NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

Why is Nintendo Video so crap? Whereas Nintendo-Zone for NA & Canada has full episodes of Pokemon. even though I don't watch pokemon, the point is over here we get a few, short low quality trailers. (last time I checked)

http://3ds.nintendolife.com/news/2012/02/full_length_pokemon_tv_shows_come_to_nintendo_zone

Yeah, I know right! I deleted the video app a long time ago. I really hate to sound negative when something's free, but the content is just not appealing to me. Hopefully someone enjoys it though.

Speaking of video service, I think I read somewhere that UK is gonna get something similar to Netflix soon, not sure if it's true though.

Bloody hell. How do you find the time?! Unbelievable!!

My highest 3DS game is Nintendogs with about 28 hours and that was only because my girlfriend played it as well. Then mario kart at 25.

100 hours... Staggering. Reckon mario Kart will daily reach AT LEAST 200 though!!

I think it's nice to see that people are getting good value for their money. I don't personally have the time/patience myself to put in a hundred hours into one game I think. Maybe if Nintendo released a hockey (NHL) game.

My most played games are Resident Evil Revelations (17h), Zen Pinball (13h), PES 2011 3D (12h), Ridge Racer 3D (11h) and Tintin (10h).

Edited by cvl
Automerged Doublepost

My code finally dropped in for Kid Icarus last night, havn't had a chance to play it yet though.

Why is Nintendo Video so crap? Whereas Nintendo-Zone for NA & Canada has full episodes of Pokemon. even though I don't watch pokemon, the point is over here we get a few, short low quality trailers. (last time I checked)

http://3ds.nintendolife.com/news/2012/02/full_length_pokemon_tv_shows_come_to_nintendo_zone

Funny how you mentioned that because it's just been announced that we're getting Pokemon episodes as well:

Nintendo fans living in America will be able to watch the Pokemon TV series on their 3DS consoles when they visit a Nintendo Zone from February 6th.

Nintendo Zone is available in 29,000 locations across the US. 3DS owners simply have to take their 3DS to any of these Nintendo Zones and they'll get a free automatic connection to the Wi-Fi network. Once connected, they can discover Nintendo Zone where they can play demos, watch game previews, 3D videos and full length animations. There are also trivia challenges plus retailer promotions and coupons.

Now fans will be able to visit a Pokemon section at Nintendo Zone that will feature full-length episodes of the Pokemon TV series. This Pokemon section will also include information and videos about the newest Pokemon video games, Pokemon Trading Card Game and Pokemon news.

Would you like to be able to watch Pokemon TV episodes on your 3DS? Kirby TV came to 3DS in the UK this week.

Nintendo also announced a deal with free-hotspot.com that means you can now connect to 5000 free Wi-Fi hotspots across Europe.

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/34993/pokemon-tv-series-coming-to-3ds/

but it doesnt say whether or not europe, let alone the UK is getting these episodes. onm just asked if we want it. regardless the point still remains, having 4 short videos per week is pretty useless. they need to change the format for this application.

but it doesnt say whether or not europe, let alone the UK is getting these episodes. onm just asked if we want it. regardless the point still remains, having 4 short videos per week is pretty useless. they need to change the format for this application.

Agreed, it is a pointless app which is currently wasting space on the 3DS for me. How is it the American market gets better content??

The only "problem" I have with Nintendo Video is that it downloads everything without asking which ones you want, therefore wasting bandwidth. You could set it not to, but then you don't get anything, and some of them are cool. It might be better if it informed you which videos are available, then you download which ones you want from the eShop, like the trailers for Luigi's Mansion 2 etc. I suppose the problem is that Nintendo don't own the content, and thus can't offer it indefinitely.

Agreed, it is a pointless app which is currently wasting space on the 3DS for me. How is it the American market gets better content??

Because it's the biggest market so it's easier to make better deals. Strange though that NoE hasn't come up with a more appealing video service yet. I wouldn't mind being able to watch rented movies and TV shows on my 3DS either.

The only "problem" I have with Nintendo Video is that it downloads everything without asking which ones you want, therefore wasting bandwidth. You could set it not to, but then you don't get anything, and some of them are cool. It might be better if it informed you which videos are available, then you download which ones you want from the eShop.

Agreed. Everybody but Nintendo seems to agree on that one. The Eurosport app could also have been made a part of the main video app in my opinion. Totally redundant to have two separate video apps when one could have done it with some better planning and technology. Incidentally, I deleted both apps a while ago, so if they have improved (different content, ie no more card tricks or skateboarding) I'd like to know.

I don't personally have the time/patience myself to put in a hundred hours into one game I think.

Actually, having thought about this one some more, I'd like to correct myself regarding time spent on games. I think it's all about devotion (or even determination when you're stuck in that game or just want to complete it).

My problem is though that I tend to buy way more games than I have time to play. And with that comes the problem - having 50 games or more I never finished. It annoys me a little why I just can't concentrate on one game or two at a time and finish them before I look elsewhere for new games. It's like I'm drowning in games and never really get the chance to enjoy any of them for long - there's always another game to be played around the corner. Anyone know what I'm talking about? :D

Edited by cvl
Automerged Doublepost

Yeah, I watched the first two or three Eurosport videos when that app came out - watching people fall, cars crash, etc got boring pretty fast. I checked the channel the other week and it still seems to be the same sort of content. :zzz:

Nintendo Video is pretty hit and miss. I liked the Zelda concert videos and some of the film trailers and cartoon shorts have been ok. Theres an Episode One trailer on there at the minute, so @cvl, it's time for you to redownload Nintendo Video!

Actually, having thought about this one some more, I'd like to correct myself regarding time spent on games. I think it's all about devotion (or even determination when you're stuck in that game or just want to complete it).

My problem is though that I tend to buy way more games than I have time to play. And with that comes the problem - having 50 games or more I never finished. It annoys me a little why I just can't concentrate on one game or two at a time and finish them before I look elsewhere for new games. It's like I'm drowning in games and never really get the chance to enjoy any of them for long - there's always another game to be played around the corner. Anyone know what I'm talking about? :D

That is exactly the same with me but I like having many on the go to fit what mood I'm in. :heh:

Incidentally, I deleted both apps a while ago, so if they have improved (different content, ie no more card tricks or skateboarding) I'd like to know.

Well, there have been ones like:

* Red Bull "sport" videos

* Circus acrobatics, juggling etc

* Dance routines

...All valid in their own way, it just depends on your preferences.

Urgh, this is a real issue. Regularly, I get rid of all the games I've either completed (and don't want to play again) or ones I've decided I don't like enough to complete. Recently I've enjoyed short games like Aliens, Thor, Kid Icarus and Metroid II. On the other hand, I spent a whole year playing Dragon Quest IX, so I suppose it's all about focusing on what you like.

Yeah, I watched the first two or three Eurosport videos when that app came out - watching people fall, cars crash, etc got boring pretty fast. I checked the channel the other week and it still seems to be the same sort of content. :zzz:
The vid that had bikini babes was pretty entertaining though. :wink:

They should focus more on that "sport". :laughing:

Nintendo Video is pretty hit and miss. I liked the Zelda concert videos and some of the film trailers and cartoon shorts have been ok. Theres an Episode One trailer on there at the minute, so @cvl, it's time for you to redownload Nintendo Video!
That Star Wars trailer has the worst 3D ever... Absolutely terrible. icon13.gif

As for Nintendo Video in general, yeah... you're definitely right to call it hit and miss. There has been some cool stuff on there though.

Really I think they just need to update it more, and lose the crap stuff. Like those Sky3D adverts... they're a right wast of space. :nono: I mean there are only 4 slots available, using one of those each week for a 50 second advert is a bad idea.

Even so, I don't get why anyone would actually delete/not download Nintendo Video. ::shrug: Unless you've already ran out of space on your SD card or something, and even then I'd suggest getting a larger card over not having the app.

It does get decent content once in a while, plus it's only going to get better with time.

Same deal for the Eurosport one, unless you really hate sport... and bikini babes. :o

In which case I feel very, very sorry for you. :heh:

Argh, please tell me I haven't really missed out on bikini babes!

You sick pup.

I was wondering if the 3D was either very subtle or if I'd just adapted to looking at 3D now because it did lack that wow-factor. Still, it should be a visual treat in the cinema. :cool:

Hopefully those Kid Icarus shorts will be more on the hit side. Wonder if we'll get them through Nintendo Video actually, wouldn't surprise me if we'll get another special app for it:heh:

You sick pup.

Speaking of puppies, is the infamous bikini video still available for download?

Argh, please tell me I haven't really missed out on bikini babes!
I'm afraid so.

But I'm sure there will be more "sport" like that in the future, Eurosport appear to have a lot of content to provide :heh::

:laughing:

You sick pup.
Yeah right, like you didn't enjoy that episode. :D

Still, it should be a visual treat in the cinema. :cool:
I wouldn't count on it, amigo. 2D to 3D conversions never turn out well. :blank:

wouldn't surprise me if we'll get another special app for it:heh:
Probably, it seems that 4 vids is the maximum SpotPass can handle. :hmm:

Agreed. I could barely even tell that it was 3D at all. Complete waste of time.

I wouldn't count on it, amigo. 2D to 3D conversions never turn out well. :blank:

That's not strictly true. The Lion King 3D looked really good from the trailer I saw on one of those 3DTVs! (Granted, they probably still have a lot of the original assets and they can get away with certain tricks since it's animated, but it can still be done much better than what Lucasfilm are shitting out!)

Speaking of which, what the hell is happening with Netflix 3DS? It's available on every single platform that it has been released on in the US, with the sole exception of the 3DS! Are they waiting to start some sort of 3D film streaming before releasing it or something?

Edited by Dcubed

That is exactly the same with me but I like having many on the go to fit what mood I'm in. :heh:

Yeah, I agree with having many different game genres available, it's nice. But does it bother you that you're never going to complete all of your games or do you indeed plan on finishing them all eventually?

Well, there have been ones like:

* Red Bull "sport" videos

* Circus acrobatics, juggling etc

* Dance routines

...All valid in their own way, it just depends on your preferences.

Urgh, this is a real issue. Regularly, I get rid of all the games I've either completed (and don't want to play again) or ones I've decided I don't like enough to complete. Recently I've enjoyed short games like Aliens, Thor, Kid Icarus and Metroid II. On the other hand, I spent a whole year playing Dragon Quest IX, so I suppose it's all about focusing on what you like.

Thanks for the heads-up regarding the video service content. Also, I like how you decided to get rid of games you have no interest in playing again. I'm trying something similar, but still have too many games I can't decide on. It's basically the same with life isn't it!? Perhaps make it more simple and it'll be easier to enjoy? Leonardo da Vinci said "simplicity is the ultimate sophistication". I think I like that.

Even so, I don't get why anyone would actually delete/not download Nintendo Video. ::shrug: Unless you've already ran out of space on your SD card or something, and even then I'd suggest getting a larger card over not having the app.

It does get decent content once in a while, plus it's only going to get better with time.

Same deal for the Eurosport one, unless you really hate sport... and bikini babes. :o

In which case I feel very, very sorry for you. :heh:

Horses for courses. I just found both the apps incredibly boring and decided to remove clutter from the main menu since I can't create folders there. But now you guys start to talk about bikini babes I might reconsider re-installing the apps. :laughing:

Edited by cvl
Automerged Doublepost

That's not strictly true. The Lion King 3D looked really good from the trailer I saw on one of those 3DTVs! (Granted, they probably still have a lot of the original assets and they can get away with certain tricks since it's animated, but it can still be done much better than what Lucasfilm are shitting out!)
I suppose the type of content has a lot to do with it, yeah.

I've never seen a decent 2D to 3D conversion of live action footage though. :blank:

Not trying to start an argument here, it's a genuine question to those of you complaining about videos not being in 3D; why is it that 2D content is not acceptable on the 3DS? Must all content be in 3D, can't we enjoy games and other content in 2D anymore just because the device is suited for 3D content also? Personally, I don't use 3D much (if at all) so I'm kinda indifferent, but I'm curious to know why 2D content seems to be almost condemned now? :wtf:
Personally, I don't have a problem with 2D only content on 3DS. I think the issue with the Star Wars trailer is that it's clearly advertised as 3D, but is in actual fact, as flat as a pancake. :heh:

Horses for courses. I just found both the apps incredibly boring and decided to remove clutter from the main menu since I can't create folders there. But now you guys start to talk about bikini babes I might reconsider re-installing the apps. :laughing:
This is a very good point. My 3DS menu has loads of icons now, what with all the ambassador stuff, the buit-in/downloaded apps, VC/eShop purchases, etc... Some kind of organisation ability would be good. Hopefully Nintendo will make one available via a system update sometime.

Personally, I don't have a problem with 2D only content on 3DS. I think the issue with the Star Wars trailer is that it's clearly advertised as 3D, but is in actual fact, as flat as a pancake. :heh:

Yeah, I guessed it was something like that and that's why I decided to remove my comment. But you were too fast, RedShell. :p

Thanks for the heads-up regarding the video service content. Also, I like how you decided to get rid of games you have no interest in playing again. I'm trying something similar, but still have too many games I can't decide on.

Oh yeah, what I consider my "permanent" games collection is tiny: Wind Waker and Dragon Quest VIII because they're awesome, Metroid Fusion and Metroid: Zero Mission because they're also awesome, Twilight Princess on GameCube because it might be difficult to get hold of the GC version again... and that's about it. Everything else leaves once I've played it!

It's basically the same with life isn't it!? Perhaps make it more simple and it'll be easier to enjoy? Leonardo da Vinci said "simplicity is the ultimate sophistication". I think I like that.

Indeed. Sometimes I forget how much I enjoy just reading a book. Focus, focus, focus on one thing at a time, that's the key.

But now you guys start to talk about bikini babes I might reconsider re-installing the apps. :laughing:

I consider it every 3DS owner's duty to inform us all when there are bikini babes available. I mean, bikini babes... in 3D!!!

Agreed. I could barely even tell that it was 3D at all. Complete waste of time.

Speaking of which, what the hell is happening with Netflix 3DS? It's available on every single platform that it has been released on in the US, with the sole exception of the 3DS! Are they waiting to start some sort of 3D film streaming before releasing it or something?

Lion King 3D at the cinema was the most pointless, useless, god awful 3D I have ever seen!

Lion King 3D at the cinema was the most pointless, useless, god awful 3D I have ever seen!

Really? Maybe they only showed the good looking bits in that trailer then :(

But either way, 2D to 3D conversion of film is typically crap though.