N-Europe

General Retro Discussion

tapedeck

I'm sure it'll be a lovely piece of hardware, but I already have a MiSTer, an RGB modded N64 + Retrotink 2x + Everdrive (+ most of the physical carts I want; I don't play anything via the Everdrive I don't already own) and the Switch N64 NSO service... My N64 needs are well covered.

Without Open FPGA support? I can't justify a purchase; especially when I already have a MiSTer and an Analogue Pocket + Dock already.

1 hour ago, Ike said:

I can't decide if I want one. Probably only play OoT and MM on it. Mind you, those at 4k!?

Keep in mind that the games are still running in their original 240p/480i resolutions, just upscaled to 4k via the built-in video scaler.

If you have a Retrotink 4K? That'll do the same thing.

Edited by Dcubed

3 hours ago, Ashley said:

I'm kind of tempted too. Bought Beetle Adventure Racing months ago and have nothing to play it on. 

I offered you an N64, that offer still stands. :peace:

Mind you... with space being a consideration, the Analogue consoles are typically smaller than the original hardware, so this would be a decent buy, especially as it has expansion pak support built in.

- - - - -

I always said if Analogue made an N64 console I'd be interested, but then... that was a year or two ago, and I didn't know I'd be running a shop which sells videogames at that point, so financially, I probably couldn't justify it right now, even though it is a good price.

Plus, as I understand it, there's a chance that an Everdrive won't work with it? If that's the case, then that makes it not quite as appealing, as I'd want to play not only standard carts on it, but also new versions of games I already own, such as the upcoming Return to Yoshi's Island based on Super Mario 64.

As a piece of hardware though, which is aimed at preserving retro games? This is fantastic, and I would totally pre-order one if I had the required amount spare right now.

At just over £200 or so, including shipping and customs combined, it's very much worth considering.

Your average original N64 console with an Expansion Pak, in good condition can set you back around £100... plus all the required hardware to upscale etc, it would cost the same, if not more.

We'll see how the rest of the week goes, I could still pre-order one...

9 hours ago, S.C.G said:

Mind you... with space being a consideration, the Analogue consoles are typically smaller than the original hardware, so this would be a decent buy, especially as it has expansion pak support built in.

- - - - -

I always said if Analogue made an N64 console I'd be interested, but then... that was a year or two ago, and I didn't know I'd be running a shop which sells videogames at that point, so financially, I probably couldn't justify it right now, even though it is a good price.

Plus, as I understand it, there's a chance that an Everdrive won't work with it? If that's the case, then that makes it not quite as appealing, as I'd want to play not only standard carts on it, but also new versions of games I already own, such as the upcoming Return to Yoshi's Island based on Super Mario 64.

As a piece of hardware though, which is aimed at preserving retro games? This is fantastic, and I would totally pre-order one if I had the required amount spare right now.

At just over £200 or so, including shipping and customs combined, it's very much worth considering.

Your average original N64 console with an Expansion Pak, in good condition can set you back around £100... plus all the required hardware to upscale etc, it would cost the same, if not more.

There's no reason why the Everdrive wouldn't work with it.  All of the previous Everdrives have worked on the Analogue consoles, people are just scaremongering online for kicks.

But yeah, this is a great price for the hardware this is packing.  If I didn't already have a bunch of hardware that can play N64 games? I'd be all over this.

• Thanks 1

On 10/16/2024 at 11:33 PM, S.C.G said:

- - - - -

That you did! 

But I won't actually get it for the same reasons I said to yourself. I won't actually play it, it's just new tech so naturally I want it. But I won't.