stereoscopic games, because I think it'll enable much better experiences, even if we don't notice it in the graphics.

Edited by Grazza

Just a note about Nintendo Video: If anyone gets today's two new ones, can you tell me what they are, please? I don't want to get rid of the Europa Park video unless it's for something really good.

If it ever happens, I think it'll be when developers can't get their game to run as smoothly as they'd like. It seems to me Nintendo's "evolution" machines like the SNES, GameCube and 3DS always have much better graphics than processing power, eg. SNES had better graphics than Megadrive, but was not as fast. GameCube had better graphics than PS2, but supposedly a slower processor. Actually, that may be unfair on the 3DS because I haven't noticed any limitations yet from what I've played, but I've seen a few hints that it could be better. Eg. From the videos, Heroes of Ruin seems a little bit ambitious, processing-wise. When that happens, I hope developers do indeed make non-stereoscopic games, because I think it'll enable much better experiences, even if we don't notice it in the graphics.

It be tomorrow we get Nintendo Video videos and we get Shaun the Sheep

It's honestly up to the developer. Nicalis was going to do NightSky a 2D only game, which I was quite pleased about, but apparently they changed their minds after fan feedback.

I think the fact that we haven't seen any 2D-only games suggests that it won't really free up that much processing power.

Yeah I pretty much assumed it'll be up to individual developers, but I'm becoming incredibly more cynical about the usage of 3D in games that actually don't benefit from it. The only games I've played that the gameplay has been enhanced by the 3D are Super Mario 3D Land and Crush3D to an extent.

Despite how small the resolution is, a lot of processing power is used for rendering double the image, hence why I want to see what 2D only games could actually offer because quite a lot of people (myself included) are probably vastly underestimating the power of it. I'm just incredibly curious is all =P

The SNES was incredibly well optimized, no wonder a lot of people consider it the peak of Nintendo because you could do so much with it despite the weaker processor. I think it's mainly because it had significantly more RAM available than the Megadrive and I think that's reflected in the concentration of RPG's where ram is pretty important. A lot of Megadrive games didn't look very good, but I still think Ristar is one of the most beautiful things I've seen from the 16-bit console era.

The Gamecube though was massively more powerful than the PS2 which is incredibly funny, firstly because not many people know that and secondly, the PS2 sold the most overall despite being the weakest of the three. Sound familiar? =P

You're probably right about 2D-only games will be used when there's performance problems, I think video game developers are following in the steps of movie directors by trying to use the 3D in any way possible, despite possibly falling incredibly flat.

The SNES was incredibly well optimized, no wonder a lot of people consider it the peak of Nintendo because you could do so much with it despite the weaker processor. I think it's mainly because it had significantly more RAM available than the Megadrive and I think that's reflected in the concentration of RPG's where ram is pretty important. A lot of Megadrive games didn't look very good, but I still think Ristar is one of the most beautiful things I've seen from the 16-bit console era.

And there's the famous assertion that the SNES couldn't have run Sonic the Hedgehog as well (which sounds about right to me). The Megadrive version of Street Fighter II was also meant to play better than the SNES version. Two brilliant machines though, I loved them both.

The Gamecube though was massively more powerful than the PS2 which is incredibly funny, firstly because not many people know that and secondly, the PS2 sold the most overall despite being the weakest of the three. Sound familiar? =P

My bad, I had seen someone say the PS2 was faster and I didn't check the facts. For the record (source: Wikipedia), the PS2's CPU was 299Mhz in later models and the GameCube's was 486Mhz. And of course, the GameCube's superior GPU was always evident.

Gotta say though, I owned all four consoles last gen - GameCube was my favourite, PS2 was my 2nd-favourite. Played some absolute gems on it. Was worth owning just for Dragon Quest VIII and Shadow of the Colossus, both of which had very impressive overworlds (which is why I always accepted the idea that PS2 had a fast processor).

You're probably right about 2D-only games will be used when there's performance problems, I think video game developers are following in the steps of movie directors by trying to use the 3D in any way possible, despite possibly falling incredibly flat.

I honestly can't decide how much I like stereoscopic 3D, even a year on, and I doubt I'll ever truly make up my mind. It sounded so exciting and I think Nintendo were right to give it a go. However, extra resolution, size and processing power always trump it. Whilst I like flicking the 3D on every so often, that's mainly for things like photos and videos. For a game, it's very hard to see optional 3D as more important than using all the resources for the game itself. I know if I ever end up playing a long RPG on the 3DS, I'd prefer it if it was 2D-only.

By the way, I should say I think the 3DS is a fantastic piece of kit and since the price cut I no longer truly consider the stereoscopy/parallax barrier as part of the cost. Nintendo absorbed that. It's just a great machine that's had a good first year and will hopefully have all the excellent games we'd expect of a Nintendo handheld - Zelda, Metroid etc.

To make a prediction though, I don't think stereoscopic 3D is here to stay. Whether with glasses or glasses-free, it still depends on sending a different image into each eye to create the illusion of depth, which is not too problematic with most people, but it always means something else could be better, like resolution. For the record, I think when higher resolutions are here, with higher framerates, this particular era of stereoscopy will be forgotten until they make consumer-level holograms.

Here's an interesting question. Bought a Wireless Access Point to use in my room since I get bad wifi there, added to my 3DS settings as connection 2, it seems to prefer the second connection despite my being to closer to my first Wireless Router. Does anyone know what criteria the 3DS (and Wii) uses to determine what connection it uses? I thought it would go by signal strength or if it's available or not so unless my new access point is better than my router?

To say it was massively more powerful is a bit of an over statement. Yes, the clock speeds for the CPU and GPU were around 50% greater than those of the PS2, but you can't really use that purely as the a judge of performance. Under certain condition, it is possible to gain better performance out of a PS2 than a GC. The PS2 is can actually calculate a lot more triangles per second than a GC can. It can also draw more to screen under the right conditions but ramping up the texture count seems to have a big knock in performance whereas the GC isn't affected as much.

The GC was massively easier to program though, both in terms of the CPU and GPU - the GPU architecture was more in line with existing PC graphics cards. Nintendo development tools were also said to be absolutely top notch as well meaning studios didn't have spend time rewriting big chunks of underlying code to get better performance. But this had the trade off of making it a more rigid system to deal with and if Nintendo's tools didn't allow for it, teams would struggle to implement that particular technical aspect.

The PS2 had more main system memory too meaning it was easier to manage it than the GC - that was just as big a reason why games weren't getting ported as much as the smaller disc space was. Yes, the GC first brought the super fast 1T-SRAM to the home console, which is now the the same type used as all the current machines, but faster access times can't get around all the issues of actual capacity even if you can swap data in and out quicker.

All things considered, the GC was a more efficient and streamlined machine that did have overall better performance but to call it massive is an insult to the PS2.